Dons News

Coach
  • Content Count

    2,007
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

25 Excellent

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male

Recent Profile Visitors

16,752 profile views
  1. Dons News

    REPORT | Dons 6 London Broncos 64

    The Dons were beaten 64-6 by Super League side London Broncos in their final pre-season game of 2019. The Broncos started the quicker of the two sides and took the lead after three minutes, as back-rower Jay Pitts got on the end of a flat pass to crash over. Jordan Abdull added the two. They scored again seven minutes later, as former St. Helens man Ryan Morgan did well to twist over the line under pressure from the Dons defence. London’s third try came when Elliott Kear showed good pace down the left to ease his way over, before Kieran Dixon raced free and found James Cunningham on the inside to extend the lead. There was still time for one more try before half-time, as Sadiq Adebiyi powered his way through the line to score. Danny Ward’s side continued where they left off after the break as the ball bounced into the path of Kieran Dixon who touched down. Dixon took over the kicking duties and added the extras. The Dons got themselves on the board as the game approached the hour-mark, after Matty Chrimes broke down the right and supplied the pass for Charlie Graham to go over. London then took the game away from the Dons with four tries in the space of 10 second-half minutes, as Eddie Battye, Will Lovell, Mark Ioane and Eloi Pelissier all crossed. They added more gloss to the score-line late on as Dixon grabbed his second, skating inside before weaving his way to the try-line. View the full article
  2. Richard Horne wants his side to finish their pre-season campaign with a positive performance against London Broncos this weekend. The Dons go into the game looking for their first win of 2019, and Horne says he has been happy with certain periods of their previous two games. He said: “We want to see some progression from the players, we’ve spoken a lot about what we’ve done well and not so well. “Our rucks have needed improving and that’s what has cost us the most, we need to be able to be quick and commit defenders. “It’s their only pre-season friendly so they will bring a strong squad and look to get some combinations together.” Horne believes a three week gap between games after Sunday’s fixture will help his squad prepare fully for the Betfred League One campaign. He added: “There are still spots up for grab for that first game of the season, and the gap after the London game will allow me to have a proper look at things. “We can fix a lot of things up during that period and get a lot of work into the boys that need it. “Having a break helps and confidence wise the teams we’ve played haven’t helped, but there have been spells that I have been happy with.” View the full article
  3. Richard Horne wants his side to finish their pre-season campaign with a positive performance against London Broncos this weekend. The Dons go into the game looking for their first win of 2019, and Horne says he has been happy with certain periods of their previous two games. He said: “We want to see some progression from the players, we’ve spoken a lot about what we’ve done well and not so well. “Our rucks have needed improving and that’s what has cost us the most, we need to be able to be quick and commit defenders. “It’s their only pre-season friendly so they will bring a strong squad and look to get some combinations together.” Horne believes a three week gap between games after Sunday’s fixture will help his squad prepare fully for the Betfred League One campaign. He added: “There are still spots up for grab for that first game of the season, and the gap after the London game will allow me to have a proper look at things. “We can fix a lot of things up during that period and get a lot of work into the boys that need it. “Having a break helps and confidence wise the teams we’ve played haven’t helped, but there have been spells that I have been happy with.” View the full article
  4. Richard Horne has named a 20 man squad for this weekend's pre-season friendly against London Broncos at the Keepmoat Stadium. See the full squad below: Matty Beharrell, Ryan Boyle, Kieran Buchanan (D/R), Matty Chrimes (T), Ryan Dixon, Sam Doherty, Brandon Douglas, Brad Foster, Charlie Graham (D/R), Pete Green, Jordan Howden, Kyle Kesik, Richard Owen, Charlie Patterson-Lund (D/R), Jack Sanderson (D/R), Connor Scott, Nathan Slater (T), Russ Spiers, Liam Welham, Connor Wynne (D/R). View the full article
  5. Richard Horne says the signing of Ryan Dixon is a reward for the player’s hard work throughout pre-season. Dixon has agreed a deal for the 2019 campaign after spending time with amateur side Toll Bar, and Horne has been impressed with the forward. He said: “He’s a player we brought in on trial and he’s taken the opportunity, he carries the ball well and hits hard. “He wants to put that hard work in and the deal is a reward for him, his hard work and determination to stay at it has paid off.” View the full article
  6. Richard Horne says the signing of Ryan Dixon is a reward for the player’s hard work throughout pre-season. Dixon has agreed a deal for the 2019 campaign after spending time with amateur side Toll Bar, and Horne has been impressed with the forward. He said: “He’s a player we brought own trial and he’s taken the opportunity, he carries the ball well and hits hard. “He wants to put that hard work in and the deal is a reward for him, his hard work and determination to stay at it has paid off.” View the full article
  7. Dons News

