-
Posts
280 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Member Profile
-
Gender
Male
Recent Profile Visitors
3,762 profile views
mrfranco's Achievements
175
Reputation
-
Right, but I think the point is you won't need a base subscription to DAZN, just one to WatchNRLandSL and you're good to go. I think.
-
How does that work, exactly? Asking cos this is presumably the type of model the NRL are heading towards. Is it that DAZN is just a platform and you have to pay separately for each sport? So you don't pay DAZN a subscription and get like a Sky Sports style mix of sports, but you just pay specifically for options you want? e.g. I might want to watch RL but not interested enough in NHL to pay separately for it (whereas if it all came in a bundle I might watch the odd game)
-
PVL says it's been all hands to the pumps on the TV deal, but now that's sorted he hopes to get a deal with SL in the next few weeks https://www.sen.com.au/news/2026/07/14/nrl-2026-peter-vlandys-hopeful-of-the-nrls-potential-purchase-of-super-league
-
I think some people have really hit some nails on the head here. Three key points for me: 1. Is there actually any truth to this? We've had TNT and others (e.g. DAZN last time out) wheeled out before when the clock on the TV contract was starting to run down, but I'm not sure there was any real interest from them at the time. 2. All things being equal, Sky's reach is much bigger, especially if TNT is losing the EPL, so you'd be better off with them. But any TNT interest is of course very useful in terms of making Sky try a bit harder with their offer. 3. If we did end up on a TNT Rugby channel instead of Sky (but with some terrestrial coverage still), I do think it would be interesting. I do think that there really is scope to get RU watchers interested when they stumble across an NRL or SL game or two, esp during their off season. I think it actually could be a way to attract a new audience... and if we also get a well-run Broncos in SL, maybe even to start getting some new people to games eventually.
-
France Rugby League Leaders Meet V'Landys and Abdo
mrfranco replied to The Daddy's topic in The General Rugby League Forum
Have you told the Euro13s guy that? -
Oh, I thought you were quoting "I'm not upset because you presented a ridiculous argument "
-
Do you see the proposed Wigan v Warrington game in Dublin next year as a positive for the game in Ireland or an irrelevance?
-
Apparently he is in the meeting, so I think you'll be right
-
This unusual structure actually sounds like the best system that fits within the 21 games and 5 weeks framework. So it won't be this.
-
Seems almost doable... give the two existing professional South Wales rugby clubs a place in Super League, with current home bases, owners, sponsors, etc., central funding from SL TV deal, plus backing from the NRL or its clubs to provide some extra funding and establish proper player pathways (which the NRL clubs would then benefit from in the medium-to-long term)... All very alluring, but even forgetting the issue of whether enough of their fans would ever go for it to make it worthwhile (how many Wigan and Warrington fans would go and watch their old clubs if they suddenly joined the RFU structure), it's all pie in the sky stuff, sadly.
-
NRL expansion (Merged Threads)
mrfranco replied to John bird's topic in The General Rugby League Forum
The relevant question for the Western/Perth Bears is, do those old South Melbourne fans in Melbourne support the Sydney Swans and go and watch them when they play in Melbourne, which presumably happens quite a lot? If they do, that's the precedent the NRL are looking to emulate with the Bears. If the above is true, it would also be interesting to know if the South Melbourne fans in Melbourne are only the oldies who remember the team being based there, or if the (now Sydney-based) club still attracts next generations of fans in Melbourne. -
The Things We Might Re-imagine
mrfranco replied to fighting irish's topic in The General Rugby League Forum
I think we should bring back Wire v Leeds finals -
12 SL clubs coming in at the last 32 stage, rather than last 16 stage, is a good thing - for income for lower ranked clubs, for less fixture fatigue as you say, for the romance of the cup, for the cup not being almost a straight SL shootout - but the balance seems a bit wrong here. Perhaps all SL & Champ entering at last 32 stage would be more sensible, leaving room for 7 qualifiers from below that. SL clubs and top 4 of champ seeded to play away as this year.
