NRL Las Vegas Adventure

Apologies if this has already been posted as a topic. I searched and couldn't see that it has.

Nevertheless. The media are claiming this is heading to a 65,000 'sell out' in taking Manly v South Sydney, and Brisbane v Sydney Roosters. Apparently a great marketing ticket would be for Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe to be involved for Manly and Souths respectively as a rivalry to get behind. Sounds a great idea to me.

With so many false dawns in the US, I feel that if anyone can do this well, its the NRL. With its resources, intense games and Im hopeful - unlike the RFL - they will have a follow up plan that continues to promote the game here.

Best of luck to them, I say! We British can hate on the NRL, not giving us games v England regularly, but, if they really are to sell out at 65000 in the Allianz stadium, hats off to them.

If it goes well, I'd like to see them take a round of Origin over there.

I think clubs and Origin are the right way to go as opposed to internationals as like England did with New Zealand some years back. I imagine the US public would be more inclined to take interest in club or origin than international teams who don't represent the US - patriotic people!

The ambition is to be respected, and smacks the RFL in the face for its detraction and self interest, when Toronto were growing their market so well, with Ottawa about to launch too (but covid and RFL governance put a stop to that).

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/nrl-opener-set-for-65000-sell-out-in-vegas-85521/

What do others think? Excited? The dawn of another waste of time?

Edited by The British Lion

6 minutes ago, The British Lion said:

OK - Does anyone have any in the know knowledge of ticket sales?

Best estimates are 20k.

If they beat the Denver test I'd count it as a win. 

It's not going to be easy to crack the US market, we need to have reasonable expectations.

new rise.jpg

1 minute ago, Pulga said:

Best estimates are 20k.

It's not going to be easy to crack the US market, we need to have reasonable expectations.

Advertising campaign hasn't launched yet - be mid-December, should give it a boost.

Have also heard c20K so 30K+ must be the minimum target, well on course to be the biggest ever crowd for a RL game in North America. 

TV ratings will be more important - that's what will drive interest / gambling revenue. 

3 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Best estimates are 20k.

If they only just beat Denver then that’s a huge loss in my book. The NRL did all they could to stymie Denver but are throwing all their might behind Vegas.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Best estimates are 20k.

They should easily beat Denver considering the obstacles that were put in Denver's way and the amount of money and time the NRL are devoting to this.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

If they only just beat Denver then that’s a huge loss in my book. The NRL did all they could to stymie Denver but are throwing all their might behind Vegas.

This is the first year of a milti-year campaign. 

I don't want to get too hyped up. 

new rise.jpg

2 hours ago, Damien said:

They should easily beat Denver considering the obstacles that were put in Denver's way and the amount of money and time the NRL are devoting to this.

The NRL are spending $40m per year on this. "Better than the Denver fiasco" shouldn't even be the minimum requirement. I am expecting an impressive show if nothing else.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The NRL are spending $40m per year on this. "Better than the Denver fiasco" shouldn't even be the minimum requirement. I am expecting an impressive show if nothing else.

There is not a snowball`s that V`landys will be spending $40m per year of NRL money on this, that is not his styles at all. In fact the figure being quoted in the Sydney Morning Herald was of around $9m per annum for the whole venture, and I expect that that the NRL will only be forking out a fraction of that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

In fact the figure being quoted in the Sydney Morning Herald was of around $9m per annum for the whole venture

That sounds pathetically low if the idea is to break America so I rather hope the spend is significantly higher - whoever's money it is.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, The British Lion said:

Apologies if this has already been posted as a topic. I searched and couldn't see that it has.

What search term did you use? I would have gone with 'Vegas'.

• Haha 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

40 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

It’s never been about breaking America.

Well, I know that.

But if you want to get the attention of the people that V'landys is meant to want to get the attention of then button money doesn't cut it.

2 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I tried Las but ended up on a thread in AOB about a 1980s/90s Liverpool band.

I have just checked if this is true by searching for it.

And I hate myself for that.

• Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

This is rugby league...

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

• 3 weeks later...