Jump to content

The Vultures are Circling


Recommended Posts

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Yorkshire Live isn’t exactly up to date here.
 

These players have been openly telling people they’ve signed for Fev for over a month. It’s more than a done deal 🤣🤣🤣 As long as Fev don’t go bust beforehand.
 

But I can actually see all three back in Dewsbury on loan next year. Our best players willl still really struggle to hold a spot at Fev (even with this relatively poor Fev team), the gulf is that big in my opinion.

Edited by RugbyPowelly
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a shame but as supporters we need to realise where we are as a club. 

We don’t offer the bigger championship money, we don’t appear to offer contracts for longer than 12 month terms and we don’t appear to make any offers until each season has well and truly finished, leaving us well behind our rivals. This is evidenced by the last off seasons transfer activity (or lack of it).

We will always be behind the black ball until new investment is made into the club.

It’s a shame but that’s where we are.

FWIW I’d be interested to see Bailey O’Connor play at a higher level as he has a lot of potential IMO.

 

  • Like 1
rambo.gif
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Rambo said:

It’s a shame but as supporters we need to realise where we are as a club. 

We don’t offer the bigger championship money, we don’t appear to offer contracts for longer than 12 month terms and we don’t appear to make any offers until each season has well and truly finished, leaving us well behind our rivals. This is evidenced by the last off seasons transfer activity (or lack of it).

We will always be behind the black ball until new investment is made into the club.

It’s a shame but that’s where we are.

FWIW I’d be interested to see Bailey O’Connor play at a higher level as he has a lot of potential IMO.

 

Agree with O’Connor. Amongst good players and good coaches he could really excel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RugbyPowelly said:

Yorkshire Live isn’t exactly up to date here.
 

These players have been openly telling people they’ve signed for Fev for over a month. It’s more than a done deal 🤣🤣🤣 As long as Fev don’t go bust beforehand.
 

But I can actually see all three back in Dewsbury on loan next year. Our best players willl still really struggle to hold a spot at Fev (even with this relatively poor Fev team), the gulf is that big in my opinion.

Why would they drop down to league 1… 

no offence to O’Connor he’s too good to be playing for the rams from what I’ve seen… 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Twas ever thus!

Unfortunately, we need good young players as we don't have the money for established ones. Therefore, any good young talent we spot and nurture will be taken by richer clubs.

Nothing new, it just hurts a little more at the moment.

  • Thanks 1

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have had the same old arguments on the Town forum .When Super League first came in what used to be our Chairman Tom Mitchell made a speech one night and His words will never leave me . He proclaimed "Believe me when i say this player contracts will be the death of Rugby League  , certainly outside the top Clubs " ....It was ok when Clubs in effect owned their players , if they moved The Clubs got a transfer fee . Nowadays as Rambo says short term  contracts only benefit the Player , at the end of every season Teams have to rebuild as players leave , you have no settled core to your Team and and continuity .

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The sad fact is that until we have some financial oomph behind us to invest in the playing squad we're not only going to enter the downward spiral but will be stuck in CC1 for the foreseeable, at best being a yoyo club between the two divisions. 

Perhaps the lack of investment in the squad in previous seasons is the main contributor? Perhaps we're just not as glamourous an opportunity as the likes for Fev, Fax etc. But do we need to be? If we show a little ambition (like our neighbours) and push to maintain a capable squad with what appears to be fairly decent player retention, we could establish ourselves in the Championship, like them? 

Unfortunately money talks and ours is very quiet!

  • Like 1

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ivans82 said:

We have had the same old arguments on the Town forum .When Super League first came in what used to be our Chairman Tom Mitchell made a speech one night and His words will never leave me . He proclaimed "Believe me when i say this player contracts will be the death of Rugby League  , certainly outside the top Clubs " ....It was ok when Clubs in effect owned their players , if they moved The Clubs got a transfer fee . Nowadays as Rambo says short term  contracts only benefit the Player , at the end of every season Teams have to rebuild as players leave , you have no settled core to your Team and and continuity .

The bosman rule killed lower level rugby league 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has a white flag been raised outside the stadium today?

