Sheffield (A) - 24th May, KO: 19:30

32 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Our old chairman fighting for the lower clubs,who would that be?

Bob McDermott?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, silcoates said:

Our boss once said"we want this club to be one of the top clubs in the champ" . Well div. 1  is certain where we are going at this moment in time.  There is two huge new housing estates surrounding .What are they are doing on sunday.At the burger shop ,may be.  I would give every one of the houses ,two free tickets ,once and see what happens.Has the club sent any flyers out to them.? There used to be people fighting for the cause of the lower clubs  .For instance our old chairman.

I believe that he said that he had an ambition for us to be one of the top community clubs, implying the Championship, or whatever it was called 20+ years ago. Over the years I recall that a lot of work has been put in, including encouraging schools to participate, visits and coaching sessions by players etc. Sadly the only thing that appears to improve participation/attendance seems to be success on the field and the only way this has been achieved is by buying it (see above).

I do hope that we have been attempting to attract people from the new developments but even that is a hard task. If there is no interest in RL in general then how do you persuade people to give up their time to attend?

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I believe that he said that he had an ambition for us to be one of the top community clubs, implying the Championship, or whatever it was called 20+ years ago. Over the years I recall that a lot of work has been put in, including encouraging schools to participate, visits and coaching sessions by players etc. Sadly the only thing that appears to improve participation/attendance seems to be success on the field and the only way this has been achieved is by buying it (see above).

I do hope that we have been attempting to attract people from the new developments but even that is a hard task. If there is no interest in RL in general then how do you persuade people to give up their time to attend?

People come to watch if there's success on the field like you say, if you're getting beat most weeks people don't bother coming unfortunately.

26 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

That’s what I thought. I don’t think he put up much of a fight after we won the Grand Final in 2000.

Am I right in thinking he was going to take the RFL to court after winning the GF and then did a 180?

I was only 3 back then so I don't know a great deal about the story 🙈

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kelsey The Ram 97 said:

People come to watch if there's success on the field like you say, if you're getting beat most weeks people don't bother coming unfortunately.

Am I right in thinking he was going to take the RFL to court after winning the GF and then did a 180?

I was only 3 back then so I don't know a great deal about the story 🙈

McDermott stood on the town hall steps and he said he would do whatever it takes to get us into super league after winning the grand final. All sorts of rumours going round, one was saying he took a backhander. 

1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

McDermott stood on the town hall steps and he said he would do whatever it takes to get us into super league after winning the grand final. All sorts of rumours going round, one was saying he took a backhander. 

Backhander?

The club got compensation from the RFL for being refused promotion. After the payment of all bonus's guaranteed to various people (!!) the club was still hugely in debt. It was this debt that almost led to the demise of DRLFC until someone, who gets roundly vilified in some quarters, stepped in and saved it.

Most of the recipients of those large bonus's subsequently abandoned ship for SS Widnes. Bob McDermott was later disqualified from acting as a company director.

Prior to BMcD we never had a Chairman, only Club Presidents, if my memory is correct.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Mark Sawyer did make a statement many years ago about being one of the best clubs outside SL. But MS has supported this club financially for 20 years now, the club has facilities most Championship clubs would die for. Success on the field is bought. The club lost £150,000 last year and projected to lose the same again this year. So guessing MS has put £millions in over 20 years. 

It might need another £100,000 to buy players to stay up this season. And then what? The same again next season? Another £250,000? 

If you want to market the club, you need some on-field success. Batleys half price offer last season didn't work. 

I'm sure if someone very wealthy came along to put large sums of money into the club, then MS would welcome them. But there isn't. 

Some people say he lacks ambition but what's the ambition? To be a top Championship club would probably take another £250,000 a season? Some would come with bigger crowds but more would come from his pocket. 

SL door is closed to us and most of the Championship now. Even in 2000 we probably had only 1500 fans. 

I don't have the answer to what will happen to the game outside SL, but I won't blame MS for not spending another £100,000 or whatever to buy a few wins which people will have forgotten by next season.

And I had a conversation with Bob McDermott when he was Chairman. Most of what he told me turned out to be untrue. 

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, silcoates said:

Any way what ever the truth about Bob i got a bit of debate going.HA.

Bob McDermott almost drove the club out of existence. It was MS who came in and sorted out the mess. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Mark Sawyer did make a statement many years ago about being one of the best clubs outside SL. But MS has supported this club financially for 20 years now, the club has facilities most Championship clubs would die for. Success on the field is bought. The club lost £150,000 last year and projected to lose the same again this year. So guessing MS has put £millions in over 20 years. 

I was at the meeting when he mentioned that the 'Rugby' side of the club lost £150k last season but he didn't elaborate on whether this took into account the other activities that go on at the stadium.

He also mentioned at the same meeting he'd be open to offers but the offer would have to be substantial.

So it looks like the status quo will remain until one of the numerous Dewsbury millionaire business men or women grasp the opportunity!

Edited by Rambo
  • Like 2
rambo.gif

On 29/05/2024 at 12:30, Wakefield Ram said:

Bob McDermott almost drove the club out of existence. It was MS who came in and sorted out the mess. 

How about this then.Mark wanted a dog track didn't he?Do you remember the protesters? I used to go for a night out at elland road for the racing.Good job the club didn't build a track .That would have been a disaster.  The lorry park idea could have worked may be. 

1 hour ago, silcoates said:

How about this then.Mark wanted a dog track didn't he?Do you remember the protesters? I used to go for a night out at elland road for the racing.Good job the club didn't build a track .That would have been a disaster.  The lorry park idea could have worked may be. 

No, I don't remember that. Do you have any links to articles discussing this?

On 30/05/2024 at 16:52, silcoates said:

Dewsbury reporter ,front page at the time.

Year? Month?

As I said I don't recall it.

On 30/05/2024 at 14:10, silcoates said:

Yes I can remember this.

We had the very aptly named BS Group as shirt sponsors at the time who were the company behind the proposal.

rambo.gif

7 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Yes I can remember this.

We had the very aptly named BS Group as shirt sponsors at the time who were the company behind the proposal.

Def remember the dog track concept.  Was dead in favour at the time as it would have been extra brass and the stadium being used more but on reflection it might have been serendipitous that it never came to fruition.  

44 minutes ago, silcoates said:

That's your problem.

Thanks. Very helpful.

2 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Found this article about the dog track. 2013 but this was after a couple of years of delay.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/leisure-centre-hopes-rise-5094332

As for the lorry park, I remember Bob McDermott telling me the lorry park was sold out for months. I only ever saw an odd truck. 

Thanks. Genuinely helpful.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Thanks. Genuinely helpful.

Now do you believe me? As for the lorry park,of course it would have paid. The ground is just off the m/way.Lorry drivers are always crying out for somewhere to park and facilities.

52 minutes ago, silcoates said:

Now do you believe me? As for the lorry park,of course it would have paid. The ground is just off the m/way.Lorry drivers are always crying out for somewhere to park and facilities.

The lorry park was tried but they didn't get much custom. Bob McDermott said they'd advertised it and were booked up for 6 months. Certainly untrue about the bookings. 

• Like 1