Nicola Sturgeon vs Theresa May

I know a lot of people who agree with you. I wonder if the Tories are hanging on to Scotland for nostalgia reasons. Labour would certainly be in even worse trouble in a rump UK so it's easy to see why they don't want to separate. The problem there is that they lost a huge wedge of votes to the SNP as a result. The Tories have very little to lose in Scotland and the SNP can just blame Brexit for everything - the Lib Dems will bounce back a bit too and pick up some remainers so Labour have a serious problem.

TBF I do not doubt that the Conservative and Unionist party are genuinely petty keen on conserving the union.  If Scotland were to break away, the Conservative could lurch to the right slightly and Labour follow them until the two party system was restored with the centre moved a little.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived