Seen in last week's League Express!

Geoff Lee

Last week's copy of League Express included my letter in which I referred to the decline in the mental health of some players when they stop playing, some referees when they stop refereeing and some supporters as they begin to grow old. My suggestion on how to deal with this problem is to spend some quality time each week, writing a novel based generally on your own life, a novel that can include tales from your childhood and family tree, your work, home town characters and history, your hobbies and your special interest both in the game today and its history.

People who I have suggested this to, usually agree with me that it seems an interesting way to spend time but then go on to say that they just would not know how to do it. For such people, I have now written three pages of general advice. This is based on the fact that since starting writing my first novel called "One Winter" in 1988, I  have now written half a million words in six novels in a series that covers the years 1962 to 2008.

If you would like to read these sheets, then contact me at wgeofflee@gmail.com and ask me to send you "Geoff's RL Writing Advice"  However you might first prefer to read one of my novels or maybe like to buy one as a Christmas present for someone who likes a good laugh. To start with then, I would suggest "Three Good Years". It has a general background of Work, Family Life, Saving the NHS and Rugby League.   The first  chapter is titled "The Jehovah's Widnes" and the novel is set between 2006 and 2008 in the fictional town of Ashurst  which borders with both Widnes and St Helens, my home town, on its south side and Billinge and Ashton on the north side..   

To order a copy visit the web site of London League Publications at www.llpshop,co,uk and click on Books and then Fiction.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".