England vs Samoa Series

Let’s start talking about it now and see if we can build it up ourselves 

Where are they going to play?

What will the Samoa team be?

What will the England team be?

Who do we think the star players will be?

Which positions have the most competition for places?

Who’s going and are you bringing any neutrals?

Do we think it would be impossible to get a crowd into St James Park a la the WC opener? what would we consider a successful crowd for Newcastle (25-30k??) 

coukd we be brave enough to do 

Newcastle (SJP), Leeds (Headingly), London (20-30k Ground) 

if not - Wigan, Leeds, London/Newcastle

Would love the RFL or IMG to get working now with someone like Jerome Luai (play the Villain card) and any 1 of the England players wanting revenge 

so many stories we can market from the WC for this series (Samoa revenge in Newcastle, England Revenge in London etc) 

• Like 1

This will be the last opportunity of a home series for 3 years, with the Ashes and WC in 25/26, so that could be a promotional point.

1. Alexander Stadium Birmingham - use it to boost the Hurricanes

2. Wigan

3. Headingley

It should be free entry at all 3 games to children on school organised trips

• Like 1

The North

Kick it off at Headingley and fill it.

The Midlands

Perhaps Meadow Lane, Nottingham (20k) or the King Power, Leicester (32k)?

The South

I like the idea of Fulham (29k), especially given the back-story of the rugby league team. Another possible venue could be The Valley, Charlton (27k), also with a bit of former RL history. 

• Like 1

Warm up game v Cumbria

Brentford

Wigan

Leeds

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

39 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

This will be the last opportunity of a home series for 3 years, with the Ashes and WC in 25/26, so that could be a promotional point.

1. Alexander Stadium Birmingham - use it to boost the Hurricanes

2. Wigan

3. Headingley

It should be free entry at all 3 games to children on school organised trips

I wouldn't use Alexander Stadium, I'm not a fan of grounds with a running track between the field and the spectators.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

1. Spurs

2. Anfield

3. Elland Road

Go big or go home!

I think a Samoa series does better in ticket sales than Tonga, but I couldn't see the point in selecting any ground above a 30-35k capacity unless you want to see large areas of unsold blocks.

If Tonga did 39k over 3 games what would be a positive yet realistic target over 3 games if the ideal stadiums were selected for Samoa 60k?

Personally I'd go

Headingley

Wigan

1 x London / Midlands 25-35k sized or Hull

2 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

The North

Kick it off at Headingley and fill it.

The Midlands

Perhaps Meadow Lane, Nottingham (20k) or the King Power, Leicester (32k)?

The South

I like the idea of Fulham (29k), especially given the back-story of the rugby league team. Another possible venue could be The Valley, Charlton (27k), also with a bit of former RL history. 

Why on earth would we play one in the Midlands?????

15 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

As per the other thread Brentford holds 17k but feels much bigger....great atmosphere and even with 12k looks brilliant.....it's the obvious London choice 

But that then flies in the face of all the other arguments about the Tonga crowds being inadequate for only generating 11-12k crowds. I thought there were tens of thousands of southerners prepared to watch a game down south?

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

I think a Samoa series does better in ticket sales than Tonga, but I couldn't see the point in selecting any ground above a 30-35k capacity unless you want to see large areas of unsold blocks.

If Tonga did 39k over 3 games what would be a positive yet realistic target over 3 games if the ideal stadiums were selected for Samoa 60k?

Personally I'd go

Headingley

Wigan

1 x London / Midlands 25-35k sized or Hull

And I think that could generate 55-60k across the 3 games too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Are you serious??

We are going to restrict ticket holders to people under 5'8" who can actually fit in those tiny seats?

Yes.

It's a big stadium and makes a statement in a way that Headingley doesn't. It has also held many great RL events over the years. One big West Yorkshire venue is far more preferable than having two, as we did this year, and Headingley really shouldn't be big enough.

The game needs to think bigger.