Lions v Batley at Station Road 1936

Blue Monkey

Agree with you there. I also tend to believe that many people, in all type of sport, will remember a time they saw their team being successful as the best period for the game. 24 years since we were last in the top flight? And then getting on for 50 since we were competing for top flight honours (realistically)? Its easy to see why the older generations of Lions fans would love the rugby played in the 60's.

I enjoy today's game. SL and below. If people born after 1980 took the opinion that the game is now a shadow of its former self, they probably wouldnt watch it or even play it.

I think the issue on the forum is that it's constantly thrown at people that today's game is awful and that it was brilliant pre-magna carta. And on that note, I'm going to watch some robotic rugby, played in shirts and in Aussie style, on sky. Or I might just enjoy the spectacle, who knows?!

Leeds v Hull? Live here in the USA on Fox! But it's at 2.30 in the afternoon and I've got a tee time for a quick 9 holes coming up......

lionsfanusa.gif

I was reading a Swinton programme today, and someone had sent in a letter lamenting the state of the scrums. How they're not allowed to push anymore, the props are redundant, and the art of hooking was being eroded etc.. The year? 1925!!! The point being that people will always hark back to their personal favourite glory days, it's a natural human reaction. I'd say just enjoy the game for what it is today (which is fantastic), & yes honour the memories & heroes of yesterday. But direct comparisons are generally pointless, & entirely subjective.

But, as Arnie said, I'll be back!

I'd expect nothing less! Hopefully discussing a win over at Batley. When was the last time we won at the Mount, Steve? I know we beat them at the LSV a few years back and about 10 years ago at Sedgley in the cup.

Leeds v Hull? Live here in the USA on Fox! But it's at 2.30 in the afternoon and I've got a tee time for a quick 9 holes coming up......

Hope you enjoyed your round! Do Fox have decent coverage or is it the same as the NFL coverage on sky? Just Fox pictures with sky pundits in between.

I'd expect nothing less! Hopefully discussing a win over at Batley. When was the last time we won at the Mount, Steve? I know we beat them at the LSV a few years back and about 10 years ago at Sedgley in the cup.

Going back almost a lifetime, my best memory of going to Mount Pleasant was the CC match in 1967 which ended 22-0 for the Lions.

I only come in here about once a week which is why I hadn't relied, if you watch Aussie RL every week how can you say it's robotic? That's a tired saying from the 80's

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

Archived