TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The Blue Lagoon Rescue Fund

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (DMS @ Dec 18 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
jamescolin, you've been watching too many Bronson films mate. biggrin.gif

Talking from practical experience. You either have a perpetual patrol or you pay one of the local hooligans to protect it for you. It doesn't have to be much. In my time in the army the chief troublemaker or non conformist was the guy who got a stripe. Then you saw a change of attitude. Get one of them on your side make him feel important and see the results. If anybody has a better idea then lets hear it.

#22 Bob Fowler

Bob Fowler

The Future Is Bright

• Coach
  • 7,738 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (jamescolin @ Dec 18 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some years ago when my kids were small I had our sledge stolen. It was a good sledge and worth a bob or two. I went to where the usual villians hang out and offered the 'big guy' a personal reward for the name of the culprit and the return of the sledge. I got both. Somebody will know who did it. Offer a free pint per home game or something on the basis that the ground is left alone. You say that nothing will work. So you go the villains den and negotiate. Protection money? Get the leader on your side and forget it. It is cheaper believe me. Giving in to the villians? No, using common sense and getting just getting the important one on your side. When he feels important he will do more for the club that it costs. Might go against the grain, a suggestion such as this but it is a solution.

Isn't that rewarding a villian or creating a protection racket ? Like you Colin I would have hoped that civic pride would come to the fore, but in today's World where children are breeding children where parents seem to encourage lack of respect to others then only a correct punishment is merited, I'm not speaking about an ASBO or community service, but a Boot camp for offenders, if parents won't teach them then society MUST. Like you Colin a different approach, but like you I've experienced being brought up in a strict but loving family, perhaps that's what's wrong with society today, I don't know!
To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

#23 DMS

DMS
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (jamescolin @ Dec 18 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Talking from practical experience. You either have a perpetual patrol or you pay one of the local hooligans to protect it for you. It doesn't have to be much. In my time in the army the chief troublemaker or non conformist was the guy who got a stripe. Then you saw a change of attitude. Get one of them on your side make him feel important and see the results. If anybody has a better idea then lets hear it.

That's called a protection racket. We aren't running the Sopranos HQ jamescolin. I know it's the only suggestion we've had so far but it's straight out of the Jack Higgins school of thought. blush.gif
"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

#24 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (DMS @ Dec 18 2009, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's called a protection racket. We aren't running the Sopranos HQ jamescolin. I know it's the only suggestion we've had so far but it's straight out of the Jack Higgins school of thought. blush.gif

Society is ###### these days. A bloke who defended his house, is reported in today's paper, he and his family tackled burgulars that beat and tied them up before one escaped and raised the alarm. They gave the burgulars a good hiding and are now doing 6 months in prison while the criminals are still free. I know what I said could be regarded as a protection racket. But if he became one of us? Not Jack Higgins DMS logical thinking. Honestly not fiction folks. You have to have a solution. Keep building up and having it knocked down, good money after bad. I know it is distasteful I am not saying it is ideal. Just a way I have seen and used in the past. It only cost me five bob and I had no more trouble. Ok you may say rubbish and fiction but answers were asked for and I am presenting one. Bad times call for bad solutions.

#25 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (Bob Fowler @ Dec 18 2009, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't that rewarding a villian or creating a protection racket ? Like you Colin I would have hoped that civic pride would come to the fore, but in today's World where children are breeding children where parents seem to encourage lack of respect to others then only a correct punishment is merited, I'm not speaking about an ASBO or community service, but a Boot camp for offenders, if parents won't teach them then society MUST. Like you Colin a different approach, but like you I've experienced being brought up in a strict but loving family, perhaps that's what's wrong with society today, I don't know!

Agreed Bob, but you have to catch them first and then there is no Boot Camp to send them to. Solutions were asked for and though I am not in favour of this sort of method it does work. You only need one of them on your side who has some authority. You dont have to like it. But it has a dual effect. You will know who the baddies are and where to go to stop it. If anybody has a better idea, not theoretical, then lets hear it. It has been said the police have better things to do, a perpetual patrol is out of the question, alarm systems cost money and may not deter, we build the premises up to have them vandalised again- Jack Higgins and Sopranos? No a practical solution. I do sing a bit but I was brought up in Featherstone Square. I am not a softie. Get one of them on our side and your troubles are over.

#26 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (jamescolin @ Dec 18 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed Bob, but you have to catch them first and then there is no Boot Camp to send them to. Solutions were asked for and though I am not in favour of this sort of method it does work. You only need one of them on your side who has some authority. You dont have to like it. But it has a dual effect. You will know who the baddies are and where to go to stop it. If anybody has a better idea, not theoretical, then lets hear it. It has been said the police have better things to do, a perpetual patrol is out of the question, alarm systems cost money and may not deter, we build the premises up to have them vandalised again- Jack Higgins and Sopranos? No a practical solution. I do sing a bit but I was brought up in Featherstone Square. I am not a softie. Get one of them on our side and your troubles are over.

Final word from me on this. It isn't really a protection racket. You find the bloke and give a a bob or two for the thing to stop. You then encourage him to come over to your side. If he doesn't and comes back for more you refuse. If he says that things will return to what they were you tell him that if they do then the police will be visiting him as you have the evidence of his past misdemeanors (i.e. taking a bribe) and he therefore is a prime suspect. I have put this forward as a solution take it or leave it as you wish. Good Luck.

#27 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

we never had this problem when we had the A team.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#28 Bob Fowler

Bob Fowler

The Future Is Bright

• Coach
  • 7,738 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

We still have Mr. T on this forum I know he's good because he helped save my life ( for real)

QUOTE (oldrover @ Dec 18 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we never had this problem when we had the A team.

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

#29 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Bob Fowler @ Dec 19 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We still have Mr. T on this forum I know he's good because he helped save my life ( for real)

I hope you invited Mr T to dinner Bob. Keep going mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users