It has been said so many times recently, but what a truly amazing week of Rugby League it has been.
The Challenge Cup has provided us with so many memories this year, and the semi-finals continued that trend with an abundance of fantastic tries and another underdog triumph.
We have to wait four weeks for this year’s showpiece event, but in the meantime we have so much more to get the pulses racing. The beginning of the inaugural ‘Super 8s’ takes place this week, and we’ve been working harder than ever before to provide you with a top quality read ahead of this weekend’s action.
We have plenty of fascinating stories to share with you, and here are just seven to get you excited.
- Incredibly, we still have transfer stories coming through to us, over a week after the deadline passed. Simon Grix became the latest Wakefield Trinity Wildcats signing as he completed a loan move just ahead of the deadline, and we’ve got all the details on page three.
- There has been plenty of talk about the sport’s television coverage over recent months, especially the controversial plans to show one of the semi-finals on a Friday night. However, the figures show that the BBC did a tremendous job, and our editor Martyn Sadler has profiled this in this week’s ‘Talking Rugby League’.
- We’re at that time of the year when the contenders for Man of Steel are thrown into the hat. Kallum Watkins has surprisingly gone under the radar after a terrific season, but not any more. Jamie Peacock has backed his team-mate to win the crown, and who is going to argue with him? Peacock explains his reasons on page seven.
- Could Zeb Taia be on his way out of Super League? The forward still has two years on his contract at Catalans, but it hasn’t stopped him from talking to League Express about a potential move back to Australia.
- We’ve seen some quite spectacular games this week. Not just in the Challenge Cup, but in Kingstone Press League 1 too. We have the best, most dedicated coverage of all the games across the country, including the victory that sent Leeds Rhinos back to Wembley once again.
- If you missed your league action this week, League Express will most certainly fill the void. We have dedicated numerous pages to this weekend’s action, including a two-page news spread covering all the teams in the Qualifiers.
- And of course, who could forget the Mailbag? We had stacks of letters to get through this week, meaning we have several topics that will undoubtedly instigate debate. Topics are typically wide ranging this week, with some readers lamenting the decline of Rugby League in Scotland, and other topics including video referees, scrums television coverage being just the tip of the iceberg.
League Express is in stores now! Buy your copy for the best coverage of Rugby League available.