Hunslet v South Wales

Hunslet Miner

64 - 7 very comfortable win for Hunslet. In such a one sided game, all of the team looked good but George Flanagan was again the pick of our players on the day. his performances for Hunslet have been excellent all season except for the odd time when he has lost the plot. Then again if he was as good as he is and really level headed, he would be playing in a division above us!!

Providing they are no slip ups next week against Hemel, the fact that North Wales managed to lose to Coventry means that the game against London Scholars will decide whether the League 1 shield final is at their ground or ours.

yesterday I watched Melbourne storm against Camberra Raiders on channel 95 and noticed they had two referees on the field. Any idea which referee makes the key decisions?

Hello Hunslet Miner, I have the answer for you having watched for eight years since I retired. Both referees have the same decision making powers so either can make a decision. 

One referee looks after the team with the ball, the other referee looks after the team defending if you like to put it that way. When the ball changes hands for any reason the defending team that was is now the team with the ball. 

The referee who was looking after the team with the ball now changes position and is now doing the same job, looking after the team with the ball. The referee who was looking after the defending team originally also changes position and is looking after the new defending team .

Both referees now have change position by 180 degrees so they are both still doing their original job. This happens every time the ball changes hands to the opposition. These referees have to be very fit ! They also both wear the same colored jersey so it is easy to spot them while their is play. 

A pity I cannot send a recorded clip as watching it for five minutes you would soon get the idea. 

It sounds complicated just trying to write down the idea but in actual fact it is quite simple when you see it in a game. I hope my explanation is of some help to you. Lapu Lapu Hun resident in the Philippines. 65 plus years ago you would have found me at Mother Bensons End on the grass with several uncles and dad behind me.

Allan Winterburn is my real name. 

Archived