York city

Wiggyroad

In the press tonight that Clint is in talks about investment into York City. For goodness sake he has hardly set York Knights alight since he arrived. He has very little regard for the fans and he seems to think sponsors will pay for the club moving forward. I am beginning to think he is another John Batchelor type of character who had City years ago. I am sure that many will disagree but he needs to prove he can take the rugby club forward first before he gets involved in the football club otherwise I think he will leave two clubs in trouble 

• Like 1

Totally agree. He doesn't seem to want to dip his hand in his pocket to strengthen the Knights in a bid to reach a play off place,, yet he seems willing to buy a major shareholding in the football club. I get the impression the Knights, and now maybe York City are merely business opportunities for him, he isn't too bothered about what is happening on the field.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Wiggyroad said:

In the press tonight that Clint is in talks about investment into York City. For goodness sake he has hardly set York Knights alight since he arrived. He has very little regard for the fans and he seems to think sponsors will pay for the club moving forward. I am beginning to think he is another John Batchelor type of character who had City years ago. I am sure that many will disagree but he needs to prove he can take the rugby club forward first before he gets involved in the football club otherwise I think he will leave two clubs in trouble 

Got to agree with wiggyroad think Clint needs to get the knights right before even thinking of taking city on who are in absolute mess with the finances and does Clint even have the money to buy Henderson out?

I’ve done some cursory research into the MYOL group (his business) but haven’t found much as it seems to be registered in Colorado. How many people do they employ? What’s their t/o? CEO of the business I work for (and he co-founded) is worth getting on for £300m. That will triple by 2026 if all goes to plan. Shame he’s got no interest in. RL. That’s real money. 

1 hour ago, Puk said:

Got to agree with wiggyroad think Clint needs to get the knights right before even thinking of taking city on who are in absolute mess with the finances and does Clint even have the money to buy Henderson out?

For want of a better term this season is and always was going to be a write off, why waste good money signing players for a play off place, that is the reality, Featherstone will get promoted this season, we were never going to, we are not ready yet, far better to have a respectable season and hopefully finish mid table and build from there. Hendo inherited a squad that has been plagued with injuries, they were brought in by Fordy who then left leaving us with what we have got. Judge Hendo and Clint on next season, let’s see who he brings in for that push, you may not like it but if you had listened to Clint in any of his interviews he has stated this all along. We have been very unlucky so far with the injury situation and all things being equal if those guys had been fit we would have probably been top 4 but we aren’t, it is what it is.

• Like 7

How do you work out this season was always going to be a write off? I don't recall anybody at the club saying that either in the press or at the forum. You can't have it both ways. In one breath you are saying without injuries we have a top 4 squad, in the next breath you're saying the squad Hendo inherited isn't good enough.  I don't disagree that Hendo inherited this squad, BUT, how many of those signings and contract extensions were down to James Ford? Nobody will convince me there wasn't a fair bit of interference from the Chairman, and that is why Fordy moved on. It is not healthy for a club chairman to be interfering in team selection and recruitment.

I accept it is the Chairman's money, but surely the coach as the right to try to sign, or at least suggest, the players he wants to move the club forward. 

Edited by HaxbyKnight
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

For want of a better term this season is and always was going to be a write off, why waste good money signing players for a play off place, that is the reality, Featherstone will get promoted this season, we were never going to, we are not ready yet, far better to have a respectable season and hopefully finish mid table and build from there. Hendo inherited a squad that has been plagued with injuries, they were brought in by Fordy who then left leaving us with what we have got. Judge Hendo and Clint on next season, let’s see who he brings in for that push, you may not like it but if you had listened to Clint in any of his interviews he has stated this all along. We have been very unlucky so far with the injury situation and all things being equal if those guys had been fit we would have probably been top 4 but we aren’t, it is what it is.

At last, a voice of reason. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

How do you work out this season was always going to be a write off? I don't recall anybody at the club saying that either in the press or at the forum. You can't have it both ways. In one breath you are saying without injuries we have a top 4 squad, in the next breath you're saying the squad Hendo inherited isn't good enough.  I don't disagree that Hendo inherited this squad, BUT, how many of those signings and contract extensions were down to James Ford? Nobody will convince me there wasn't a fair bit of interference from the Chairman, and that is why Fordy moved on. It is not healthy for a club chairman to be interfering in team selection and recruitment.

