Newcastle Thunder

On 16/10/2023 at 09:42, Spidey said:

If their actual bill was £2M they’d be breaking the salary cap as some are PT and would be assigned an equivalent FT equivalent salary for that mechanism

It's moot as that figure is a figment of someone's imagination 

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

If their actual bill was £2M they’d be breaking the salary cap as some are PT and would be assigned an equivalent FT equivalent salary for that mechanism

Is this a fact?  Are part time salaries in RL calculated pro rata to a full time salary for the purposes of Salary Cap?  If so, what is it based on?  A 40hr week, a 37.5hr week, an average week for a SL FT player?

That seems like a hugely difficult thing to calculate.  I'd always assumed that it was the actual amount of money used for wages of players regardless of the hours they put in.  If a player has another job outside RL, but trains (eg) 37.5 hours a week as well, is he FT or PT?

3 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Is this a fact?  Are part time salaries in RL calculated pro rata to a full time salary for the purposes of Salary Cap?  If so, what is it based on?  A 40hr week, a 37.5hr week, an average week for a SL FT player?

That seems like a hugely difficult thing to calculate.  I'd always assumed that it was the actual amount of money used for wages of players regardless of the hours they put in.  If a player has another job outside RL, but trains (eg) 37.5 hours a week as well, is he FT or PT?

The mechanism is covered in the operational rules. Each player is given a salary cap value. It does not always equal what they are actually paid - this covered dispensations like marquee players and club trained also

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Unless they had been given an 'agreed cap' of that amount, but it's moot as that figure is a figment of someone's imagination 

Tbf I said it was an example I never said it was an exact figure, how would I know what any club spends on players, the point I was making was I’d be surprised if we weren’t spending more than any other champ club on players. 

32 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Tbf I said it was an example I never said it was an exact figure, how would I know what any club spends on players, the point I was making was I’d be surprised if we weren’t spending more than any other champ club on players. 

What this season has proved is over spending on your squad doesn’t always get results 

1 minute ago, Rovers13 said:

I actually disagree if it’s done properly like Leigh Wigan and saints it works. 

How many seasons did Leigh overspend and how many times was it successful?

Wigan & Saints don’t overspend - they have a very successful pathway underpinning the first team

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

How many seasons did Leigh overspend and how many times was it successful?

Wigan & Saints don’t overspend - they have a very successful pathway underpinning the first team

Leigh got it right 2 out of 3 times I’d say, but anyway I’d rather my team spend and try to go up than not if they are in a position to do so. 

13 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Leigh got it right 2 out of 3 times I’d say, but anyway I’d rather my team spend and try to go up than not if they are in a position to do so. 

What about the seasons they missed promotion or missed the 8s?  I think there are more examples of teams wasting money than getting a return. Fev being the latest example

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

What about the seasons they missed promotion or missed the 8s?  I think there are more examples of teams wasting money than getting a return. Fev being the latest example

You maybe right but if a team are in a position to spend it they should, not just Bob along mid table or float With relegation every season like wakey.

Edited by Rovers13

With the statement from Mick Hogan hinting at the funding for the Thunder Academy being cut,does anyone out there know if funding was cut to the other clubs who had ' Elite' Academies?

Should Thunder wish to return to semi - professional ranks it would appear a suitable stadium may prove costly.

Kingston Park don't want them.

Gateshead International Stadium isn't admired by the council

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gateshead-international-stadium-college-12m-27163448

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

26 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

You maybe right but if a team are in a position to spend it they should, not just Bob along mid table or float With relegation every season like wakey.

Surely all these examples are proof it’s how you spend the money not how much of it you spend. Especially in the championship. London have just won the comp on peanuts after all

44 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

With the statement from Mick Hogan hinting at the funding for the Thunder Academy being cut,does anyone out there know if funding was cut to the other clubs who had ' Elite' Academies?

Should Thunder wish to return to semi - professional ranks it would appear a suitable stadium may prove costly.

Kingston Park don't want them.

Gateshead International Stadium isn't admired by the council

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/gateshead-international-stadium-college-12m-27163448

Thunder have played at South Shields FC's Filtrona Park, subject of a major recent revamp. Could be an option, along with Jarrow's Monkton Stadium, which has hosted Thunder games.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovers13 said:

That's all well and good until the club goes bust as we've seen in RL and in other sports including union and football.

9 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

That's all well and good until the club goes bust as we've seen in RL and in other sports including union and football.

I’ve always believed in sport is played on the field not behind a desk with numbers, and tbf to myself I said if they can afford it not spending what they haven’t got. 

52 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Surely all these examples are proof it’s how you spend the money not how much of it you spend. Especially in the championship. London have just won the comp on peanuts after all

Yes it needs to be done properly I certainly agree with that but not on shiny new toilets on coaches players and training equipment etc.

5 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Yes it needs to be done properly I certainly agree with that but not on shiny new toilets on coaches players and training equipment etc.

Not long since I saw some criticism from Fev supporters about the toilet facilities at Castleford, so maybe you're wrong there.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 minute ago, Griff said:

Not long since I saw some criticism from Fev supporters about the toilet facilities at Castleford, so maybe you're wrong there.

That’s up to them but I wouldn’t mind going to toilet in a shed if rugby on pitch was of a high standard. Rugby today is shockingly poor on the field. 

11 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I’ve always believed in sport is played on the field not behind a desk with numbers, and tbf to myself I said if they can afford it not spending what they haven’t got. 

Sport is a business so the people sitting behind a desk with numbers know what they are talking about. Let Fev blow their money but don't come looking for a bailout when it all goes wrong.

Just now, NW10LDN said:

Sport is a business so the people sitting behind a desk with numbers know what they are talking about. Let Fev blow their money but don't come looking for a bailout when it all goes wrong.

I would rather go down fighting than just exist but that’s just me. 

3 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I would rather go down fighting than just exist but that’s just me. 

What about the people who work for Fev? They would lose their jobs and you don't seem to be taking that into account despite being a fan.