2023 Season

Joe 90

Perhaps you can explain why most of the other clubs also with   vastly reduced budgets performed  throughout  the season at a much higher level. Stop making  excuses    We have now had a year of  transition   and rebuilding Let us see what happens next

Perhaps you can explain why most of the other clubs also with   vastly reduced budgets performed  throughout  the season at a much higher level. Stop making  excuses    We have now had a year of  transition   and rebuilding Let us see what happens next

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, E.Thickett said:

I'm not making excuses just sticking to the facts.

Perhaps you can explain which other clubs have vastly reduced budgets like we have or had the problems like we had last year to contend with???

1. Dewsbury- Came down with the core of a Championship squad which they retained and bounced straight back with. They own their stadium and facilities and have hardly been outside of Championship in the past decade. They beat Widnes in the CC also suggesting they are a class above this level?

2. Doncaster- I was told are spending 3 or 4 times as much as Hornets this year and they have a number of experienced Championship and ex Super League / NRL stars in a squad that could arguably hold its own at the lower end of Championship?

3. Oldham- Seem to have invested more this year and are rumoured in the RL press to be going even bigger next year. Players like McNally, Baker and Sheridan all left us for much more money at Oldham by all accounts which would suggest they haven't cut their budget either? 

4. Hunslet- Significantly increased their spend and have backed Killshaw his year with marque type players at this level such as Steve Crossley, Adam Ryder and Sam Hallas who all dropped down a division to Hunslet.

5. Workington- Came out of Championship like Dewsbury and are rebuilding like us, but have much greater revenue streams from their own stadium and facilities than Hornets.

6. North Wales- Finished above us for the previous two seasons and retained a large % of that team. Despite a change in coach this year they seemed much more settled than we have been and didn't start from scratch like Gary has had to.

Midlands- Have been very competitive this year and seem to be improving quickly under Mark Dunning the ex Bradford coach. Beat them home and away and its worth noting they travelled to Oldham and won on Sunday so are clearly no mugs.

Cornwall- Improving at the back end of the season with a strong core of heartlands based players and a number of loans from Champ and SL clubs which they did not have at the start of the year when losing to Mayfield. They went to North Wales a few weeks ago and won so are improving clearly. 

Reading Andy's statement our ambitions seem to be much more competitive next year and hopefully competing nearer the top end. It seems like he and others will be investing to try and make that happen and we should all get behind them as I'm not sure what the alternative to these guys would be??

"We believe in Gary, our staff and the core of the group we have assembled this year and thanks to the stability created by Gary’s professional management I have had the confidence to commit even more personally along with the support of others to an increased playing budget for 2024. This is despite poor season ticket uptake, poor crowds generally and plenty work yet to be done in terms of increasing the clubs’ numbers and revenues. This front foot approach has enabled us to get out of the traps early this past few months, not only securing the talented players we already have and who where attracting interest elsewhere, but also successfully securing some real quality and experienced targets who Gary believes will significantly improve the team in 2024"

I for one am thankful to the current ownership and board that we still have a club to support at all. That was far from a given at the end of a disastrous 2019.

1 hour ago, E.Thickett said:

I have just noted your latest comments and I agree with you. You say that Andy is doing a good job but Dewsbury, Doncaster, Oldham, Hunslet, Workington, North Wales, Midlands and Cornwall  have all performed better this season 

None had the issues we had to deal with and had to slash their playing budgets by over 50% and completely rebuild though did they?

Lets at least give Gary and our guys chance to continue the work they are doing.

Time and patience in sport is a key ingredient to success. 

• Like 1

This season is over. Bring on next season. I purchase a season ticket, I pay into the squad builder, I’m in the Lottery.As a pensioner I can’t do much more . I’m a member of All Hornets who do a fantastic job. I am also in Mayfield’s lottery and I enjoyed Matt Callands time in charge with local lads in the squad. I realise it didn’t pay off and I’m sure Gary Thornton deserves a season with more backing. Good luck to everyone at the club for next season.

• Like 3