Thornton pleased with fighting spirit.

Dons News

Head coach Gary Thornton felt the last gasp win over Leeds was the perfect preparation for the final pre-season fixture against Hull FC.

The Dons trailed 12-30 at half-time, but fought back to draw the game level before a Jack Miller drop-goal won the match with seconds remaining.

Thornton was pleased with the reaction of his players after what was a tough first half against the Rhinos.

“We looked rusty with some of our attacking plays in the first half, we addressed it at half-time and second-half we scored some really good tries and in the end just about deserved the win,” he said.

“There was a lot more aggression about the second half and I thought we were a lot more clinical with the ball.

“We showed a lot of character to come back against an impressive young Leeds team, I thought they were very good.”

The Dons boss was pleased all of his players were able to come through a physical encounter without suffering any injuries, with Hull set to provide the next opposition before the League One season gets underway in just over a month’s time.

“We haven’t got any new knocks so we’re reasonably healthy and should have a few bodies back next week,” Thornton added.

“I’m hoping Jordie Hedges, Mark Castle & Mason Tonks will be fit for the Hull game so that will add to the competition for places here.

“I think Hull will play a few first team players against us so it’s going to be a strong test, that’s what we want as it will ensure we’re ready when the competitive action starts.”

View the full article

Archived