Sat 27th-Sun 28th May: The Betfred Championship Summer Bash Match Thread

If the Bash is to continue, it needs to be located in a stadium with easy/close access to a city/town centre. The York stadium, is too far from the city centre to attract people.

I suggest the Etihaad training stadium, which is a short tram ride or even walk from Manchester City Centre. Plus it’s not a regular RL stadium so makes things a little different.

1 hour ago, Wolfey Rovers said:

Did Sheffield buy enough into the summer bash also? No point, pointing the finger at York when every team also had to do their part. It's a community day. York should of done more maybe. But so should every club in drumming up support of their own team. Featherstone did lots of promotion for it. Did Sheffield? 

I guess all clubs including Superleague should have been promoting it... as a celebration of championship RL... although I realise it may get in the way of promoting Magic... gosh did they do a promotional ticketing of both events of two for one...

3 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

If the Bash is to continue, it needs to be located in a stadium with easy/close access to a city/town centre. The York stadium, is too far from the city centre to attract people.

I suggest the Etihaad training stadium, which is a short tram ride or even walk from Manchester City Centre. Plus it’s not a regular RL stadium so makes things a little different.

So York's stadium's problem is that it's a ten minute bus shuttle or thirty minute walk from the city centre, so your suggestion is a stadium that is a ten minute tram shuttle or thirty minute walk from the city centre. Have I got that right?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

So the problem of playing at a stadium too far from a city centre is fixed by playing at a stadium even further out from the city centre? Handy for Greggs though, I suppose.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

And for the one millionth time, Blackpool weren't interested in hosting it.

Really G according to TRL 

the appetite for Bloomfield Road to host the Bash had not disappeared on the side of Blackpool, merely that there was an issue with the ground’s availability.

With such a short space of time between now and the new football season – which begins at the start of August – this was the only viable time for the Tangerines to relay the turf in time for that to occur.

25 minutes ago, POR said:

Really G according to TRL 

the appetite for Bloomfield Road to host the Bash had not disappeared on the side of Blackpool, merely that there was an issue with the ground’s availability.

With such a short space of time between now and the new football season – which begins at the start of August – this was the only viable time for the Tangerines to relay the turf in time for that to occur.

Right, so they're not interested in hosting it.

7 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Right, so they're not interested in hosting it.

What part of the only viable time for the Tangerines to relay the turf in time for that to occur .don't you understand

22 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

And for the one millionth time, Blackpool weren't interested in hosting it.

I wasn't aware of that

The RFL should ask the fans what they want from the Summer Bash as clearly York is not the answer with it having the lowest attendance of any bash.

I remember I was quite critical of the choosing of York at the time and plenty were saying its a good choice. Clearly the opposite with the attendance.

3 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Frequent and quick trams pal.

Versus frequent and quick buses, or even just walking? Seriously doubt there's anyone who was put off going to York because of transport from the city centre who would have gone if it had been in east Manchester. Maybe a few Swinton fans. 

53 minutes ago, JonM said:

Versus frequent and quick buses, or even just walking? Seriously doubt there's anyone who was put off going to York because of transport from the city centre who would have gone if it had been in east Manchester. Maybe a few Swinton fans. 

Ok 

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

Blackpool could host it if they want, they choose not to. It really is that simple. 

Chose or choose ?

They didn't want it this year or they'll never, ever, ever, ever, host it again ?

Whilst accepting that there may not be one to host in the future, of course.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

Chose or choose ?

They didn't want it this year or they'll never, ever, ever, ever, host it again ?

Whilst accepting that there may not be one to host in the future, of course.

Either works.

They didn't want it last year or this. Unless something drastic changes in future, I doubt that will change.

10 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

No such luxury at the other end of the table though. If we're having a skewed league, surely there should be some kind of play off to determine relegation?

How about play offs to get into the playoffs 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

On 27/05/2023 at 19:51, Piggy's mate said:

Red card for Briscoe?? 

On 27/05/2023 at 19:54, spanishknight said:

Should have been

On 27/05/2023 at 20:02, The Phantom Horseman said:

Nah. Careless are worst, wasn't looking at Fitzsimons and was struggling to get up and play the ball. Unfortunate that Fitzsimons got cut but wasn't malicious.

Unsurprisingly, no further action at the discplinary. "Player is freeing arm to get up after a tackle. No striking action." The commentator on ViaPlay got a bit carried away at his first viewing from one particular angle, Kevin Brown and Kyle Amor's assesments after seeing the other angle were the correct ones imo.

Fitzsimons got a fine but no ban, which I also thought was fair enough.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Unsurprisingly, no further action at the discplinary. "Player is freeing arm to get up after a tackle. No striking action." The commentator on ViaPlay got a bit carried away at his first viewing from one particular angle, Kevin Brown and Kyle Amor's assesments after seeing the other angle were the correct ones imo.

Fitzsimons got a fine but no ban, which I also thought was fair enough.

No ban for the kick? Looks like going down the eye for an eye route.

On 30/05/2023 at 17:58, The Phantom Horseman said:

From the "typical RL" files...

Journalist John Davidson has written a piece via the Patreon/rugbyleaguehub.com website (behind a paywall) demanding an end to the Bash because of the low attendances, lack of interest etc. He's probably got a point.

But when you look at his Twitter timeline, literally the only comments he has made about the Bash are knocking it after it has taken place.

Which games did he enjoy most? Was he impressed with any particular individuals? Why isn't his timeline full of play-by-play discussions of the games, why weren't there previews and reports of the games on the rugbyleaguehub website?

Looks like the RFL weren't the only ones who couldn't be bothered to make an effort with the bash.

But is any media outlet paying for him to cover it? The broadcaster couldn't be bothered!