GARY THORNTON REFLECTS ON GAME OF TWO HALVES AT OLDHAM

GARY THORNTON REFLECTS ON GAME OF TWO HALVES AT OLDHAM

5739.jpg

Rochdale Hornets head coach Gary Thornton says there were plenty of positives to take after seeing his side bow out of the 1895 Cup group stages following a battling defeat away at Oldham.

Rochdale Hornets head coach Gary Thornton says there were plenty of positives to take after seeing his side bow out of the 1895 Cup group stages following a battling defeat away at Oldham. 

The Hornets were beaten 38-12 at Boundary Park by an Oldham side tipped by many to challenge for promotion to the Betfred Championship this season, having previously defeated Halifax Panthers in the first set of group stage fixtures before knocking Barrow Raiders out of the Betfred Challenge Cup. 

A tough first half saw Thornton's men trail 26-0, but an improved showing in the second half saw the teams score two converted tries apiece.

Jordan Andrade and Kenny Baker crossed for the Hornets, with Matthew Rudd converting on both occasions.

Reflecting on the display of his side, Thornton said: "I was disappointed with the result. In the first half we were slow to get going, and I think we showed too much respect to Oldham. 

"We weren't aggressive enough with our defence or our line speed, and I think we invited them into our half too easily with soft penalties and repeat sets.

"Oldham are a good team and have an impressive squad with the signings they've made, and I think we were a little too passive defensively in the first half.

"I have to say that in the second half, we showed plenty of commitment, team spirit and togetherness to get back into the game. Scoring a couple of tries ourselves and limiting Oldham to two of their own was a good response to a poor first half showing. 

"We had to make some forced changes and had some key players missing, but I thought the younger guys stood up well and had a good go, against a formidable League 1 team.

"Aside from the result, I was proud of a lot of what we did, especially in the second 40. Moving forward, the next time we play Oldham, we'll be knowledgeable about what they're like, and I think it will stand us in good stead. 

"We're growing steadily towards where we want to be. The new season is still three weeks away, and our ultimate aim is what we do in the league. It's always disappointing to lose, but there's plenty to build on and our focus remains getting ready for Midlands away in Round 1."

The Hornets' attention now switches to this weekend's trip to Championship side Batley Bulldogs in the fourth round of the Challenge Cup. 

The two sides will meet this coming Sunday, 25 February, with kick-off at 2pm.