 

7 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Ronan Dixon next one, signed for Halifax Panthers apparently from next season. 

  • Sad 1
rambo.gif
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Ronan Dixon going to Halifax by the sounds of it. Enjoyed watching him play – and all the others who are going.

Will the last player out please turn off the lights.

Tbh we were lucky to keep these players this season, they could have gone elsewhere for more money. Here's an idea why don't we pay our past players and rent then we might be able to spend more on new players 😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The big issue is not knowing which league you are going to be in. Remember Liam Finn talking about having to have two contracts ready for players when we were in the Championship in 2022. One if we stayed up, one if we got relegated. 

No doubt the same this season. Would point out that both Turner and Beckett played for Featherstone before the Rams. 

Featherstone have a track record of taking our better players. They've just got another group of people willing to donate large sums of money to the club to win more matches and presumably get their debt repayments back on track to avoid more winding up petitions. Guess the challenge with Featherstone now is there's no chance of promotion for them. 

The challenge is for all Championship / L1 clubs is what is their purpose. SL is off the table, some teams now relying on DR to field a full team, L1 mostly a semi-amateur competition, so apart from playing at a 95% empty Wembley there is little to play for. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/06/2024 at 23:10, Rambo said:

It’s a shame but as supporters we need to realise where we are as a club. 

We don’t offer the bigger championship money, we don’t appear to offer contracts for longer than 12 month terms and we don’t appear to make any offers until each season has well and truly finished, leaving us well behind our rivals. This is evidenced by the last off seasons transfer activity (or lack of it).

We will always be behind the black ball until new investment is made into the club.

It’s a shame but that’s where we are.

FWIW I’d be interested to see Bailey O’Connor play at a higher level as he has a lot of potential IMO.

 

Just to correct one point. We do offer longer deals to some players but, generally, they turn them down,wanting to keep their options open.

A greater problem, in my opinion, is the quality of players coming into the semi professional ranks and the number of half-decent players available. Take a look at many of the Championship fixtures and count up the more mature players who won't be around for much longer then contemplate where their replacements might come from.

The well is running dry.

  • Like 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/06/2024 at 23:42, RugbyPowelly said:

Agree with O’Connor. Amongst good players and good coaches he could really excel.

Would he want to go up a level, though? 

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/06/2024 at 07:48, Keep The Faith said:

Why would they drop down to league 1… 

no offence to O’Connor he’s too good to be playing for the rams from what I’ve seen… 

True. Batley will need reinforcements next year- I presume this is what you meant? 

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/06/2024 at 17:00, Keep The Faith said:

The bosman rule killed lower level rugby league 

Bring back feudalism!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/06/2024 at 20:15, Rambo said:

Has a white flag been raised outside the stadium today?

 

Just consider: Fev are "poaching" players whilst still owing money to ex players and finance organisations; Fax are offering meaty contracts yet owe more than a years rental on their ground. We are losing players but pay all of our bills.

What a set of mugs we are!

  • Like 4

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have always said that any player is only as good as what they have got around them. As a collective group we are poor but we are bound to be. No half back partnership whatsoever and lacking in overall experience. We have some good individual players but the in-house landscape is pretty difficult for them at the moment. Some will move on and thrive.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Just consider: Fev are "poaching" players whilst still owing money to ex players and finance organisations; Fax are offering meaty contracts yet owe more than a years rental on their ground. We are losing players but pay all of our bills.

What a set of mugs we are!

But it all ends in problems unless you can find more people as Featherstone have done to sort out the debts from the last lot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

But it all ends in problems unless you can find more people as Featherstone have done to sort out the debts from the last lot. 

I am reminded of people coming in on white chargers to save clubs in the past yet failing to fulfil their promises(our friends across the valley can regale us with tales of one such who almost destroyed their club). Let us hope that Fev haven't succumbed to one such. Have their debts now been sorted out btw?

In our case plenty of folk on the sidelines have been complaining about the last bloke who "sorted out the debts from the last lot". Yes, it can all end in problems, but there isn't a single club in RL in the UK that isn't currently running at a loss. Who would come rushing forward to invest in the sport at present?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.