Now is the time

Now is the time for the game to strike and go for some serious overseas investment in the game.

Club RU is in a total mess London Irish on the verge Leicester hanging on by their bootlaces.

As a sport we are totally  undervalued with a fantastic historic fan base.

Expect calls from some for a merger of the codes this must be resisted at all costs.

Interesting times 

Paul

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Expect calls from some for a merger of the codes ...

Nobody has made a serious call to merge the codes in a hundred years.

Nobody is about to start now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Now is the time for the game to strike and go for some serious overseas investment in the game.

Club RU is in a total mess London Irish on the verge Leicester hanging on by their bootlaces.

Expect calls from some for a merger of the codes this must be resisted at all costs.

Interesting times 

Paul

Agree on the investment. Here in Wales the RU game is ta king a hammering at all levels. The lads at Academy level are all leaving for England which ishaving an impact on the places for English kids already there. A proper serious investor for a S Wales club right now could do a lot worse….

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Agree on the investment. Here in Wales the RU game is ta king a hammering at all levels. The lads at Academy level are all leaving for England which ishaving an impact on the places for English kids already there. A proper serious investor for a S Wales club right now could do a lot worse….

7 minutes ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Totally agree. The WRU are having all sorts of problems including investigations of a toxic culture. The regional team are in meltdown and the National team has lost 4 of its most experienced players this month!  Players could be looking for a fresh break; a good RL leader, and some progressive investors in Cardiff or Swansea could reap the benefits.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Interesting times 

Paul

Leicester Tigers are the biggest rugby club in England of either code, by audience size and membership. Even if they are carrying debt, they own assets and the business can easily be refinanced whether by current or future owners. 

More widely, unlike rugby league, rugby union has significant central revenue generation capability through the England national team and the Twickenham site. So from a governance perspective are much better placed to fix any problems their clubs may have. Debt is a problem of the current club owners, not for the game as a whole. They can see some individual "businesses" sink and be in a good position to reboot. 

Much as I dislike rugby union, let's not overestimate the scale of its current challenges in England compared to our own. Think that's wishful thinking. 

• Like 8

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Reading the OP he makes it sound like Rugby League has a choice about this and can just click it's fingers and get overseas investment. It's never been a conscious choice not to have overseas investment, more that the sport has never been attractive enough to attract it. I don't see anything that has changed to encourage an overseas investor to plough money into a SL club. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Reading the OP he makes it sound like Rugby League has a choice about this and can just click it's fingers and get overseas investment. It's never been a conscious choice not to have overseas investment, more that the sport has never been attractive enough to attract it. I don't see anything that has changed to encourage an overseas investor to plough money into a SL club. 

I think @ATLANTISMAN is pointing out the lack of vision and strategy at the top. When opportunities like the one I describe here in Wales are happening they should already be in a position to pounce and have a plan and finances in place. Sadly it never is…..

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Interesting times 

Paul

Don’t worry, club RU is saved. Ralph to the rescue.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Nobody has made a serious call to merge the codes in a hundred years.

Nobody is about to start now.

In fairness I don't think it's a massively unrealistic proposition way down the line dependent on how the current legal cases go. There might be a point if it goes badly for the governing bodies that a unified and sanitised version of the game just makes sense for all parties. It won't be through the strength of our game here it will be through the NRL's position and geographical positioning that we'd get invited along for the ride. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

11 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

In fairness I don't think it's a massively unrealistic proposition way down the line dependent on how the current legal cases go. There might be a point if it goes badly for the governing bodies that a unified and sanitised version of the game just makes sense for all parties. It won't be through the strength of our game here it will be through the NRL's position and geographical positioning that we'd get invited along for the ride. 

I still don't see it because there are too many leaps into the unknown to get there. There are plenty of 'safe' team sports that could step in simply should the legal cases be as devastating as you suggest to make any steps to merger somewhat redundant.

Who knows though. Either way, it's not going to happen because London Irish have gone bust.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gogledd said:

Totally agree. The WRU are having all sorts of problems including investigations of a toxic culture. The regional team are in meltdown and the National team has lost 4 of its most experienced players this month!  Players could be looking for a fresh break; a good RL leader, and some progressive investors in Cardiff or Swansea could reap the benefits.

Cardiff should be the target, shame no money for development- hopefully one day…

• Like 2

Sorry, dont mean to be a party pooper but despite some RU clubs falling by the wayside for overextending their reach (the same way that some football clubs do) the revenue of their club game is be on a different scale, and at the top end does not include tiny towns that noone has ever heard in their premier leagues and in their version of the champions league.  This is in stark contrast to Rugby league where we have tiny population towns at the top of the English game and barely anything else in the northern hemisphere to speak of.  Let's not even get started on the attendances at internationals..... to be fair, there are a fair number on here who are very happy to hold back the game so that their own small town can be a big fish in a small pond (cough, cough, certain posters implicated).  I just wish that our sport had proper vision and ambition, but, alas, no.

Edited by Hello
  • Like 7

As pleasing as it is to see The Rimmer (I want to see him in a Zoro style mask and forever called The Rimmer) drafted into the RFU, the simple fact is that it’s not just a couple of English clubs and Wales RU, there are financially secure Irish and French rugby unions along with World Rugby which will not allow RU to wither and die. Not that there is an accomplished and financial RFL or IRL to take advantage in any case.

Baby steps for me. In the Pacific, I would like to see grassroots RU in Samoa and Tonga decimated in place of RL activity. Then expand the same strategy into Fiji. 

As for the European game, it’s been a while since I’ve had any intimate connection with them, but I think the sport is best resourced to focus helping the Serbians to grow RL into the surrounding Balkan countries, sure up the Balkan League and target any dissatisfied clubs with the intention of them completing an 1895 style coup.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hello said:

Sorry, dont mean to be a party pooper but despite some RU clubs falling by the wayside for overextending their reach (the same way that some football clubs do) the revenue of their club game is be on a different scale, and at the top end does not include tiny towns that noone has ever heard in their premier leagues and in their version of the champions league.  This is in stark contrast to Rugby league where we have tiny population towns at the top of the English game and barely anything else in the northern hemisphere to speak of.  Let's not even get started on the attendances at internationals..... to be fair, there are a fair number on here who are very happy to hold back the game so that their own small town can be a big fish in a small pond (cough, cough, certain posters implicated).  I just wish that our sport had proper vision and ambition, but, alas, no.

Not planning to be around long then?