    NEWS | Dons sign Ryan Dixon

    The Dons have signed forward Ryan Dixon on a deal for the 2019 campaign. Dixon has been on trial with the club from amateur side Toll Bar, and has impressed head coach Richard Horne in the friendly games so far. Dixon said: “I’m very pleased, I’m really thankful for the opportunity the club are giving me to show what I can do this season. “The training and gym work isn’t something I’m used to so it’s been really good, the boys have all welcomed me into the group. “Rich wants me to play how I’ve been playing in the friendly games, I’m already noticing more improvements every week.” You can see Ryan in action against London Broncos this weekend, tickets are available from tickets.clubdoncaster.co.uk. View the full article
  8. Dons News

    NEWS | Dons sign Ryan Dixon

    The Dons have signed forward Ryan Dixon on a deal for the 2019 campaign. Dixon has been on trial with the club from amateur side Toll Bar, and has impressed head coach Richard Horne in the friendly games so far. Dixon said: “I’m very pleased, I’m really thankful for the opportunity the club are giving me to show what I can do this season. “The training and gym work isn’t something I’m used to so it’s been really good, the boys have all welcomed me into the group. “Rich wants me to play how I’ve been playing in the friendly games, I’m already noticing more improvements every week.” You can see Ryan in action against London Broncos this weekend, tickets are available from tickets.clubdoncaster.co.uk. View the full article
  9. Kyle Kesik says he enjoyed every moment of his testimonial game against Leeds Rhinos. Five guests took to the field during the game, and Kesik was thankful for the efforts made by everyone involved. He said: “It was an amazing day, it’s hard to put into words but Leeds have looked after me giving me a signed shirt and a bottle of champagne which is great. “The Dons fans were brilliant all game, the memories we have they have been there through everything. “If I’ve missed out on thanking everyone then I apologise, all the attention is unusual and I feel like a bit of a celebrity!” Despite the Dons being beaten in their second pre-season fixture of 2019, Kesik was keen to take the positives from it. He added: “We did well in parts of the game, we were down on numbers again but Leeds are a class outfit with some really good young talent in their side. “We’re getting some good minutes which helps as the year goes on, I’ll be ready to go when the league season comes around. “Once we get bodies back and some more people in we’ll look a lot stronger, we’re asking a few boys to do minutes that they wouldn’t normally do.” View the full article
  10. Dons News

    REACTION | Horne praises Dons start

    Richard Horne felt his side started the game well despite losing to Leeds Rhinos at the Keepmoat Stadium. The Rhinos ran out eventual 60-0 winners in the second pre-season game of 2019, and Horne says his players gave everything. He said: “I thought we started the game really well, we spoke about that because we knew how tough it would be to compete for the full 80. “They had some very good players who will be in or around their team on a weekly basis in Super League. “We lost a couple of the boys late on so our rotation was very limited, which is another reason why we focused a lot on a good start.” The Dons have one more pre-season fixture against London Broncos before their league campaign gets underway, and Horne says it will be another chance for players to put themselves forward for a place in the team. He added: “We’ll look to build up our performance levels against London because we know there is a big break after that game. “We’d like to play our strongest side next week but it depends how the boys look in the week, we will assess the situation and put a team out on the back of that. “We’ve got a few weeks before our season starts, there is no panic from us as long as we’re hitting where we want to be come that Newcastle game.” View the full article
  11. Dons News

