CASTLEFORD TIGERS have confirmed the departure of coach Ryan Carr after more than two weeks away from the club.
The Australian only joined ahead of this season, but leaves Castleford searching for their seventh permanent coach in five years.
Reports suggested Carr had been stood down pending an investigation, although the Tigers said the ex-Featherstone Rovers boss was away for “personal reasons”.
That same reason was also given in the three-sentence statement confirming his exit, the latest in a string of unsuccessful appointments since Daryl Powell left at the end of 2021, following Lee Radford, Andy Last, Danny Ward, Craig Lingard and Danny McGuire.
The Tigers will continue to be led by a team including director of rugby Chris Chester, new assistant Luke Robinson and fellow coaches Scott Murrell and Rob Nickolay.
Jason Netherton, the former Hull KR player and academy head coach, has also come on board as what Castleford term a ‘coaching consultant’.
Tigers owner Martin Jepson said: “I understand that it has been a frustrating few weeks for our fans. The board of directors and myself share those frustrations.
“I am sorry that Ryan Carr has left the club, but I wish him and his family well for their future.
“We have had a difficult set of circumstances to deal with and unfortunately not been in a position to provide more information to the fans.
“However, our actions have been, and always will be, in the best interests of the club.
“It has been frustrating to listen to media hysteria without being able to comment, but we have had to do the right thing by the club.
“Unfortunately, in all walks of life there are unforeseen events, but we have some experienced people working alongside me and helping steer the club. Their support over the last few weeks has been invaluable.”
Carr leaves Castleford with a record of just eight wins in 23 matches across all competitions.
While they recorded famous victories against Wigan Warriors, St Helens and Leeds Rhinos, they also conceded 48 points or more on six occasions, including his final two matches at the helm against Wakefield Trinity (52-14) and Warrington Wolves (48-18).
He was then not present for their 44-0 home defeat to Hull KR nor last Friday’s 18-14 victory at Hull FC, with a trip to St Helens next up on Saturday.
Castleford have also been hamstrung in recent weeks by their chief executive, Danny Wilson, being in hospital, but Jepson said: “He is making good progress and is in good spirits.
The owner also sought to clarify the future of St George Illawarra Dragons trio Tyrell Sloan, Damien Cook and Mat Feagai, after it was reported that they were reconsidering their moves to Castleford from next season.
“Chris Chester and myself had a good call with them yesterday and all of them are finalising their moves and looking forward to joining the club,” said Jepson, who will be holding a fans forum at the OneBore Stadium on Thursday, August 27.