REACTION: Thornton Hugely Dissapointed With Cup Exit

Dons News

<p>Doncaster Rugby League head coach Gary Thornton spoke to the official website following las t night’s defeat at Hunslet Hawks.</p>

<p>Joe Pickets-O’Donnell was sent off as Doncaster crashed out of the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup with a 48-6 defeat at the John Charles Stadium.</p>

<p>Thornton was far from pleased with the display put on by his side and there was also bad news on the injury front.</p>

<p>“I’m hugely disappointed with our performance, I thought we were really poor, in the first half especially.</p>

<p>“With regards to the sending off, I think Joe (Pickets-O’Donnell) is just trying to get out of the tackle in an enthusiastic manner really, trying to play the ball quickly and Lee Waterman has been messing around at the play the ball area and it looks like Joe has been sent off for kicking out at him.</p>

<p>“Whether he has or not I’ll need to look at the video and have a better look, but the referee has done him for kicking out and if that is the case and he has got it right then Joe will be facing a ban.</p>

<p>“It is hard for me to make a call on it without seeing it back, but it is what it is and the referee can only give what he see’s on the day.</p>

<p>“It is an impossible task then with 12 men, especially when we ended up with no bench because of injuries.</p>

<p>“We lost Mike Kelly with a head injury, Kyle Kesik with a hamstring injury, along with George Milton and Sam Doherty who picked up shoulder injuries.</p>

<p>“When we got the try after half time I thought we might have made a bit of a comeback but that never materialised, we kept inviting Hunslet into our half of the field and they took their chances.</p>

<p>“It was tough watching the second half and an uncomfortable evening all around, but fair play to Hunslet, they showed a lot of enthusiasm where we lacked a lot of enthusiasm and deserved the win.</p>

<p>“I hope we learn lessons from that because it was simply not good enough and I’m very disappointed throughout.</p>

<p>“I want to go into every game to win it and I thought it was a winnable game.  We are back here in five weeks time and I am sure we will come back in a better state and put up a better performance.</p>

<p>“I expect us to win in five weeks time when it is in the league, the league is our priority but that doesn’t take away from the disappointment.”</p>

<p>“We need to take a long hard look at the video and some of our players need to have a look at themselves.”</p>

View the full article

Archived