I accept it is the Chairman's money, but surely the coach as the right to sign the players he wants to move the club forward. 

The reality is this season we started with many injured players, most of them long term, Clint, if you listened to him, and Hendo, both have said it is not about this season it is the seasons beyond with hopefully a progression into super League in season 2025. This squad was signed by Ford. And I stand by that if they were fit they would be a top 4 side, but they aren’t and weren’t at the start of the season how is that ‘having it both ways’ ? From your comments as to why Ford left I assume you are privy to inside information, I was a big fan of James Ford when  he was here but he had been at the helm too long in my opinion, his plays were far too predictable and to be honest the team were playing some boring football, we have seen more exciting plays so far this season even with the decimated squad we have. But that is just my opinion , what do I know.

• Like 7

I'm not privy to any information, it's just my opinion based on my interpretation of what I hear at the matches and in interviews. I know this season is a struggle, but we need to finish as high as possible in  the league as league positions will count for the IMG gradings. It will also help attract new players for next season. We are where we are, as they say, let's hope the injuries clear up and we can string a few wins together.

• Like 1

I think we need to give Clint time I met him at the office he seemed very passionate about the club and this season we have added levi on a 3 year deal also Oli field good young talent for the future.

I know a lot want us to bring more players in but where are the players going to come from? Every team has injuries and there isn’t a abundance of quality players available mid season and by rushing you can make the wrong signings.

A win on Sunday changes the mood again but we are in the quarter finals of the challenge cup one match away from Wembley in the1895 cup let’s think where we were only a few years ago.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Roger York said:

I think we need to give Clint time I met him at the office he seemed very passionate about the club and this season we have added levi on a 3 year deal also Oli field good young talent for the future.

I know a lot want us to bring more players in but where are the players going to come from? Every team has injuries and there isn’t a abundance of quality players available mid season and by rushing you can make the wrong signings.

A win on Sunday changes the mood again but we are in the quarter finals of the challenge cup one match away from Wembley in the1895 cup let’s think where we were only a few years ago.

Well said.

• Like 1

Don’t know anything about the knights finances but have always assumed that they at least break even and carry no debts. However city allegedly have huge debts and it gets bigger every year even with the outstanding support they get. If true why on earth would you want to get in bed with that?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

Don’t know anything about the knights finances but have always assumed that they at least break even and carry no debts. However city allegedly have huge debts and it gets bigger every year even with the outstanding support they get. If true why on earth would you want to get in bed with that?

Just think about it, at the moment York City or a company which is part of them runs the stadium and no doubt gets a lions share of the income from the bars etc, they have along term lease on the stadium, so, and I don’t know if this is the case, if the owner of the Knights buys York City he gets all that, therefore in a stroke the Knights benefit from the income the stadium generates, they, I presume, would also benefit from the lease arrangement and should the football club fail, get the whole lot. I find the irony quite amusing, it’s not that many years ago certain factions of the York City FC supporters wouldn’t even help us in our darkest hour. It would seem from comments in the press there are still a few of those around even now.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

Just think about it, at the moment York City or a company which is part of them runs the stadium and no doubt gets a lions share of the income from the bars etc, they have along term lease on the stadium, so, and I don’t know if this is the case, if the owner of the Knights buys York City he gets all that, therefore in a stroke the Knights benefit from the income the stadium generates, they, I presume, would also benefit from the lease arrangement and should the football club fail, get the whole lot. I find the irony quite amusing, it’s not that many years ago certain factions of the York City FC supporters wouldn’t even help us in our darkest hour. It would seem from comments in the press there are still a few of those around even now.

In that same stoke he will be taking on a club that is haemorrhaging money with historical debts. Personally think it’s just fantasy 

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

26 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

True, best leave it alone.

I tend to agree with you, I never said I thought it was a good idea, just what I thought might be behind it. Personally I think there is too much that is toxic at the football club and I would hate it if it dragged us down, but I still find the irony amusing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DEANO said:

In that same stoke he will be taking on a club that is haemorrhaging money with historical debts. Personally think it’s just fantasy 

Like walking into quicksand if Clint has to borrow money to buy Hendersons shares.

Personally i wouldn't be investing my money into buying a season ticket for York City at the moment because i wouldn't be sure if Henderson would be investing it back into the football club.

• Like 1