Thornton: Room for improvement

Dons News

Gary Thornton said that the Dons were a work in progress having kicked off their Championship One season in resounding fashion.

The Keepmoat Stadium side put 40 points on Gloucestershire All Golds, but the head coach saw scope for improvement.

“I was pleased with most parts of the game. I was disappointed in the way in which we came out in the second half though,” he said.

“For 20 minutes we were poor and let Gloucester back in the game with some sloppy defence and poor penalties but recovered and finished the game pretty strongly.

“If I’m honest, the score probably flattered us a little bit, I was disappointed with that 20 minute period just after half time. We’d had a decent start to the game and took some chances, scored some good tries but we’ve got lots of improvement in us yet.”

Thornton did lay praise at the feet of young hooker Kieran Cross – who bagged a hat-trick – as the Dons ran away with the game in the latter stages.

“Kieran was very good, he’s still got a lot to learn but he’s come in to our system from the amateur game at Toll Bar. I’m delighted a local lad is doing well, it’s great to see that and Zak Braham was unlucky not to be in the side for Gloucester because he’s been going really well too.

“I’m delighted to see two young local guys coming out of the amateur game and taking their chance. Kieran was excellent on Sunday and benefited from other players such as George Milton who was very, very good and created opportunities.

“That was pleasing (fitness levels) that we finished the game strongly. We’ve put a lot of emphasis on getting them fit this season – that’s been one of my biggest aims and objectives – and competitive and that certainly was the case on Sunday.

“To only concede two tries during the game was pretty good, I think some of our goal line defence was excellent and we know teams are going to come to Doncaster – as one of the teams at the top who everyone wants to beat – everybody will come and want to do well at our place so we’ve got some tough challenges ahead. If we can keep teams to two scores I’ll be happy with that, as long as we score three!”

The Dons next home game is 25th March v York City Knights. To buy your tickets CLICK HERE or call 01302 762576.

View the full article

Archived