LEAGUE 1 2024

HornyHornyHorneeet

Dont understand the quote re  Cornwall. Their quoted comment is pretty innocuous. Why did it make common sense for them to not participate in one of the Leagues competitions and so forgo one or more home games? Why is it common sense for them to be excluded but not Newcastle?

We still have three blank weekends at the end of May and go over two months without a home game. Yes we know its about the football club doing work on the pitch, but it certainly doesnt help getting a regular crowd. Dont know what the answer is but folks find other things to do with their sundays during this period. Not sure whether other clubs who play home games on football grounds go as long without a home game.

We are still a long way from a regular home-away-home- away regular season

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Dont understand the quote re  Cornwall. Their quoted comment is pretty innocuous. Why did it make common sense for them to not participate in one of the Leagues competitions and so forgo one or more home games? Why is it common sense for them to be excluded but not Newcastle?

We still have three blank weekends at the end of May and go over two months without a home game. Yes we know its about the football club doing work on the pitch, but it certainly doesnt help getting a regular crowd. Dont know what the answer is but folks find other things to do with their sundays during this period. Not sure whether other clubs who play home games on football grounds go as long without a home game.

We are still a long way from a regular home-away-home- away regular season

Well without getting a UK roadmap out its pretty clear to see that localised group stages minimise expenditure and maximise some vital early season revenues for League 1 clubs. I guess had the clubs not stood up and forced this change the alternative would likely have been status quo and a very real possibility of more clubs being starved of oxygen and further casualties. 

Newcastle is a two hour bus ride from parts of Yorkshire. Cornwall on the other hand can be 10-12 hours journey from parts of Cumbria, Lancashire and Yorkshire, involving significant travel costs and hotel overnight stay's etc. Our club reported last year at a forum that we now receive something like just 18k central funding and the trip to Cornwall costs us 7.5k. i will say no more.

There has clearly been a common sense approach to this to solve a problem for 2024 whilst driving increased revenue from 1895 group games to League 1 clubs, with Championship clubs forgoing any revenue and home advantage. 

Including Cornwall would have clearly been prohibitive to the approach and the article alludes to them being financially compensated for stepping aside.

Well done to the RFL, Andy Mazey, Mike Ford and the other League 1 & Championship leaders i say for working collaboratively to find a short term solution in difficult times with vastly reduced finances and resources within the sport.

Context is key, the backdrop to all this is the TV broadcast deal that basically funds the RFL and professional clubs in recent years has effectively halved. Many clubs our own included do not currently generate the kind of revenue through the gates etc to fully mitigate those central funding cuts and are therefore reliant on owner / shareholder financial input and are having to work harder than ever to sustain. The least we as supporters can do is do our little bit in my opinion. I have bought a Platinum pass even though i wont make all games, i have recently doubled my lottery and have signed up for All Hornets membership in 2024. 

Glass half full.......

Edited by HornyHornyHorneeet
  • Like 2

Birmingham to Truro 257 miles

Birmingham to Newcastle 208 miles

Birmingham to Workington 212 miles

Birmingham to Whitehaven 217 miles

Hardly out of line with other trips unless a M62 corridor perspective is adopted.

Of course it would not be the only decision taken by the RFL that reinforces that M62 corridor perspective. The shift of Magic weekend to Leeds, the hosting of international games appear to be further evidence of a lack of confidence in ‘expansion’.

Why approve the entry of a cornwall team into the league if other teams find playing games at Cornwall to be prohibitive. Its this inconsistency of decisions that is frustrating. I believe they were one of the better supported teams in league 1 last season.

6 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Birmingham to Truro 257 miles

Birmingham to Newcastle 208 miles

Birmingham to Workington 212 miles

Birmingham to Whitehaven 217 miles

Hardly out of line with other trips unless a M62 corridor perspective is adopted.

Of course it would not be the only decision taken by the RFL that reinforces that M62 corridor perspective. The shift of Magic weekend to Leeds, the hosting of international games appear to be further evidence of a lack of confidence in ‘expansion’.

Why approve the entry of a cornwall team into the league if other teams find playing games at Cornwall to be prohibitive. Its this inconsistency of decisions that is frustrating. I believe they were one of the better supported teams in league 1 last season.

I guess thats another story all together as i was told the clubs never ever got consulted on Cornwall or indeed ever got chance to vote on it and only found out the day it was announced that it was in-fact going to be a club in Cornwall.

Cornwall was born from Hemel being initially moved to Ottawa and then Ottawa never getting off the ground and all of a sudden popping up in Cornwall.

Let's not forget that this situation with League 1 escalated by the loss of West Wales, London and for a time it looked like Newcastle had gone also which clearly impacts.

Im not sure what angle you are taking on this really as its clearly a common sense outcome that satisfies the vast majority for 2024 only.

• Like 2