Thornton Knows His Side Will Improve

Dons News

<p>Doncaster Rugby League head coach Gary Thornton spoke to the official website following Sunday’s defeat at Rochdale Hornets.</p>

<p>The Dons were unable to dent the Hornets’ unbeaten run at home in the league, despite leading 8-6 at the break.</p>

<p>Thornton was pleased with the effort of his side, but disappointed they were not able to kick on in the second period.</p>

<p>He said: “The conditions made things difficult, it wasn’t a classic and there were a lot of errors.</p>

<p>“It was a bit scrappy and neither team could get into their rhythm, we didn’t have many chances and neither did they.</p>

<p>“I thought we did really well in the first half, we probably started a little bit slow, but we eventually got into the game.</p>

<p>“I was disappointed with our game management in the second half, I thought we made some poor decisions at times and bombed a couple of chances which really let Rochdale off the hook.</p>

<p>“We were forced into making some changes, we missed Kyle Kesik, