Where's the Board.

3 hours ago, Gus Tyson said:

there was a post on Facebook a couple of days back after new board members, get your application in.

I've done my time on the board, but due to my shift pattern I just dont have the time, but thanks for the suggestion. 

Maybe you would like to have a go? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The question is, why would anyone want to stay on the board in that toxic atmosphere? They are not Directors, they are enablers. Perhaps the latest two to resign have finally had their eyes opened to all the shenanigans.

As per the clubs articles the minute the Board drops below 4 an EGM must immediately be called, not advertised on Facebook. The Chairman is in breach of his own Articles as it stands, Article 29.

If he fails to call a EGM he should then be requested to vacate his post under Article 45,h. “The office of a Director shall be vacated forthwith if he materially breaches any Article or regulation of the Company” he will have done this by not calling a EGM under Artical 29.
When the number of Directors fell below four.

There are also 2 associate Directors, a term that is made up and does not exist under the Articles.

Trouble is who is on the wings to replace him? And should you find someone willing, once they see the true financial situation of the club, they will run a mile.
Edited by Snaggletooth
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

The question is, why would anyone want to stay on the board in that toxic atmosphere? They are not Directors, they are enablers. Perhaps the latest two to resign have finally had their eyes opened to all the shenanigans.

As per the clubs articles the minute the Board drops below 4 an EGM must immediately be called, not advertised on Facebook. The Chairman is in breach of his own Articles as it stands, Article 29.

If he fails to call a EGM he should then be requested to vacate his post under Article 45,h. “The office of a Director shall be vacated forthwith if he materially breaches any Article or regulation of the Company” he will have done this by not calling a EGM under Artical 29.

There are also 2 associate Directors, a term that is made up and does not exist under the Articles.

Trouble is who is on the wings to replace him? And should you find someone willing, once they see the true financial situation of the club, they will run a mile.

Oh dear, sounds ominous. I got the feeling the financial situation was worsening when Steve said in his last Radio comments that he was hoping ie: pleading, for a 'Millionaire' to 'Invest' in the Club. Pouring money into a Soccer or Rugby Club is rarely a profitable Investment, rather a tax write-off. And being appointed a Director usually means pumping in money, hence very short tenures and few new takers. It would seem the additional income from the Marquee, Sponsorships, Ground Events, etc. has not been sufficient to cover the loss of other income streams, Goldrush lottery, etc. Steve appears to be single-handedly keeping the ship afloat and it doesn't bode well if he can't or won't continue to do this stressful, time-consuming job. His frequent appeals to BAE to help apparently haven't materialized as yet. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 2Cents said:

c. Steve appears to be single-handedly keeping the ship afloat

Trouble is 95% of the issues that surface have been created by the Chairman himself. He is putting out fires that he himself lit.

32 minutes ago, 2Cents said:

It would seem the additional income from the Marquee, Sponsorships, Ground Events, etc. has not been sufficient to cover the loss of other income

The income from these has at best been grossly mismanaged and abused, at worst.... well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

How do you know what the true financial position is ? Care to enlighten us further ? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Left Winger said:

How do you know what the true financial position is ? Care to enlighten us further ? 

That's up to the Chairman to do at the EGM he should be calling, or the next AGM, just ask for a genuine copy of the clubs accounts and not the abridged version. It's all there, just not clearly presented.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

That's up to the Chairman to do at the EGM he should be calling, or the next AGM, just ask for a genuine copy of the clubs accounts and not the abridged version. It's all there, just not clearly presented.

I assume as you seem to know plenty that you will be doing just that ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

You are spot on with the Toxic atmosphere and it isn't the directors but those supporting them. The chairman has failed to deal with the situation and that has resulted in several people leaving. It's also sad if the club is in breach of the rules and this needs addressing asap. 

• Like 1

I have known one of the 2 female Directors (who both resigned on the same day June 30) on a personal basis for several decades. Without going into further details, this upstanding lady would not accept a Directors position, then throw in the towel so quickly, without a very good reason. 'Something smells rotten in Denmark'.

• Like 2

The bad atmosphere within the club isn't created by the chairman,it's all the various factions,cliques with the club that cause all the sh#t ,all fueding with eachother,scoring points against eachother,slagging eachother off ,to which the chairman has to referee and try to solve ,it's pathetic like a bunch of little kids ,all say they love the club and they probably do but can't pull together and work together for the clubs greater good ,should be one club,one family,not the marquee staff vs ground staff vs corporate vs volunteers vs supporter's trust vs certain small groups of fans just hell bent on stirring ,rant over 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ghost of uncle fester said:

The bad atmosphere within the club isn't created by the chairman,it's all the various factions,cliques with the club that cause all the sh#t ,all fueding with eachother,scoring points against eachother,slagging eachother off ,to which the chairman has to referee and try to solve ,it's pathetic like a bunch of little kids ,all say they love the club and they probably do but can't pull together and work together for the clubs greater good ,should be one club,one family,not the marquee staff vs ground staff vs corporate vs volunteers vs supporter's trust vs certain small groups of fans just hell bent on stirring ,rant over 

You are right to a degree. But remember most of these factions have been put in place BY the Chairman. It is his decisions and then inability to control these people that has allowed the atmosphere to fester.... Add into it his abysmal record at keeping hold of Directors, something is rotten somewhere, and it starts at the top.

