Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Different era,different game.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bring back the wall

Bring back the wall
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

My abiding memory as a kid is watching Paul Charlton gather the ball under his own sticks and returning it 40 yards,if he didn`t make halfway it was a major suprise.I know he was super fit,but now with the fullbacks being used more as an attacking option in the line, and oposition turning them round,by the time they collect the ball they are lucky to get out of the 10yds.Can remember the phrase `kick and chase `coming in late 80`s early 90`s with the influx of Australian coaches to our shores,and as they say your kick is only as good as the chase.Doubt we will ever see the likes of Charlo again.

#2 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

We haven't done to bad in recent years with Mark Mulligan and Lusi Sione providing some great moments

The offside chase giving full backs only ten metres to work in put and end to full backs returning kicks like Charlton used to
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users