Jump to content

State of origin


Recommended Posts


There's a thread on the Aussie forum for people who want to comment during the game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, wakeyranger said:

Edited. Apologies. Don't want to spoil for people who want to watch it later.

I wouldn't worry about that.  Anyone who wants to watch it later without spoilers shouldn't really click on a 'State of Origin' thread.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coggo said:

Disappointing to hear so many question the send-off. It was as bad as it gets.

We need that stuff out of our game.

People aren't that accustomed to red cards in SOO so will want to excuse it - it was a red all day long

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, John bird said:

I thought this thread was about how people feel about the series.

”STATE OF ORIGIN”

is a behemoth that’s harming international rugby league.

If a 3-game series between two states in one country harms the international game you need to ask how poorly the international game is being run. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pulga said:

If a 3-game series between two states in one country harms the international game you need to ask how poorly the international game is being run. 

You really don't. These two things aren't mutually exclusive either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Spidey said:

People aren't that accustomed to red cards in SOO so will want to excuse it - it was a red all day long

Makes you wonder is there a future for these 6`6" blokes in the game, it`s a long way down to tackle the small blokes like Walsh, especially when things are happening so fast.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Damien said:

You really don't. These two things aren't mutually exclusive either. 

Especially when one of the main international teams has a vested interest in keeping that two state game big but, yes, the international game is poorly run.

Edited by Gomersall
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Pulga said:

If a 3-game series between two states in one country harms the international game you need to ask how poorly the international game is being run. 

 

13 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Especially when one of the main international teams has a vested interest in keeping that two state game big but, yes, the international game is poorly run.

Seeing as the IRL is essentially being run by the NRL now, this is not too surprising that they have dropped any mid-season tests, and don't seem to want to announce any end of year activity until Origin is over. Really poor. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Coggo said:

Disappointing to hear so many question the send-off. It was as bad as it gets.

We need that stuff out of our game.

Yes, 100% a send off, people can die from hits like that. Apperantly he’s only got 4 matches, even as a roosters and NSW fan I think he definitely should have got more, was a shocking tackle.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Makes you wonder is there a future for these 6`6" blokes in the game, it`s a long way down to tackle the small blokes like Walsh, especially when things are happening so fast.

They need to adapt - you can't just be knocking people out

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Pulga said:

If a 3-game series between two states in one country harms the international game you need to ask how poorly the international game is being run. 

It's all about big money. all three games are a sell out.  I don't think England would draw those kind of gates in Aussie. Outside of Aussie the NRL are only interested in Vegas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Damien said:

You really don't. These two things aren't mutually exclusive either. 

How small-time do you have to be to allow one nation to essentially ruin your international game?

If Australia don't want to take it seriously then leave them behind.

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Pulga said:

How small-time do you have to be to allow one nation to essentially ruin your international game?

If Australia don't want to take it seriously then leave them behind.

You know what the reasons are for all of this and and why that can't be done. You are simply too busy trying to blame the IRL for everything when the reality is they've no power and no money. Sure they are pretty useless but they aren't allowed to be anything else either.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Spidey said:

They need to adapt - you can't just be knocking people out

The problem is you can adapt all you like but the size difference means these things are going to continue to happen and players are going to keep getting suspended and at some point you`d have to question are they worth it.

This is all said of course in the light that protecting players heads (brains to be more anatomically precise) is going to continue to be paramount in the game, or put simply, we won`t have a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have read and seen a lot of the reaction to the Suaalii send off over the last 36 hours or so.

It is unsurprising that many of the pundits and fans wanted it to be just 10 in the bin (to be fair, a number agreed it was a red).

The former are desperate for Origin to be different to the NRL, more brutal, and refereed accordingly. 

And I can see why, it was the intensity of the games as well as the state rivalry that made Origin special.

But the very nature of Origin, as the highest profile occasion, means it has to change.  Letting a tackle like that go without the most serious punishment sends a signal to parents about the sport they are sending their sons and daughters to play.

And the bottom line is that it didn't have to be a send off.  A lot of people point out that Walsh lowered hie height (some say, ridiculously, he did it deliberately to gain a penalty).  But Suaalii targeted the upper body/chest (at best) and so any miscalculation had poor consequences.  If he had bent his back more and targeted the waist then a lower ball carrier still means a chest high tackle... a big hit and no penalty. 

The game and players just simply have to adjust.  It can still be tough and intense.

  • Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Damien said:

You know what the reasons are for all of this and and why that can't be done. You are simply too busy trying to blame the IRL for everything when the reality is they've no power and no money. Sure they are pretty useless but they aren't allowed to be anything else either.

That's an oversimplification.

They do things like pay NZ, England and Australia $20k a year but can't spend any money to develop the game where it's needed. 

They can't even do the things within their power correctly. We just had an IRL junket a few weeks ago in Singapore and have had zero news that came out of that meeting.

I get that you are coming from a point of good faith in the IRL but as someone that's had direct dealings for over a decade, you shouldn't.

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pulga said:

That's an oversimplification.

They do things like pay NZ, England and Australia $20k a year but can't spend any money to develop the game where it's needed. 

They can't even do the things within their power correctly. We just had an IRL junket a few weeks ago in Singapore and have had zero news that came out of that meeting.

I get that you are coming from a point of good faith in the IRL but as someone that's had direct dealings for over a decade, you shouldn't.

It's not an oversimplification and you have just massively moved the goalposts. This was about SOO harming the international game. It does, that is beyond question. It has swallowed up and affected everything and we have now even scrapped mid season internationals because of it.

Again it is more than possible to think they are useless and to think they are an organisation with no money or power and that SOO harms the international game. The sums you refer to are chicken feed and fixing every fault the IRL has isnt making much difference as things stand in RL.

I am not coming from a point of good faith at all and I am not just going to defend the IRL. Anyone that has read my posts on them knows that. However let's face it every post you make on this is really about you and your personal grudges with the IRL, as this again shows. Also I really wish you'd stop presuming that you are the only person that has ever tried to develop the game or dealt with the IRL because you certainly aren't.

Edited by Damien
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Pulga said:

How small-time do you have to be to allow one nation to essentially ruin your international game?

If Australia don't want to take it seriously then leave them behind.

Leave them, maybe ….but they wont be behind. They are world leaders in RL and will continue to be with or without an international game.  

Bear in mind the rare losses they have had at the international level have been to countries whose teams are almost or exclusively playing in NRL.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I have read and seen a lot of the reaction to the Suaalii send off over the last 36 hours or so.

It is unsurprising that many of the pundits and fans wanted it to be just 10 in the bin (to be fair, a number agreed it was a red).

The former are desperate for Origin to be different to the NRL, more brutal, and refereed accordingly. 

And I can see why, it was the intensity of the games as well as the state rivalry that made Origin special.

But the very nature of Origin, as the highest profile occasion, means it has to change.  Letting a tackle like that go without the most serious punishment sends a signal to parents about the sport they are sending their sons and daughters to play.

And the bottom line is that it didn't have to be a send off.  A lot of people point out that Walsh lowered hie height (some say, ridiculously, he did it deliberately to gain a penalty).  But Suaalii targeted the upper body/chest (at best) and so any miscalculation had poor consequences.  If he had bent his back more and targeted the waist then a lower ball carrier still means a chest high tackle... a big hit and no penalty. 

The game and players just simply have to adjust.  It can still be tough and intense.

He was not making a serious attempt to tackle…his arms never moved to fold around Walsh’s body and Suaalii’s feet left the ground as part of the hit. It was a violent attack that was intended to stop the threat of Walsh's running game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.