Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wakey for sale? Big Rumour today at the match

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,053 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (l'angelo mysterioso @ Sep 7 2010, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
valid
but what would any investor want back for their investment? Aren't all 'investors in fact benefactors? until they call their loans in of course.

Sort of, but comparisons keep being made with soccer, which is invalid and simply confuses the issue regarding RL sugar daddies. Investors in soccer do stand a chance of making significant returns - those in RL don't.

So they need to find someone who is loaded, loves RL and has a deep and committed attachment to Wakefield. I don't believe the list of names that meet these criteria is a long one, that's all; in fact I doubt that it exists at all.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#22 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

It's not looking good for Wakefield.

1. HMRC situation last year showed they were cutting it close to still be going at the start of this year
2. The Quins being secured by the RFL till 2014 means they are no longer an option to be dropped
3. A NL1 side has been gauranteed a promotion spot
4. Salford whilst no great shakes in terms of fans are building a ground, not making proposals and can argue that they are outside cachment areas of other clubs.
5. Cas have consistenty higher attendances than wakefield over the years of SL.
6. Chairmans source of money ie his own company seams to have dried up.

I hate to see SL clubs in bother, but with the Quins backed by the RFL till 2014, and Salford building it's looking like Cas and Wakey are the 2 teams left for the drop. You take your pick but for me there is less going in Wakey's favour than Cas. I think if Salford don't increase their crowds with the move, they would be in trouble, but I can see the RFL giving them another 3 years to prove themselves once the move has happened.

I just can't see Wakey surviviing the drop like Salford and Cas did. Both Salford and Cas where able to fund their way out of the NL1. I don't think with Wakey the support would hold up like it did at Cas and it looks like the board have run out of cash.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#23 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (bewareshadows @ Sep 7 2010, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just can't see Wakey surviviing the drop like Salford and Cas did. Both Salford and Cas where able to fund their way out of the NL1. I don't think with Wakey the support would hold up like it did at Cas and it looks like the board have run out of cash.

When Cas and Salford went down the chance of an immeadiate return was still there.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#24 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:56 PM

i think there are problems behind the scenes at Wakey. John Kear wanted to leave to take over at the Catalans and now his name is being mentioned with vacant job at Quins RL. what does Kear know that we don't, is there a fear at Wakey that they will not get a Super League licence for the 2012 season?

#25 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (Jill Halfpenny fan @ Sep 7 2010, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When Cas and Salford went down the chance of an immeadiate return was still there.

Very true, I missed that off my list of woe.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

#26 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (The Future is League @ Sep 7 2010, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think there are problems behind the scenes at Wakey. John Kear wanted to leave to take over at the Catalans and now his name is being mentioned with vacant job at Quins RL. what does Kear know that we don't, is there a fear at Wakey that they will not get a Super League licence for the 2012 season?

What surprised me on Sunday was that JK stormed over to the Fans giving them a `thankful` round of applause - I just wondered whether it was a `Good Bye` situation.

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,163 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Segovia Carpet @ Sep 7 2010, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What surprised me on Sunday was that JK stormed over to the Fans giving them a `thankful` round of applause - I just wondered whether it was a `Good Bye` situation.

Wouldn't that be standard for the last game of the season?

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,251 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (Blind side johnny @ Sep 7 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sort of, but comparisons keep being made with soccer, which is invalid and simply confuses the issue regarding RL sugar daddies. Investors in soccer do stand a chance of making significant returns - those in RL don't.

So they need to find someone who is loaded, loves RL and has a deep and committed attachment to Wakefield. I don't believe the list of names that meet these criteria is a long one, that's all; in fact I doubt that it exists at all.

yes
the habit that many people have of correlating rugby league with soccer when discussing the issues that Rugby League gaces is ridiculous
It's probably a list of two, lucky warrington and huddersfield
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#29 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (l'angelo mysterioso @ Sep 7 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes
the habit that many people have of correlating rugby league with soccer when discussing the issues that Rugby League gaces is ridiculous
It's probably a list of two, lucky warrington and huddersfield

I wonder if Kear knew of the winding up order for wakey that's on another thread.

There is another item to add to my list of woe for wakey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users