    REPORT | Dons 0 Leeds Rhinos 60

    The Dons produced a spirited display but were ultimately beaten 60-0 by Super League side Leeds Rhinos in their second pre-season game of 2019. Kyle Kesik started the game as part of his 12 month testimonial, as granted to him by the RFL. After a cagey opening 10 minutes or so, a strong Leeds side struck first as prop forward Mikolaj Oledzki collected the ball close to the line and powered his way over. The Dons almost hit back within six minutes as half-back Jordan Howden went through a gap to go over, but the referee called play back for an obstruction in the build-up. The Rhinos took advantage and extended their lead when back-rower Owen Trout weaved his way inside to score. Back-to-back tries then followed for Dave Furner’s side as the game passed the half-hour mark, with Anthony Mullally and Jack Ormondroyd the men to take advantage. There was still time for a fifth try from the visitors before the break, as highly rated centre Harry Newman got on the end of an offload to cross in the left corner. Leeds were first off the mark in the second-half as Brad Dwyer twisted away from the Dons defence to stretch his way over the line. The Dons threatened to get on the board 10 minutes later as Matty Chrimes found space down the right, before his pass inside went to ground to let Leeds off the hook. The Rhinos’ then showed their class in the final quarter, as Trout and Newman finished the game with two tries each, along with scores from James Donaldson, Jack Broadbent and Cameron Smith to give the score-line a more emphatic look. View the full article
  12. Kyle Kesik says it will be a proud moment to play in his testimonial game against Leeds Rhinos this weekend. The game will be the start of 12 months' worth of events for the Dons hooker, as granted to him by the RFL. He said: “I’m really looking forward to the game, it’s a big achievement and recognition for the 10 years I’ve spent here. “We’ve got some really good lads here and I’m looking forward to spending the day with them, and we have some former players in there as well. “There have been times over the years when I thought my time here was coming to an end, but I’ve stuck with it and continued working hard.” The game against the Rhinos is also the Dons’ penultimate pre-season fixture, with all eyes on a trip to Newcastle on the opening day of the league campaign. He added: “It’s a massive game for us and we need to build some confidence, we were short on numbers last week so we’ll be better. “I was annoyed and embarrassed with the result but it was good to get a lot of minutes under my belt and blow some cobwebs off. “The boys will benefit from it and feel fitter the longer we go on, we’ll be working on some combinations and see where we can hurt them.” Tickets for the game against Leeds are available from the Club Doncaster Box Office or from tickets.clubdoncaster.co.uk, there are NO cash gates on the day of the game. View the full article
  13. Kyle Kesik says it will be a proud moment to play in his testimonial game against Leeds Rhinos this weekend. The game will be the start of 12 months' worth of events for the Dons hooker, as granted to him by the RFL. He said: “I’m really looking forward to the game, it’s a big achievement and recognition for the 10 years I’ve spent here. “We’ve got some really good lads here and I’m looking forward to spending the day with them, and we have some former players in there as well. “There have been times over the years when I thought my time here was coming to an end, but I’ve stuck with it and continued working hard.” The game against the Rhinos is also the Dons’ penultimate pre-season fixture, with all eyes on a trip to Newcastle on the opening day of the league campaign. He added: “It’s a massive game for us and we need to build some confidence, we were short on numbers last week so we’ll be better. “I was annoyed and embarrassed with the result but it was good to get a lot of minutes under my belt and blow some cobwebs off. “The boys will benefit from it and feel fitter the longer we go on, we’ll be working on some combinations and see where we can hurt them.” Tickets for the game against Leeds are available from the Club Doncaster Box Office or from tickets.clubdoncaster.co.uk, there are NO cash gates on the day of the game. View the full article
  14. Super League side Leeds Rhinos have named their 19 man squad for the friendly against the Dons this weekend. The likes of Ashton Golding, Luke Briscoe, Brad Singleton, Brad Dwyer and Anthony Mullally are all included, as well as new signing James Donaldson. See the full squad below: 24. Luke Briscoe, 25. James Donaldson, 14. Brad Dwyer, 21. Ashton Golding, 9. Corey Johnson, 16. Loui McConnell, 8. Anthony Mullally, 23. Muizz Mustapha, 3. Harry Newman, 19. Mikolaj Oledzki, 18. Jack Ormondroyd, 10. Brad Singleton, 22. Cameron Smith, 7. Harvey Spence, 5. Alex Sutcliffe, 11. Owen Trout, 12. Dan Waite-Pullan, 15. Josh Walters, 1. Liam Whitton. Tickets for the game against Leeds are available from the Club Doncaster Box Office or from tickets.clubdoncaster.co.uk, there are NO cash gates on the day of the game. View the full article
  15. Dons News

    NEWS | 19 named for Leeds friendly

    Richard Horne has named his 19 man squad for the pre-season friendly against Leeds Rhinos at the Keepmoat Stadium on Sunday. Trialists Matty Chrimes, Ryan Dixon and Kieron Lawton are all included as well as Hull FC duo Kieran Buchanan and Charlie Graham. Five guest players will feature in the game for Kyle Kesik's testimonial, with Matt Carbutt, Mark Castle, Dean Colton, Paul Cooke and Lee Waterman all involved. See the full squad below: Matty Beharrell, Connor Bower, Ryan Boyle, Kieran Buchanan (D/R), Matty Chrimes (T), Kieran Cross, Ryan Dixon (T), Sam Doherty, Brandon Douglas, Brad Foster, Charlie Graham (D/R), Jordie Hedges, Jordan Howden, Kyle Kesik, Kieron Lawton (T), Richard Owen, Connor Scott, Russ Spiers, Nathan Slater (T). Tickets for the game against Leeds are available from the Club Doncaster Box Office or from tickets.clubdoncaster.co.uk, there are NO cash gates on the day of the game. View the full article