The NRL Round 15 Thread

Some wonder why I do not tip some of the sides I preview in the OP of this thread. Given the way my tips have gone recently I wonder about that too .. ūüė≥ But suffice to say what I aim to do is make the case out for both sides and you go with your own gut feeling. This week is almost coin-flip round as you can make a case for both sides in every game

Cronuilla Sharks v The Dolphins

At Shark Park, Sharkies have provee they do not need the returning Nicho Hynes to win. Yet we have been shown by the Penny Panthers and Paramatta the blueprint to beat the Sharks. As for the Dolphins, well who knows what team will turn up. Certainly with the return of The Hammer, if on song, then yes it's an upset but as I write does even Wayne Bennett know what offering the Dolphins will serve up. - Sharks win battle of the fins

Canberra Raiders v North Queensland Cowboys

Bad result in North Queensland last week against the Warriors and a tough ask taking on Ricky's Raiders in the Capital.The Raiders are a different side with Jordan Rapana in the starting XIII The Cows are back to what looks more like the starting XII but all season long they have been spotting the opposition a big lead in the majority of games and trying to come back from that  - Capital Gain for Canberra

South Sydney v Brisbane Broncos

No Adam Reynolds and no Reece Walsh against a revived Rabbitohs at Accor stadium. Now much as I bag the Wabbits when they have a fuill deck of cards to play with and are properly coached then they are a contender. Albiet this season the run needs to start now. The Bronx look depleted and are on a two game losing streak at home . The baby Bronx are good but looking rudderless at present. Wabbits burrow to victory

West Tigers v Gold Coast Titans

A few weeks agaoi both teams fans would have this game marked as a win. No AJ Brimson or anah Boyd For the Titans who have Keiran Foran steering the side around the park. By contrast, Shane Richardson publicly going out "shopping" for new players and wanting to speak with Lachlan Galvin's mum and dad about his alleged want away comments (How disrespectful is that to a young player) coupled with Benji's outburst following last weeks singing frio the Dragons must have impacted on the Tigers psyche in a negative way. - Tigertown is falling down

New Zealand Warriors v Melbourne Storm - SKY

Match of the round, the resurgent Wahs v the Master Coach. The Wahs on a roll and with Shaun Johnson back and Melbourne weakened with no Reima Smith in addition to Papi and Munster. It pains me to go against a Craig Bellamy coached side but Narrow Win for the Wahs

Paramatta Eels v Sydney Roosters - SKY

A pivotal match for both sides, I fancied that the Eels woiuld follow up beatring Sharkies with a win against a weakened Dogs side but the dogs turned out to have too much bite at the end. If Parra are to make a late push for the eight, as with the Bunnies, this has tob start now. This contrast with a Roosters side where the feathers have been flying over Brandon Smith or maybe Trent Robinson ahs finally worked out that Connor Watson is the better option at hooker - Eels slither home

Manly Sea Eagles v St George-Ilawarra

Big win for SGI at WIN last week, wheras Manly blew a golden opportunity to win at the Panthers. That said this is at 4 pines park and not at the 'gong and unless the foward battle is won by SGI (as they did at Penrith) then I fancy Manly's backline to make it count - Silvertails soar

Newcastle Knights v Penrith Panthers - SKY

Having underwhelmed against the Bulldogs at home, Newcastle went away to Melbourne to play the depleted Storm anmd almost caused a storm by pushing Melbourne close. The Novocastrians also have a reasonably good home record and Bradman Best returns but that's not likely to affect a Penny Panthers side with a restored Dylan Edwards - Knights unhorsed

As always good luck with your tips.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Broncos have lost their last three home games. The one point win v Manly was an away game (though played at Suncorp as part of Magic round).

Without Adam Reynolds they're a mid-table team at best. The flashes of brilliance from Mam, Cobbo or Walsh look great but they're conceding about 22/game and the average winning score against them is about 27 so those flashy plays need to deliver at least 5 tries per game. That's a lot to expect when they come up against good defensive teams. With Reynolds there at least you expect to spend more time down at the money end of the field and those shorter-range tries from Walters, Carrigan, Piakura, can make up the slack if the flash isn't working that night.

We all love watching their backs run hot but here is the reality: they are currently sitting behind the Dogs and Raiders on the ladder and absolutely no-one expects the Dogs or Raiders to reach the GF.

On the plus side, they have a reasonable draw - a bit of everything and they get a second bye during Origin. But some of the ones you might expect to be wins are away games so a bit tougher - Warriors in Auckland, Knights in Newcastle, Cows in Townsville. The Suncorp games include Storm and Panthers so home ground won't be enough on its own.

Sportsbet still has them as second-favourites to win the GF. I think teams like Chooks and Cronulla won't win the GF but they can stop the Broncos from getting there.

