Jake Clifford opts for NRL return at the end of the season.

• Like 2
                                                                  :kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

NRL players toward the end of their career used to come here . Lately quite a few come here with the the aim of catching the eye and going back , and I guess it’s a win win if they manage it with good performances so fair enough . And some love it and want to stay !

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

NRL players toward the end of their career used to come here . Lately quite a few come here with the the aim of catching the eye and going back , and I guess it’s a win win if they manage it with good performances so fair enough . And some love it and want to stay !

Hastings did it after a bit of bother i guess but similar thing 

Sezer was only late twenties when he came and certainly not washed up 

What's Tex Hoy's story? 

SL clubs have to pay each import at least £100k, unless they have a British passport or have played a certain amount of international games over a certain period of time.

Our competition would be better if we could get visas for young lads in the NSW and QLD cups who can't get a game because they're behind the real top players over there.

Think it's a joke that British clubs are paying 6 figure wages for players like Clifford. He's had a good 6-8 weeks, some NRL club will have had a word in his ear. Now he's off.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Welshleaguelover said:

SL clubs have to pay each import at least £100k, unless they have a British passport or have played a certain amount of international games over a certain period of time.

Our competition would be better if we could get visas for young lads in the NSW and QLD cups who can't get a game because they're behind the real top players over there.

Think it's a joke that British clubs are paying 6 figure wages for players like Clifford. He's had a good 6-8 weeks, some NRL club will have had a word in his ear. Now he's off.

That isn't true. They are eligible after a number of NRL games.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Dissapointing he's going back after the one year , has he been promised a starting spot ? 

Nope. Just a Cowboys Top 30 contract rather than a feeder club spot. If he gets more than 3 games he’ll have done well. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Well ,although I'm obviously disappointed that he's going home, I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to watch him perform. He's been a breath of fresh air and brought some real talent. I'm sure he'll continue to perform to his best for the rest of the season and he'll leave with the best wishes from everyone at the club.

• Like 5

I totally understand him wanting to be back in australia with a family and young daughter, somethings just dont add up though. Unless hull fc have just offered him the biggest salary of any super league player ever.

He was on 400k at knights so around £230k in britain, I imagine he didn't come over for less. now they are reporting fc have offered him double what the cowboys have?

he will be lucky to get a few games with who they have for next year, Im sure he's hoping to get a starting spot but i cant see it. Good luck to him, he's been great for us and it's a shame we couldn't tempt him to stay. id take happily take tom duffy for a couple of years whilst he develops, he will make clifford look like an amateur by the time he's 25

The risk-reward trade off in signing players from down under is really quite difficult and good recruiters in this country really have to earn their money. If you sign a young-ish player, you run the risk that they will be straight back as soon as an NRL contract comes up, and if it is an experienced player (or one with a young family) you have to hope they are coming with the right attitude and ensure they get the right support to settle in properly. At least in this case Clifford is going at the end of the season so Hull have time to plan what happens next, versus a Josh McGuire type shambles.

The likes of Rhyse Martin and Kane Linnett are absolute gold dust.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 hours ago, Welshleaguelover said:

So to be clear, you don't think Clifford is worth £100,000 per year?

5 hours ago, Just Browny said:

The risk-reward trade off in signing players from down under is really quite difficult and good recruiters in this country really have to earn their money. If you sign a young-ish player, you run the risk that they will be straight back as soon as an NRL contract comes up, and if it is an experienced player (or one with a young family) you have to hope they are coming with the right attitude and ensure they get the right support to settle in properly. At least in this case Clifford is going at the end of the season so Hull have time to plan what happens next, versus a Josh McGuire type shambles.

The likes of Rhyse Martin and Kane Linnett are absolute gold dust.

Spot on, not a problem in the here and now. Only becomes one if we don't find an adequate replacement.

He's been a pleasure to watch and I'm sure he'll have a big say in the rest of the season, injuries permitting as ever of course.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.