NEWS | Tonks back in contention

Dons News

Gary Thornton is looking forward to having Mason Tonks back available for selection when the Dons take on Hunslet this weekend.

Tonks hasn’t featured so far this season due to a back injury, but has been named in the squad for the game at the Keepmoat Stadium.

“Mason has done really well in training over the past couple of weeks in increasing his strength and fitness levels so he will be up for selection,” Thornton said.

“If he’d been in a full time environment I think he would have been back two or three weeks earlier but he’s not and that’s just where we are at this moment in time.

“He needs to play, there’s only so much training you can do before you get out there on the field, we have to manage his return and make sure he’s ready to play.”

The Dons face Hunslet on the back of four consecutive victories, and the head coach is looking for a complete performance on home soil.

“I’m looking for an 80 minute performance this weekend, we’ve been good in patches so far this season without putting in a complete spell of dominance,” he added.

“It will be a tough test, they’re a little bit like us in the sense that they haven’t really got going yet - James Coyle will have them well drilled so we have to be wary of that.

“I want us to be solid in defence and keep teams out and then at the other end play expansively which means picking the right options as that will allow us to score points.”

View the full article

Archived