Edited by Farmduck

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

Without Adam Reynolds they're a mid-table team at best. The flashes of brilliance from Mam, Cobbo or Walsh look great but they're conceding about 22/game and the average winning score against them is about 27 so those flashy plays need to deliver at least 5 tries per game. That's a lot to expect when they come up against good defensive teams. With Reynolds there at least you expect to spend more time down at the money end of the field and those shorter-range tries from Walters, Carrigan, Piakura, can make up the slack if the flash isn't working that night.

We all love watching their backs run hot but here is the reality: they are currently sitting behind the Dogs and Raiders on the ladder and absolutely no-one expects the Dogs or Raiders to reach the GF.

On the plus side, they have a reasonable draw - a bit of everything and they get a second by during Origin. But some of the ones you might expect to be wins are away games so a bit tougher - Warriors in Auckland, Knights in Newcastle, Cows in Townsville. The Suncorp games include Storm and Panthers so home ground won't be enough on its own.

Sportsbet still has them as second-favourites to win the GF. I think teams like Chooks and Cronulla won't win the GF but they can stop the Broncos from getting there.

I agree….the kicking game is a joke without reynolds and teams get far more scores from good field position than length of the field breaks and they are not getting good field position.

If reynolds returns and is fully fit then they might make the 8 and anything can happen from there. But then in last years final it was Reynolds failure to manage the game in the last 10 minutes that lost the game.

No cigar for Kevvy this year.

THURSDAY

Cronulla Sharks vs. Dolphins

7:50pm @ PointsBet Stadium

Sharks: 1. William Kennedy 2. Sione Katoa 3. Jesse Ramien 4. Kayal Iro 5. Ronaldo Mulitalo 6. Braydon Trindall 7. Nicho Hynes 8. Toby Rudolf 9. Blayke Brailey 10. Oregon Kaufusi 11. Briton Nikora 12. Siosifa Talakai 13. Cameron McInnes

14. Jack Williams 15. Thomas Hazelton 16. Braden Hamlin-Uele 17. Royce Hunt

18. Daniel Atkinson 19. Tuku Hau TapuhaÔĽŅ

Players cut: 20. Mawene Hiroti 21. Jayden Berrell 22. Samuel Stonestree

Late Mail: to come

Dolphins: 1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 2. Jamayne Isaako 3. Jake Averillo 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Jack Bostock 6. Kodi Nikorima 7. Isaiya Katoa 8. Kenny Bromwich 9. Jeremy Marshall-King 10. Felise Kaufusi 11. Connelly Lemuelu 12. Euan Aitken 13. Max Plath

14. Josh Kerr 15. Mark Nicholls 16. Ray Stone 17. Kurt Donoghoe

18. Oryn KeeleyÔĽŅ 22. Trai Fuller

Players cut: 19. Sean O’Sullivan 20. Jarrod Wallace 21. Tesi Niu

Late Mail: Trai Fuller remains in the extended squad at the 24-hour update.

The Dolphins have scored 4 tries in the first 25 minutes and only missed one conversion. The Sharks look more like flounders.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The Dolphins have scored 4 tries in the first 25 minutes and only missed one conversion. The Sharks look more like flounders.

Pretty much as soon as I posted that, Cronulla woke up!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

From trailing by 22 points, the score is now CRO 18:22 DOL.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sharks take it to 28:30 with a try in the dying second, but Hynes can't convert and force Golden Point. 

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Katoa scores in the final minute but Hynes can't convert from the sideline. After Isaako kicked an earlier penalty goal.

FT:  Dolphins  30  Cronulla  28

That try from the Hammer . The game was sliding away from the Dolphins but that changed everything again . It really was one of the  great tries

16 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That try from the Hammer . The game was sliding away from the Dolphins but that changed everything again . It really was one of the  great tries

An amazing run.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Raiders will aim to continue their charge towards the top four when they play host to the North Queensland Cowboys at GIO Stadium.

Canberra welcome back Hudson Young after the back rower missed the Raiders’ heart-stopping last start win over the Dolphins due to Origin duties. Simi Sasagi makes way for Young.

The Cowboys had four Origin stars back up last weekend against the Warriors, and it was a very flat performance in a 42-12 loss at home.

Hooker Reece Robson and winger Murray Taulagi were the two Origin players who didn’t back up against the Warriors after playing in Game I, but they return to the line up tonight.

Due to having three byes in hand, North Queensland sits in 12th on the ladder, but they have the same number of wins (seven) as the sixth-placed Raiders.

8min: Kyle Feldt the benificiary of some sloppy clean-up work at the back by the Green Machine

Holmes goal

Cows 6 - 0

14min: bad defensive read by Weekes leaves a huge gap for Helium Luki to run through and score

Valentine goal from in front

Cows 12 - 0

The Raiders look sloppy and disorganised.

CAN 0:18 NQL

Ralph Waldo Emerson