Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

French players to become Fed trained

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 DemonUK

DemonUK
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

At least 8 home grown players.

No more than 5 quota players.

No more than 5 overseas trained players inc quota players.

Rest of squad to be from players trained within same federation.

KEY
Home grown players - any player still under 21 and/or has completed 3 years service with the same clubs academy set up.

Same federation - any player still under 21 and/or has completed 3 years service with other clubs academy set ups within UK (for UK SL clubs) or France (for Catalans etc)

Overseas quota players - as per current rules i.e. Anyone unable to prove origins within EU or Kolpak countries.

Overseas trained - any other overseas player (EU passport or Kolpak etc.)

OK not sure I understand the federation trained thing properly, because what I read above is UK and France federations are seperate entities. Can someone explain please.

Sorry folks, no forecast comp this year

#22 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (winnyason @ Aug 4 2010, 04:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bowes get a grip loser, ###### any oppotunity to put the boot into toulouse by hay let's have a farce of a team called the crusaders full of aussies playing in front of 2 thousand odd people and that is ok.
The rfl league in there latest licening wording stated" any international team could be invited for superleague licence so if they meet the requirements they are in with a shot.
They are getting there stadium build in all possibility, there biggest problem is catalans had a injury crisis and players such a stacul, bentley, simon, touxagas have had no chance to help toulouse while other side in the top are helped by duel rego with english clubs.
Toulouse have there hands serverly tied the salary cap is a joke, they cannot compete with the likes of asc, fcl or limoux in money so they are up against it.

FFS get a grip on reality.

Toulouse were 7th before they joined the Championship so couldn't compete with Lezignan there. Any idea of Toulouse in SL from 2012 is a joke, pure and simple, whether Crusaders is okay we'll see, I'm not so positive about it as I was a month or two ago.

Toulouse WILL NOT be in SL in 2012, just accept it. It's only Australians proposing this from the other side of the world, all our resident expansionists (except the nutter Paris) have accepted it

Edited by bowes, 04 August 2010 - 12:03 PM.

#23 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:24 AM

idiot the playing field is not level the championship salary cap is hurting them you know it ######wit, why i am ###### at the crusaders cause that ######wit who owned them highjacked toulouse for superleague, the crusaders are a ######ing joke, toulouse would average at least 7 thousand test match figures.
They are 7th because the team they have is no where like the side for superleague, i might be from australia but at least we support developing new zealanders ###### you guys would recruit an fijian ahead of a frenchman maybe you just downright hate the french.

#24 GazCoops

GazCoops
  • Coach
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (DemonUK @ Aug 4 2010, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK not sure I understand the federation trained thing properly, because what I read above is UK and France federations are seperate entities. Can someone explain please.

You read the rules correctly both English and French trained players are separate enteries but the league have decided from next season, they will both be classed as fed trained regardless of been trained in France or England. That why this thread was started in the first place, the recent change in the rules.

As for Toulouse not been able to apply for a franchise spot, they can due to the league saying that any overseas club is welcome to apply for a licence regardless of them appearing in a final.

Posted Image

#25 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (winnyason @ Aug 5 2010, 04:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
idiot the playing field is not level the championship salary cap is hurting them you know it ######wit, why i am ###### at the crusaders cause that ######wit who owned them highjacked toulouse for superleague, the crusaders are a ######ing joke, toulouse would average at least 7 thousand test match figures.
They are 7th because the team they have is no where like the side for superleague, i might be from australia but at least we support developing new zealanders ###### you guys would recruit an fijian ahead of a frenchman maybe you just downright hate the french.

Toulouse were 7th in the French Elite before entering the Championship. The salary cap is fair as it applies to everyone not just Toulouse, though I'd instead have Toulouse in the French Elite on condition they can only apply for SL on making a French Elite final (they'd still struggle but would make more sense) and meeting the other criteria there. You can't just chuck them in for being French and watch them collapse due to getting smashed every week. Toulouse had their chance to get in, if they'd have finished in the top couple of the French Elite in 2007-08 rather than 7th I suspect they'd be in by now.

Making excuses for them being French won't pay the bills or run a SL club so is pointless

No white French people want to live in the UK, unlike New Zealanders in Australia so don't see how we can help that, they wouldn't play for us if we wanted them. Also there's a lot stronger rugby league in New Zealand than France and you still only have one NRL club there

Edited by bowes, 05 August 2010 - 11:22 AM.

#26 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,960 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (GazCoops @ Aug 5 2010, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for Toulouse not been able to apply for a franchise spot, they can due to the league saying that any overseas club is welcome to apply for a licence regardless of them appearing in a final.

Apparently those rules date to before the RFL confirming that they would have to make a final, but who knows? Think they're more there for a potential big money Stade Francais bid, but who knows?

Also the RFL set the requirement of clubs making an average crowd of 2500 either 2009 or 2010, Toulouse got about 2300 last year and are much lower this year so they can't

#27 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

A few weeks ago there was a 'this is so obvious I can't believe it hasn't been done yet' moment, however I can't remember what it was, maybe a Heritage round...

Anyhoo, this is another one of those situations. We're a European Super League, yet Europeans can't play where they like without restrictions? Tis daft.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#28 TheObserver

TheObserver
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:57 AM

The Club/Fed/Overseas Trained rule (8/12/5) seems excessively restrictive to me. If this system were applied to the NRL, a number of clubs would fail it. Considering the overseas player limit, both Melbourne Storm and the Warriors have >5. The Warriors contained 11 overseas trained players at beginning of the season (10 Australians before Wade McKinnon transferred mid-season, Ukuma Ta'ai is a Tongan Rugby Union junior and RU international that moved to Auckland for university). Interestingly, the Roosters and Storm both have around 18 overseas players in their ranks (NRL/NSW Cup/NYC).

I'd also say that a host of NRL clubs' top 25 squads would not fulfil the Club Trained player rule - i.e. would have less than 8 players in the elite squad that came through the academy, or spent 3 years in those ranks.

The whole rationale behind the Overseas Trained rule is questionable. Contrary to popular belief, there appear to be significantly more overseas trained players in elite Australian clubs (NRL, NSW/QLD Cups, NYC Under 20s) than there are in elite English clubs (SL, Championships).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users