Cooke: ''I still think we can improve''

Dons News

Doncaster RLFC head coach Paul Cooke spoke to the official website following Sunday’s loss to Bradford Bulls.

It was a thrilling contest at the Keepmoat Stadium where over 2,000 spectators saw Bradford record a hard fought 56-38 victory. 

Cooke was pleased with some aspects of what he saw from his side, but insisted there is still more to come. 

He said: “We’ve averaged 12 points a game over the first ten weeks and to score 38 points at home against anybody but Leigh or Bradford, we are probably looking at winning the game.

“Defensively they catch you, they are full time and a good side and we won’t play them every week. 

“We are encouraged by the steps we have taken forward, but that doesn’t mean we are going to score 38 points every week and win games, it means that we are capable of attacking better than what we have done over the last ten weeks and defensively we need to fix up the ruck.

“It was the best we have attacked in 2015, but I still think we can improve, I still think we left some opportunities out there.

“The area I am looking at is the ruck in regards to the contact, wrestle and reset that cost us dearly today.

“We had a 5-1 penalty count first half and it was a fully deserved penalty count, when you miss contact and you are trying to wrestle, you hold them down because contact has been missed and we have some work to do in that area.”

You can read the full match report HERE

You can read debutant Matt Groat's post match thoughts HERE.

View the full article

Archived