Waterman: ''It is a massive learning curve''

Dons News

<p>Lee Waterman spoke to the official website after Sunday’s defeat to Leeds Rhinos in pre-season.</p>

<p>The Dons ended pre-season with a 42-14 loss to the Challenge Cup holders ahead of the Kingstone Press Championship opener against London Broncos on February 15<sup>th</sup>.</p>

<p>Despite the result, Waterman believes the side’s performance against the Rhinos was enhanced from their defeat against Hunslet Hawks.</p>

<p>He said: “I think it was better than we have been previously, I think we improved massively from last week.</p>

<p>“I’m not making any excuses but it is hard against a team like Leeds and I think it showed in the last 20 minutes.</p>

<p>“What lost us the game today was the first 15 minutes coming out in the second half and once they have a 20 point lead, there is no coming back against a good team like that.</p>

<p>“Although it was mainly under 19’s and they are young kids, they have the mentality of playing first grade and they are in training full time.</p>

<p>“It is a massive learning curve, as the games go on you learn things like wrestling in the tackle, it does help you as a player.</p>

<p>“They grind the game out and when they need to switch on they do and when they do, they blow teams away.</p>

<p>“I think we have people on the pitch that can do that like Cookey, Richard Wilkinson and Danny Nicklas when he is fit, it is people like that who can get you to the places you need to be at and play some good rugby.</p>

<p>“I’m just enjoying playing, in the four friendlies I’ve played in every position apart from winger, half back and prop, but I just enjoy it, wherever I get put I’ll do a job.”</p>

<p>To view all the action in photos from Sunday <a href="http://www.doncasterrugbyleague.co.uk/photo_gallery/228-donsvleedsrhinos"target="_self"><span style="text-decoration: underline;"><strong>click here</strong></span></a>.</p>

View the full article

Archived