Applications to League 1 Open

9 hours ago, sam4731 said:

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/62750/betfred-league-one-–-applications-invited

Personally I think it's a bit farcical a national sport is offering a place amongst its professional ranks via a public fan app but who do we think are the runners and riders?

It's a press release asking interested parties to contact a specific person for details.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's a press release asking interested parties to contact a specific person for details.

The RFL have contacted various clubs asking if they’re interested though, a couple of months ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

Way way too good for league 1. Already a top team in the championship.

The OP asked who are the front runners. Carcassonne are one such. 

• Like 4

Just now, Eddie said:

The RFL have contacted various clubs asking if they’re interested though, a couple of months ago. 

That's still not "a national sport is offering a place amongst its professional ranks via a public fan app".

They would also be a bit stupid if they didn't sound existing clubs out in advance.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Can’t help but think League 1 needs to be split into North, East, South and West with the 1895 Cup contested between clubs in this tier only as an opportunity for cross conference fixtures.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That's still not "a national sport is offering a place amongst its professional ranks via a public fan app".

They would also be a bit stupid if they didn't sound existing clubs out in advance.

I know. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Can’t help but think League 1 needs to be split into North, East, South and West with the 1895 Cup contested between clubs in this tier only as an opportunity for cross conference fixtures.

Two clubs in each conference? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I know. 

Genuine Q: are you aware of any clubs in your area or league who would be tempted to try?

Seems to me like every one in the south is not at that point yet.

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Two clubs in each conference? 

Hopefully a few lower tier clubs would be willing to step up. I still remember the old NL 3 as a great stepping stone for new or aspirational, non heartland clubs. The national footprint of the division killed it.

We’ve had clubs like Coventry, Hemel, St Albans, Essex, Sth London, Skolars, Oxford, Gloucester, Northampton, Nottingham, Cardiff, South Wales, West Wales all playing in a national competition when in reality, none of them were suitably resourced to participate in a competition/division spanning the length and width of GB.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

There aren't the teams for that and the teams we have at a lower level in those areas are already playing in those type of leagues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

There aren't the teams for that and the teams we have at a lower level in those areas are already playing in those type of leagues.

I agree. 

If the aim is to build those Southern clubs and bring greater visibility to their presence then the answer seems to be to resource and promote the SCL better rather than move those clubs en bloc to L1.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I’ve seen quotes from at least one L1 expansion clubs who think that regionalisation wouldn’t be to their benefit as they feel they need to be playing the ‘heartlands’ teams on a regular basis.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That is my understanding and I gather none of the clubs they have asked are interested.

Any Southern club that shows any interest will soon lose interest when the terms and conditions for joining are put on the table, and they see the odds are stacked against them, as the RFL has zero interest in developing the game outside of the M62 corridor.

14 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I’ve seen quotes from at least one L1 expansion clubs who think that regionalisation wouldn’t be to their benefit as they feel they need to be playing the ‘heartlands’ teams on a regular basis.

It’s not about what they “think” is good for them, it’s about what is good for the collective of the sport in that region. Sometimes a governor needs to look out for what is good for the co-operative rather than playing to individual interests which may well be far too aspirational in the first place.

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

Which division in a NSEW setup do you think would be short of teams?

41 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s not about what they “think” is good for them, it’s about what is good for the collective of the sport in that region. Sometimes a governor needs to look out for what is good for the co-operative rather than playing to individual interests which may well be far too aspirational in the first place.

This is British RL. It’s always about what the clubs want for themselves and never the sport as a whole.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I’m not sure if that benefits expansion clubs. They need to fill their teams with Northern players to be competitive which diverts any money from actually growing the club. If they rely on home grown players then they just struggle along at the bottom of the table 

• Like 2

The NCL Management recently discussed this subject with the RFL.

The RFL have abandoned their  previous stance of discrimination against heartland  Community clubs and invite applications on merit from all areas.. They are working on criteria. They are looking at the pyramid  ( both up and if necessary down ).

Early days. Interesting times......

• Like 2