Sat 27th-Sun 28th May: The Betfred Championship Summer Bash Match Thread

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Last year and this ( only from what I've read on here ) it hasn't worked , if Blackpool is no longer an option I don't really see where it can go to achieve what it previously did

Shame there's no suitable venue on the east coast. Scarbados and Brid would be ideal places (plus I've got a flat in Filey, so it'd be nice and cheap for me 😜).

That said, it's probably a bit posh for you lot from the scruffy side of the hill.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Leonard said:

Have you ever been to a Bash?

Every London broncos one since 2007

(millenium magic anyone), up ro 2018.

I hated Blackpool TBH, but it is what it is. Did not go this year or last year

[Disclamer :- I only went one day (the day of the Broncos game)

Edited by crashmon

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Shame there's no suitable venue on the east coast. Scarbados and Brid would be ideal places (plus I've got a flat in Filey, so it'd be nice and cheap for me 😜).

That said, it's probably a bit posh for you lot from the scruffy side of the hill.

Scarborough FC had a stadium didn't they? Why not just host it wherever that ended up? 😜

• Haha 7

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

15 minutes ago, Dovster said:

Very poor attendance. Averaging under 1k per game.

I think the fans have voted to stop the bash.

Could've should've been so much better.

The last 2 venues aren't worthy of fans support 

A weekend away in Leeds or York compared to Blackpool?

The RFL are to blame. Plenty of fans were asking for it go back to Blackpool

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bulls2487 said:

The last 2 venues aren't worthy of fans support 

A weekend away in Leeds or York compared to Blackpool?

The RFL are to blame. Plenty of fans were asking for it go back to Blackpool

And for the one millionth time, Blackpool weren't interested in hosting it.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Just shows why the people who are pushing for York to be given a place in SL need a rethink......

I reckon if York were in SL, the people of York would know all about it.

Most of the people in York had no idea whatsoever that the Summer Bash was happening as the RFL had not marketed it in the city at all. The only marketing of the event was at the ground itself and that was done by the Knights. 

The RFL obviously aren't interested.

• Like 1

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

2 hours ago, POR said:

6,741 people turned up over the two days with 3,793 flocking to North Yorkshire on the first day and 2,948 on the second day.

That's really poor. We've got half the league in Yorkshire and tickets could be got for as little as a tenner.

Clubs bear a lot of responsibility here.  Didn't see much of a sales push on socials from anyone except Fev (who managed to sell about 1/3 of the Saturday attendance). IIRC clubs kept most of the direct sales they made.  'fax, Bulls, Batley, York etc have literally let easy money slip through their fingers.

Edited by David Shepherd

14 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

Most of the people in York had no idea whatsoever that the Summer Bash was happening as the RFL had not marketed it in the city at all. The only marketing of the event was at the ground itself and that was done by the Knights. 

The RFL could and should have been marketing the event in the city.

The clubs involved were fairly silent about it on their social media channels. They bear equal responsibility for the low attendance. IIRC most of the direct sales they made went straight into their own coffers.

Edited by David Shepherd

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

The RFL could and should have been marketing the event in the city.

The clubs involved were fairly silent about it on their social media channels. They bear equal responsibility for the low attendance. IIRC most of the direct sales they made went straight into their own coffers.

Maybe the clubs themselves are trying to kill it off?

From the "typical RL" files...

Journalist John Davidson has written a piece via the Patreon/rugbyleaguehub.com website (behind a paywall) demanding an end to the Bash because of the low attendances, lack of interest etc. He's probably got a point.

But when you look at his Twitter timeline, literally the only comments he has made about the Bash are knocking it after it has taken place.

Which games did he enjoy most? Was he impressed with any particular individuals? Why isn't his timeline full of play-by-play discussions of the games, why weren't there previews and reports of the games on the rugbyleaguehub website?

Looks like the RFL weren't the only ones who couldn't be bothered to make an effort with the bash.

5 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

York could have done their own publicity.

Novel idea, I know. Are York interested?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

45 minutes ago, Griff said:

York could have done their own publicity.

Novel idea, I know. Are York interested?

I guess as a city they see no value... unlike say for instance a tour or road cycle event that has been sold well by the administrators of said event showing a commercial value. I just use cycle as an example, the point being it needs selling. Assuming the sport themselves have invested and built it so it has a commercial value to a place.

On 28/05/2023 at 21:41, David Shepherd said:

Yeah, unnecessarily skews the league, for little (if any) financial gain.

Skewing the league isn’t an issue if you have playoffs for the title / promotion - that’s kind of the point

8 hours ago, redjonn said:

I guess as a city they see no value... unlike say for instance a tour or road cycle event that has been sold well by the administrators of said event showing a commercial value. I just use cycle as an example, the point being it needs selling. Assuming the sport themselves have invested and built it so it has a commercial value to a place.

Let me rephrase that.

Are York Knights interested? Did they do enough to sell tickets?

15 minutes ago, Griff said:

Let me rephrase that.

Are York Knights interested? Did they do enough to sell tickets?

Did Sheffield buy enough into the summer bash also? No point, pointing the finger at York when every team also had to do their part. It's a community day. York should of done more maybe. But so should every club in drumming up support of their own team. Featherstone did lots of promotion for it. Did Sheffield? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wolfey Rovers said:

Did Sheffield buy enough into the summer bash also? No point, pointing the finger at York when every team also had to do their part. It's a community day. York should of done more maybe. But so should every club in drumming up support of their own team. Featherstone did lots of promotion for it. Did Sheffield? 

Sold more tickets than York, apparently.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Thats twice in 24 hours that you've chucked this bait out... 

Nothing gets past you Gav......

15 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

That's really poor. We've got half the league in Yorkshire and tickets could be got for as little as a tenner.

Clubs bear a lot of responsibility here.  Didn't see much of a sales push on socials from anyone except Fev (who managed to sell about 1/3 of the Saturday attendance). IIRC clubs kept most of the direct sales they made.  'fax, Bulls, Batley, York etc have literally let easy money slip through their fingers.

There seems to be conflicting reports, as previously mentioned on here I really wasn't that bothered for going but by the time I found out it was on TV I were still considering going until Fax put a post out stating their tickets of their main allocation had sold out although they did have some other tickets for other stands so that made my mind up that if I wasn't going to be with the majority of the Fax fans I wouldn't go.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Skewing the league isn’t an issue if you have playoffs for the title / promotion - that’s kind of the point

No such luxury at the other end of the table though. If we're having a skewed league, surely there should be some kind of play off to determine relegation?

• Like 2