Jump to content

Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express


- - - - -

The BBC think we did OK

  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Eagletarian

  • Coach
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:08 PM


Championship play-offs round-up

Sheffield Eagles caused another Championship play-offs upset as they sensationally came from 14-8 down with 10 minutes left to win 21-14 at Barrow.

Barrow looked on course for the semi with tries either side of the break from James Coyle and Martin Ostler.

But Sheffield, who had crossed earlier through Brendon Lindsay, scored again through Alex Rowe to tie it at 14-14.

Then hooker Craig Cook's try put them ahead, before Simon Brown added to his four kicks with a clinching drop goal.

Fourth-placed had destroyed Widnes 38-0 on Sunday to get to this stage. But sixth-placed Sheffield , who had won 26-24 to shock third-placed Leigh, did it again to book a major semi-final trip to Halifax next Thursday night.

Championship table toppers Featherstone Rovers forced Halifax to play again after booking their place in the Grand Final on 26 September with Thursday night's 46-16 win at Post Office Road.

Sean Penkywicz gave the home side a scare with a seventh minute try.

But Rovers replied with five tries from Stuart Dickens, Liam Welham, Tommy Saxton, Dane Manning and hat-trick hero Kyle Briggs for a 28-16 half-time lead.

Shad Royston and Rob Worrincy crossed for Fax, but Rovers went on to add three more tries after the break.

It was a burst of three tries in six first-half minutes in response to that early try, from second row Dickens, centre Welham and winger Saxton, which buried the visitors.

And the Halifax line went unbreached for half an hour between Briggs' first try on 37 minutes and the next from Liam Finn against his old club.

But Briggs took over the show in the final quarter.

The Rovers stand-off added two late tries to complete his treble, adding seven out of eight attempts at goal for a 26-point individual haul.

But Halifax still get another chance to qualify for the season's finale at the Halliwell Jones on 26 September - and have home advantage for Thursday's major semi-final against Sheffield.
Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users