England vs Samoa Series

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Its so bad WHU pack it out every match and MLB also.

The West Ham fans that have complained about it endlessly. As usual comparisons to Football and hyped up one off events like MLB are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

It's probably the worst new stadium that I have been to, it seemed half finished with little amenities. I have no doubt things have improved in the many years since, they had to. Still ###### views and way too far from the pitch, they can't really change that.

Edited by Damien

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

It isn't as simple as that, but I do think the Kangaroos aren't a massively bigger or different draw to the Kiwis.

Plus, by the time any game we're talking about rolls round, it will be a decade further on those earlier matches with no real development or engagement since.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Damien said:

The West Ham fans that have complained about it endlessly. As usual comparisons to Football and hyped up one off events like MLB are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

It's probably the worst new stadium that I have been to, it seemed half finished with little amenities. I have no doubt things have improved in the many years since, they had to. Still ###### views and way too far from the pitch, they can't really change that.

You will not be surprised to learn that it works a lot better when it's used for athletics.

MLB are struggling this year, apparently. The views for that are awful there and there's only so many times you can charge people so much for a ticket when they could fly to NY and watch a game at Yankee Stadium for that.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Damien said:

The NZ one was the first RL match at the Olympic Stadium and many people would have gone for that reason, as is often the case. A lot of people also didn't go back the following year after realising what a ###### stadium it was. Its not as simple as you are trying to make out. 

Yup. IIRC the Aussie game was also shifted to be on a Sunday afternoon which isn't a great move for travelling fans. 

I went to that first one and had no desire to go back the following year. And not just because of the ground (which I didn't like), but because the RFL staged a rubbish event that cost a fortune to travel to and quite simply wasn't worth it. 

Whilst I think there are some merits to the point that the Kiwis are attractive in London, there is little to no evidence to support that claim.  In the same way that we can't just say Samoa are a bigger draw because we got 40k+ against them twice in 2022. There are many variables. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damien said:

The NZ one was the first RL match at the Olympic Stadium and many people would have gone for that reason, as is often the case. A lot of people also didn't go back the following year after realising what a ###### stadium it was. Its not as simple as you are trying to make out. 

Yup. IIRC the Aussie game was also shifted to be on a Sunday afternoon which isn't a great move for travelling fans. 

I went to that first one and had no desire to go back the following year. And not just because of the ground (which I didn't like), but because the RFL staged a rubbish event that cost a fortune to travel to and quite simply wasn't worth it. 

Whilst I think there are some merits to the point that the Kiwis are attractive in London, there is little to no evidence to support that claim.  In the same way that we can't just say Samoa are a bigger draw because we got 40k+ against them twice in 2022. There are many variables. 

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

An absolute pain in the ****  to get to as well. Half an hour on the Overground train from Liverpool St followed by a slow, best part of a mile trudge to the stadium (including a bizarre enforced route through Westfield shopping centre for some reason * ). 

Our seats at the south end had an unrestricted view down the pitch, though. The trouble was, the dead ball line nearest to us was 40-50m away. You needed binoculars to see what was happening at the far end. You were watching the screens half the time because it was the only way you could get a sense of what was happening.

I wanted to go because it looked great for the Olympics, but when you take away the 5 rings and the carnival atmosphere, it's just a big soulless concrete shell.

* Retail. They want you to buy things you don't need

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Damien said:

That's good to hear. I think Residents teams at all age levels have a big role to play in giving players from the PI nations a chance to shine and represent their country. 

True and it's great that these matches are being played in the Pacific Islands and not Australia.

On 03/06/2024 at 10:11, Barley Mow said:

I suspect it will be the same/similar to what we had in Port Moresby last year - Pacific Bowl - Fiji, PNG & Cook Islands and then a Women's competition featuring different teams as well to make up five nations in total over the men and women.

Like last year - Pacific Cup (and associated women's games) taking place in Australia/NZ

On 03/06/2024 at 09:13, Mathius Hellwege said:

five nations is strange, as there are seven nations playing,

minus Samoa in England would mean one is missing out or are there games in AUS/NZ which would make sense....but ist does not fit to two 3N tournaments like last year

typical RL stuff

Whilst I think it will like be a women's game and a three-team men's tournament, the other meaning of "Fiji to host five nations" could be that this means Fiji + five other nations? Which could mean a triple header or few rounds of matches in Fiji of both pools of the Pacific Champs. I admit this sounds unlikely but is the literal meaning of the reporting. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BristolDevonCharlie said:

Whilst I think it will like be a women's game and a three-team men's tournament, the other meaning of "Fiji to host five nations" could be that this means Fiji + five other nations? Which could mean a triple header or few rounds of matches in Fiji of both pools of the Pacific Champs. I admit this sounds unlikely but is the literal meaning of the reporting. 

Yeah, I go with the sneaky reporting here. Surely tri nations men and a Fiji v PNG women.

It’s like when we see reports there are something like 28 teams at a RLWC when in reality there are many less because we shouldn’t really be counting Women’s or Wheelchair…

just kidding…

or am I???

I am…

not…

sure of anything anymore!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

What the NRL want is simple a pacific championship every year with 1 team playing a test series in Europe.

I’d take that at the moment. A 3 test series at the end of the year, every year outside of the WC year. I’d like to see a Tri nations developed between England, Wales and France mid season in the future as Wales and France are developing and this would help them

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

What the NRL want is simple a pacific championship every year with 1 team playing a test series in Europe.

And indeed that is the plan until 2028, as it was in 2023. 

Although not sure who the sixth team will be in 2025 as Australia will be hosting England and Cook Islands will be in the World Series. 

Edited by BristolDevonCharlie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BristolDevonCharlie said:

And indeed that is the plan until 2028, as it was in 2023. 

Although not sure who the sixth team will be in 2025 as Australia will be hosting England and Cooks Islands will be in the World Series. 

Opportunity for Niue, Solomons, Vanuatu, Philippines etc in the pacific bowl. 

• Like 2

That they still haven't announced it must mean it still isn't confirmed, anytime after cup final week is going to get less publicity so you would be an idiot to stall for any other reason.

They left it so late last year I nearly missed a game, it is getting pretty fine timing wise again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Any news? Or perhaps a bit of build up to the upcoming France game? Not even new kit to sell?

Are we seriously expecting any of that?

It’s not as if we are looking for opportunities to build and grow the game. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

Are we seriously expecting any of that?

It’s not as if we are looking for opportunities to build and grow the game. 

I am certainly expecting to see some new England kit/training kit out before we know anything about any potential matches taking place.

• Haha 1

On 30/05/2024 at 12:33, Northern Eel said:

I’m not able to disclose my source, but I’m near certain arrangements are in place and will be announced in the next two weeks. 

Has your source had anymore updates?

2 minutes ago, John bird said:

Great news.

let’s hope there isn’t a raft of forced pullouts.

2 tests a year is a joke especially when the Samoan team is traveling that far

• Like 2

Glad its going ahead although disappointed with just the 2 tests must obviously be some financial reasons. Will they play Tonga before heading out maybe ? Hopefully a bit more ambition on stadium selection will make up for the silly 2 game series format. They did this for the Ladies SOO last year and it was panned and rightly moved to 3 games this year. 

• Like 1