REACTION: Win Lays Down Marker Says Welham

Dons News

Dons winger Matty Welham spoke to the official website following Sunday’s win over Keighley Cougars. 

The Dons scored eight tries at Cougar Park to record their first victory at Keighley since 2004.

Welham scored a brace in the match and believes the Dons can take real confidence from the win.

“It was good to get the victory, we needed to set the marker in the league and show everybody what we are about,” Welham said.

“Before the season everyone was talking about Keighley and nobody was talking about us, but we will be up there and I think we can go and get promoted.

“The lads are all buzzing, there is a really good atmosphere in the dressing room and hopefully we can take that into Friday in the Challenge Cup.”

Welham, who joined the club over the close season, linking up with older brother Liam, admitted he is enjoying his time with the Dons, but is taking nothing for granted with regards to his place in the side.

He added: “There is a lot of competition in both the backs and forwards, everyone knows they have to work hard and be disciplined in training to do enough to get in the team.

“I managed to get two tries against Keighley and hopefully it is enough to get me into the squad again against Hunslet on Friday.

“However there are a lot of good players who would have to miss out such as Aaron Jones-Bishop and David Foggin-Johnston, we have a really good squad with players who can rotate in and out of the team.

“The most important thing though is that everyone works for each other and we are doing that right now and confidence is really high amongst the team.

You can see Welham back in action at the Keepmoat Stadium on Good Friday against York City Knights.  For tickets click here!

View the full article

Archived