We done it again! ,,Whitehaven 16 Hunslet 30

SOUTHOFTHERIVER

So after being absent for the first win in three months last weekend, superstition kicked in and it almost felt against my better judgement as I set off for Cumbria yesterday.

No need to worry though! A cracking effort that saw us pretty much on top from the first minute to the last. I'm not going to lie, it wasn't exactly free flowing rugby with the ball zipping from wing to wing, but we did the basics really well, everybody - the forwards especially - did a grand job and team spirit is quite clearly back. The fact that we had at least one - and probably two - other perfectly good tries ruled out is a measure of how on top we were. Backhouse probably edged MOM for me.

A few bumps and bruises picked up though unfortunately, Maun got a nasty eye injury, Watson got clobbered making a try-saving tackle down the right wing and Duckworth and Castle were both hobbling about at some stage in the game. Hopefully they'll all be OK for next week.

An enjoyable day all round though, I was going to express thanks to Featherstone for beating Batley but it sounds as though we should thank Batley for finding a way to lose ... and so the Great Escape lives on for another week!!

Just to confirm, we need to get at least one more league point than Batley from the next two games to take it into a "winner stays up, loser goes down" showdown at the Mount on the final day. Our two games are of course Doncaster and Featherstone at home, Batley have Whitehaven at home and London away ...

Batley vs. Whitehaven is now impossible to predict, especially after the frankly ludicrous manner of Batley's loss at Featherstone on Sunday. The highlights of that match are now on the Batley website and what happens as the final hooter goes is as bizarre and ridiculous as anything I've seen in 45 years of watching this game. Things like that mess with players' minds, and it will be as big a challenge for John Kear as anything in his previous career to pick them up off the floor after that. We (and they) will only find out how they respond on Sunday. 

And opposite them will be Whitehaven, probably the form team over the last month until we saw them off on Sunday, but who declared a mission to finish in the top half of the group earlier in the week. They still can if they win, but lose and they are back in the relegation mire, so they certainly won't be coming down for a nice day out.

Another interesting weekend lies ahead then ...

Archived