Any idea when we'll know CC Semi Final Venue(s)?

9 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Probably when they know for definite the teams in them ?

Surely decisions have been made about where the matches will be played by now though. Unless they're not bothering to having neutral venues this year.

21 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

Surely decisions have been made about where the matches will be played by now though. Unless they're not bothering to having neutral venues this year.

It's RL we're talking about.

• Like 1

I hope we do go back to standalone semi finals. Maybe we will with the women's final at Wembley this year.

The atmosphere, occasion and look of the events are far better for having two smaller but more full stadiums by comparison to one larger stadium half empty for both matches. Especially when the cumulative attendance has been pretty much the same regardless of whether we have double headers or not.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I hope we do go back to standalone semi finals. Maybe we will with the women's final at Wembley this year.

The atmosphere, occasion and look of the events are far better for having two smaller but more full stadiums by comparison to one larger stadium half empty for both matches. Especially when the cumulative attendance has been pretty much the same regardless of whether we have double headers or not.

Yeah, but many times we still just had a small venue that was pretty sparse in places.

• Sad 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

37 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

https://www.hullfc.com/blog/2021/12/03/elland-road-to-host-challenge-cup-semi-finals/

3rd December 2021 for the 2022 announcement. What's going on?

This was only when it was a double header.

By the looks of it, they'll be going back to 2 smaller venues, or they're waiting to see who the teams are and pick a double header venue that will be more fitting of those teams? 🤷

• Sad 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Just now, Wellsy4HullFC said:

This was only when it was a double header.

By the looks of it, they'll be going back to 2 smaller venues, or they're waiting to see who the teams are and pick a double header venue that will be more fitting of those teams? 🤷

You can't just "pick" a venue with about 4 weeks notice. Things need to be booked in advance.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

You can't just "pick" a venue with about 4 weeks notice. Things need to be booked in advance.

As the RFL haven't been selling tickets for a double header already then it seems likely we will have two standalone semi finals as we used to. In that case then some of the venues likely to play host to a semi final (given the venues that were used in the recent past) are the home venues of teams that are still competing in the cup (St Helens, Warrington, Salford, Leigh, York, Hull KR). If the RFL announced for example holding two semi finals at Craven Park and Totally Wicked Stadium and then saw a Hull KR v Saints semi final eventuate they are stuck with a late change in plans anyway to get a neutral venue. Or if they announced two venues in Yorkshire but end up with Salford, Leigh and Saints plus Wigan/Warrington then they are looking at poorer attendances as fewer fans will travel.

The semi final venues were always chosen (or confirmed at least) once the competing teams were known to avoid such issues. It is possible that potential venues have been sounded out already to create a shortlist of options but there is no need for a public confirmation until it is known which teams will be in the semi finals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They were always announced once semi finalist were known until the advent of the double header.  The double header works if it’s an event that can be sold over 12m I think, but strange to announce the venue late - unless it’s going back to two standalone venues (Leigh & Hudds 😂)

• Haha 1

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

14 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

One of the best games I've been to in recent years was a standalone semi. Hull v Leeds at a packed Keepmoat, the atmosphere was absolutely incredible. I queued for hours outside the MKM to get tickets for that game and it was so worth it. Brilliant game, amazing crowd, exactly what the cup should be. 

I also remember a great Bulls v Leeds semi at Hudds when Brian Mac decided to mix rugby up with a bit of boxing 😂 if the right (big) teams are at the right venue it can be great. 

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

3 hours ago, sam4731 said:

You can of its a RL venue which is where it tends to be, wazza,  saints, Leeds etc..

Suppose they could book west Yorkshire venues now as they are central and would be neutral 

Without the double header, it would be mad to nail down the venues before the semi finalists are known.

Perhaps I'm giving them too much credit but I expect they will have provisional bookings at 2/3 of the usual places - Leeds, Warrington, Leigh, Doncaster etc - and then will confirm once the draw is done.

It should be straightforward-ish as the non-northern teams have all gone out.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

CC Semi Finals. Anyone able to list the top 10 crowds in history?

I am guessing crowds these days are a long way off.

If my guess is correct, what would you suggest to draw 20k+ to two individual CC Semi Final fixtures?

12 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

CC Semi Finals. Anyone able to list the top 10 crowds in history?

I am guessing crowds these days are a long way off.

If my guess is correct, what would you suggest to draw 20k+ to two individual CC Semi Final fixtures?

When looking at current crowds its tough to say as the last few have been double headers which (excepting 2020 and 2021 for obvious reason) have been 20-25k.. 

pre that the semi finals were 10k and 15k... all the information is on Wikipedia if anyone can be bothered to go through year by year.. but that give the general theme at the moment.. going too far back and you start mixing eras and thats hard to then judge today on really. 

The key to getting 20k+ is, to start, holding it in grounds that can handle 20k+... 2017 had one held at the Helliwell Jones which is a 15k stadium.. 2016 was 10k and 10k held at grounds with a 12k and 15k capacity etc.. 

The general CC issues are being covered on another thread and there is a combination of those plus the right teams getting to that stage (different games should have different aims). 

Its not that far off to be honest but general interest in the cup needs to rise to get those semi-final crowds up along with the game itself being a bit more unique, it can be, sometimes, one of 5 times a season those teams play each other, thats far too many which is why the cup itself needs to be raised in profile to make it more unique of an occasion .. oh and make it an occasion not just a match. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If Leigh could reach the final against Wigan that would make for a good sporting story in the Challenge Cup this year.

Edit: sorry Leigh fans, I don’t mean to jinx it!

The BBC have been shooting the documentary for weeks. “Where Leopards Dare” is the title I understand

• Haha 1