26 replies to this topic

#21 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Sep 1 2010, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good to see you supporting your fellow lancastrians!!! biggrin.gif

Obviously beating Saints is something Wire need to get off their backs, for mental reasons. But how many clubs/people in sport have bogey teams? Wire can still win trophies and not face Saints it don't matter at the end of the day in the history books it will be remembered that in 2009 Wire won a trophy Saints didn't and possibly in 2010!!!

Smith may have failed badly with England but as have Noble, Waite and every other coach in the last decade or so. But his domestic record is what I would judge him on, he has done fantastic with every club he has been at in SL and has that 'special' knack of turning teams that have been underachievers around. Thats what an NRL club will be looking at, for god's sake if McRae can get a job in the NRL then Smith should stroll in when his contract ends in 2013.

I thought you were from Cheshire, but yes, I had to. I do think Wire have the potential to break the old 'top three/four' apart and I hope they do.

As for the NRL, I know McRae got a job there, but how long did he last? He got blown out fast! He's probably wrecked all other SL coaches' chances for evermore! Who has gone back to the NRL? Smith? Elliott? And ...? I'm just saying that NRL clubs are probably not lining up for his signature. Perhaps they should be, but I don't think they are.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#22 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Sep 1 2010, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I'm a touch surprised that anybody posted any serious answers on this dire thread, but I do have to pull you on this one.

Prior to this year, we were getting similar comments due to the fact that we didn't meet Leeds or Saints, and now we did meet the champion team and beat them comprehensively, we still get similar comments. It's not our fault that Saints get knocked out by other teams (who we then go on to beat). People only bring Saints up because of this hoodoo they have over us, not because they are the best team in the country.

We recently beat the best team in the country at their place, and have just beaten the champions at Wembley, not too much more we can do.

As for the OP, it's ######, certainly from the media side. I was surprised how much favourable press Wire were getting in the build up, with major features on the Myler decision, Lee Briers and Adrian Morley etc. At times a neutral probably couldn't work out who we were playing!

As for some fans not giving credit, well unfortunately, that is black and white, it's your fault on here.

Fair point, but I just thought Wendall needed to have his enthusiasm checked. wink.gif

You're right. You can only beat what is in front of you. And you did. I'm really pleased to see Warrington genuinely challenging for honours (and getting them!). Well done.

As for Wendall, well his enthusiasm is great and I commend him on that. However, I shan't be getting out my prayer mat and bowing down in the direction of 'Wezza' or 'Wazza' or even Warrington in the near future. Well done, but calm down.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#23 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:15 PM

In what way was The Telegraph Match Report 'Negative'?

http://www.telegraph...tch-report.html
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#24 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,727 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (HappyDave @ Aug 31 2010, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In what way was The Telegraph Match Report 'Negative'?

http://www.telegraph...tch-report.html

Think this quote from the above article sums it up perfectly:

The new Wembley may still be waiting for its first classic Challenge Cup final but, as an example of ruthless forward power, brilliantly orchestrated by a half-back at the peak of his form, this will take some beating.

#25 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 31 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now before you all start this is not a dig at anyone on here but the RL media in general.

Having watched the replay of the final and read various articles in the press I feel that there is not enough praise for what Wire have achieved in beating Leeds in the final and doing a double of challenege cup wins.

To come from near the foot of SL when Smith took over from Lowes at Wire in 2009 is a remarkable achievement to be winning back to back at Wembley and sitting joint 2nd in SL.

I just feel that there is an anti Wire bias in the RL media, only Eddie Hemmings in general seems to big us up, the likes of Clarke, Stevo and Woods (on BBC) seem to think Leeds blew it more than Wire won it! If it was Saints or Wigan that had won two Wembley's on the trot people would be shouting for them to be BBC team of the year!!

And Tony Smith, this guy has done a remarkable job and should be coach of the year over McGuire. I am so glad he's at Wire till 2013. But after that I expect an NRL club to pick him up, he deserves the biggest jobs and a chance to prove his worth.

Wendall mate, Wire are a super side right now, there's class all over the field and they are superbly coached.

Can I ask why you just don't enjoy the fact?

It's a great feeling knowing your side is capable ( I say 'capable' because it doesn't always work out cool.gif ) of beating anyone on their day, and you, as a fan, have the right to swagger around the grounds with the biggest smirk in the world on your face. However, a word of warning; right now you possibly think it will last forever, but I can tell you now - it won't. Take my advice, stop looking for the negatives, and just enjoy the now.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#26 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (Bulliac @ Sep 1 2010, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wendall mate, Wire are a super side right now, there's class all over the field and they are superbly coached.

Can I ask why you just don't enjoy the fact?

It's a great feeling knowing your side is capable ( I say 'capable' because it doesn't always work out cool.gif ) of beating anyone on their day, and you, as a fan, have the right to swagger around the grounds with the biggest smirk in the world on your face. However, a word of warning; right now you possibly think it will last forever, but I can tell you now - it won't. Take my advice, stop looking for the negatives, and just enjoy the now.

Well said. cool.gif Enjoy the moment while it lasts. And no doubt Wendall, Wire will get their load of hate and put downs, just like you dish it out to others.

#27 Herbert Splatt

Herbert Splatt
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

Tony Smith certainly knows how to get the best out of players with financial support behind him. At Leeds and Wire he has done good work in getting already decent players playing better week in week out. At GB it is different because the players aren't with him all year round and have very little time with the coach compared to a club coach. At Huddersfield where support wasn't behind Smith as much as at his later jobs, he struggled - or rather the club struggled - but then you could argue that he was just getting started as a manager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users