Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dons News

REPORT: Hunslet Hawks 48–6 Doncaster

Recommended Posts

Hunslet Hawks 48–6 Doncaster RLFC

John Charles Stadium

Ladbrokes Challenge Cup 4th Round

Hawks: Watson, Duckworth, Faal, Mvududu, Barnett, Brown, Thomas, Carbutt, Lee, Reed, Waterman, Normington, Williams. Interchange: Flanagan, Bell, Buttery, Haley.

Dons: Sheriff, Jones-Bishop, Doherty, L. Welham, Foggin-Johnston, Kesik, Hedges, Scott, Frankland, Nicholson, Tonks, Kelly,Walton. Interchange: Cross, Braham, Pickets-O’Donnell, Milton.

Richie Barnett scored four tries as the Dons crashed out of the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup at the hands of the Hunslet Hawks.

Hunslet made some early pressure count and took the lead after just eight minutes when hooker Jack Lee barged over from dummy half. The kick from Simon Brown was successful increasing the lead to 6-0.

The Hawks extended their lead on 27 minutes when a flowing move led to full back Jimmy Watson firing a cut out pass to Richie Barnett on the left wing and he dived over.

Following that try the Dons were reduced to 12 men, substitute Joe Picketts-O’Donnell was sent off for an apparent stamp leaving the Dons with it all to do.

Hunslet made the extra man count straight away as a strong move led to Barnett forcing his way over against three would be tacklers in the corner for his second try of the game. 14-0.

The Dons were almost back in it on the stroke of half time, but the referee ruled that there had been a knock on in the build up to Liam Welham’s try after consulting with the touch judge.

Half Time: Hunslet 14-0 Doncaster.

The Dons were back in the game almost instantly after the re-start. A high shot on Jordie Hedges gave the away side a penalty close to the line, a couple of tackles later and Zac Braham forced his way over to reduce the deficit. Hedges kicked the conversion from bang in front.

That try counted for nothing though as just moments later as the home side scored again. A fine break from George Flanagan got the Hawks within touching distance and from the resulting play former Dons’ back-rower Lee Waterman managed to squeeze between two defenders to score. Brown kicked the goal.

The Hawks went over the whitewash once more in the 57th minute, Waterman had too much strength for the Dons defence and made a great run which saw him grab his second of the game. The conversion extended the lead even further to 26-6.

Sloppy defending from the Dons allowed Hunslet to score again inside the final quarter, with the hooker Lee taking advantage of some space in the line to grab his second and the home sides’ sixth of the night. Brown added the extra two points.

The Hawks made further inroads with 10 minutes remaining, a fast move from right to left eventually saw the ball find Mufaro Mvududu who dived spectacularly over the try line. Brown kicked a great touchline conversion.

Barnett grabbed his hat-trick before the night was out, capping off a move that he started with a powerful finish in the corner.

It wasn’t long before the pacey winger was going over again. A pass was looped over to Barnett and he slid in for his fourth of the evening, with Brown kicking the goal.

Full Time: Hunslet Hawks 48-6 Doncaster

Hawks tries: Lee x2, Barnett x4, Waterman x2, Mvududu

Goals: Brown x6.

Dons tries: Braham,

Goals: Hedges x1

View the full article

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...