Sounds like you know stuff Snaggletooth. Is there a take over bid  led by yourself to solve all these issues you have raised ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tec said:

Sounds like you know stuff Snaggletooth. Is there a take over bid  led by yourself to solve all these issues you have raised ? 

No. And with the state of things as they are now, I'm not entirely sure who would invest, time nor money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snaggletooth said:

No. And with the state of things as they are now, I'm not entirely sure who would invest, time nor money.

I am suprised. The old adage put up or shut up springs to mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tec said:

I am suprised. The old adage put up or shut up springs to mind.

Feel free to invest.... but the old adage ' a fool and his money are quickly parted' works well here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

How bad are things? Tell us now if you know, before it get's too late or too big to resolve.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 2Cents said:

How bad are things? Tell us now if you know, before it get's too late or too big to 

This is from companies house. Total liabilities equal £863054 this is money owed. Within 12 months £334,975 is due.

'Luckily', and I'm sure completely unrelated, the ground was revalued recently from £742121 to £1861110 otherwise the club would have gone under.

There is no note as to who the creditors  are as this has been conveniently missed off the abridged accounts. No note saying who is owed the £334,975.

And these problems are just the accounts. The Chairman I believe is juggling many others that may come home to roost. Issues of his own making.

I would also state, the only realistic way to clear these creditors without major sponsorship/investment would be to sell the ground. Then you need to look at who would gain from that sale, and which debenture holders would benefit.

1720200812344.jpg

Edited by Snaggletooth
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

This is from companies house. Total liabilities equal £863054 this is money owed. Within 12 months £334,975 is due.

'Luckily', and I'm sure completely unrelated, the ground was revalued recently from £742121 to £1861110 otherwise the club would have gone under.

There is no note as to who the creditors  are as this has been conveniently missed off the abridged accounts. No note saying who is owed the £334,975.

And these problems are just the accounts. The Chairman I believe is juggling many others that may come home to roost. Issues of his own making.

I would also state, the only realistic way to clear these creditors without major sponsorship/investment would be to sell the ground. Then you need to look at who would gain from that sale, and which debenture holders would benefit.

1720200812344.jpg

These accounts are 18 months old, 2 seasons ago, way too old to assess the current situation.

Since then, 8 (eight) Directors have resigned, including 2 last week, leaving just 1 fairly recent appointment, plus Steve.

That is concerning.

You said, "with the state of things as they are now, I'm not entirely sure who would invest, time nor money".

So what is the financial situation now - you claim to know.

Tec said, "The old adage put up or shut up springs to mind".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2Cents said:

These accounts are 18 months old, 2 seasons ago, way too old to assess the current situation.

Since then, 8 (eight) Directors have resigned, including 2 last week, leaving just 1 fairly recent appointment, plus Steve.

That is concerning.

You said, "with the state of things as they are now, I'm not entirely sure who would invest, time nor money".

So what is the financial situation now - you claim to know.

Tec said, "The old adage put up or shut up springs to mind".

Those are the latest accounts posted in Companies house, next will be in August (if sent on time and not late like these were) The accounts above were sent in August 2023 with added liabilities going forward into 2024! And that is £334k to be paid back in one year! Take a look for yourself. It isn't difficult. Situation now is worse.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2024 at 10:03, Paul Ballantyne said:

Why do we keep losing board members?

I see we are down to 2 members, shouldn't there be a EGM?

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00246668/officers

I have no idea why board members are leaving but it obviously puts more work onto the remaining board.

Calling an EGM may be in the “rules” but what good would it do? The club/board have been appealing for more board members/investment across their social media for months without many takers unfortunately.You would think this would outweigh a few people gathering together in the marquee?

It is obviously a tough gig which is probably why there is a massive turnover of board members.

I have no idea of the financials and mistakes will have been made because we are all human,on the other hand  Barrow have become a blueprint for other struggling clubs to follow with their proactive community work,Furness Raiders pathway,Ladies team going from strength to strength and trying to engage the community with various different events at CP.

You have obviously seen first hand how much time and effort goes into it because you have done it Paul.

What irks me is the people slating the board across social media/keyboard forum ,notably this Snaggletooth character who sounds like he has a bit of beef?

People are of course entitled to their opinions but slagging the club from the outside and not doing anything about it achieves nothing.

We all want the Raiders to be as good as they can be so support any way that you can,simple really.

I hope you made it to the end

Think I need to go for a lie down😁

Up the Raiders!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5