IMG Grading System (Many Merged Threads)

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

By giving population only 5% weighting? 

It had more prominence in original licensing (a point for not having another SL club within 20 miles). 

Sorry I wasn't meaning just population.  20% on playing performance (plus another 5% if you are lucky enough to win everything and 75% on non playing.

Here we go again .....

26 minutes ago, DemonUK said:

They are basically trying to meet their requirements of big city clubs by almost completely ignoring PERFORMANCE.  Seems an odd thing to do when trying to 'improve' a sport.

Example of manipulation - A club who currently has say an average finish of 4th place and when the gradings are released find they are comfortably in SL in 2025.  They then release all their players and recruit a team made up of conference league players, who they pay £200 a game.  In 2025 they finish 12th, as a result their average finish drops to 6th, a reduction of say 0.22 (not exact).  the stadium is the same, the big screen the LED boards, press rooms etc all the same.  catchment stays the same, crowds still under 7.5k.  They take their central distrtibution and spend a million plus less on salaries, accountants report is more favourable or they can use what they save to fund the Foundation gaining another half point or whatever it is.

Now while all the above is unlikely to happen, it is entirely possible that nothing could be done about it if it did.  I just feel that the system and this seasons gradings when out will cause quite a bit of uproar.  Toulouse confident, Bradford confident .........how? or why? because not much is made about performance.

These thoughts are my own.

What you are saying is that the grading system hasn't been stress tested.

You are absolutely right to point it out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DemonUK said:

Sorry I wasn't meaning just population.  20% on playing performance (plus another 5% if you are lucky enough to win everything and 75% on non playing.

But they have made no bones about the fact that this is about stronger clubs and not just better teams in SL. That doesn't necessarily equate to city teams as history has shown. 

Just now, Martyn Sadler said:

What you are saying is that the grading system hasn't been stress tested.

You are absolutely right to point it out.

They will absolutely have considered these things and dismissed them as so unlikely to happen that the risk is so low to even worry about it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The point is that these people know that London are already relegated, but have still turned up. They haven't found it to be a farce. 

How do you know they already know?

Some will do, obviously, if they are rusted-on fans, but some of the newcomers may not.

The grading system is unique and it may not have permeated the consciousness of some people.

Don't think that everyone knows as much about it as the people posting on this thread.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

They will absolutely have considered these things and dismissed them as so unlikely to happen that the risk is so low to even worry about it. 

Again, you are making statements that you can't possibly know to be true.

IMG haven't revealed whether and if so how they stress-tested the gradings system.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It had more prominence in original licensing (a point for not having another SL club within 20 miles). 

I think it's very telling that this one small part of the scoring is being pushed front and centre in certain peoples agenda...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

How do you know they already know?

Some will do, obviously, if they are rusted-on fans, but some of the newcomers may not.

The grading system is unique and it may not have permeated the consciousness of some people.

Don't think that everyone knows as much about it as the people posting on this thread.

London are being vocal about this right now, as has the media, as are the fans, who all of a sudden are defensive of poor London. The hardcore will certainly be aware of this - the gradings were announced with a deal of fanfare - maybe some of the casual fans who are going for an afternoon out don't know - but maybe they don't care that much tbh.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Again, you are making statements that you can't possibly know to be true.

IMG haven't revealed whether and if so how they stress-tested the gradings system.

Yet you point out it is absolutely right to point out that it hasn't been stress-tested. Something that you can't possibly know. 

Bit weird that Martyn.

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

I think it's very telling that this one small part of the scoring is being pushed front and centre in certain peoples agenda...

I could be wrong, but I think Salford and Huddersfield benefit from this, but the focus does appear to be on certain clubs.

In reality, most clubs get a 1 here.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The point is that these people know that London are already relegated, but have still turned up. They haven't found it to be a farce. 

Let's bookmark this and return to it next year, when apart from other things they won't be visited by fans of SL clubs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I could be wrong, but I think Salford and Huddersfield benefit from this, but the focus does appear to be on certain clubs.

In reality, most clubs get a 1 here.

In fact, if I'm right in saying that Salford and Hudds benefit from the 0.5pts for population, I'd be using them as a case study for why this is a flawed metric, not Toulouse.

Under the old Licensing system, it was a little simpler in that if you had an SL club within 20m you didn't get the point. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Let's bookmark this and return to it next year, when apart from other things they won't be visited by fans of SL clubs.

I have no doubts that they'll go back to the Championship level crowds that they have always delivered.

54 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The way you will get relegated is if you don't score enough points across the range of criteria. You really do have to look at the whole thing, the whole 20 pts, not just get hung up on 1 element. 

So you would be happy with total transparency?

54 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Good job that isn't done today, West of the Pennines none would be getting points, 5 SL clubs within 20 miles of each other

35 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Exactly so Martyn, on numerous occasions I have  brought up the subject of IMG with many different people most of whom are RL fans especially in my own town, I have had some very incredulous looks when I have informed them that Leigh could be performing in the Championship next year even if they do not finish in last position this.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So you would be happy with total transparency?

You mean the points breakdown? Yep - absolutely. Transparency in the game is poor, was poor with initial licensing, and is poor here.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Good job that isn't done today, West of the Pennines none would be getting points, 5 SL clubs within 20 miles of each other

Am I right in saying that only London and Catalans would get the point under that system?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The hardcore

What is the 'Hardcore'?

Last season, I did my own straw poll at some home games these would have taken place after your 'fanfare' announcements when I simply asked the question 'What do you know about IMG, by far the the most popular and consistent answer I got was 'Who' !

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What is the 'Hardcore'?

Last season, I did my own straw poll at some home games these would have taken place after your 'fanfare' announcements when I simply asked the question 'What do you know about IMG, by far the the most popular and consistent answer I got was 'Who' !

I think that is an odd question to ask and I'm not surprised you got that response.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

So your point being?

I used to work for an old Director who often told me to care less about what people say, and more about what they do. We carry out a lot of market research, but ultimately it's what people do that is important. 

My point being, if it was such a disaster for people, it would have been impossible for London to sell tickets for this year.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yet you point out it is absolutely right to point out that it hasn't been stress-tested. Something that you can't possibly know. 

Bit weird that Martyn.

We know it's not been stress-tested because of some of the faults that have been pointed out on this thread.

If it had been stress-tested, those faults would have been remedied before it was introduced.

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

We know it's not been stress-tested because of some of the faults that have been pointed out on this thread.

If it had been stress-tested, those faults would have been remedied before it was introduced.

Maybe, or maybe those things are not seen as an issue. The fact that tweaks were made to the grading system in advance of the original announcement confirms that testing in some form was carried out.

There are things in the scoring that I'd personally do differently, but I do go back to the point that in reality I think the table is broadly what you'd expect it to be.

• Like 1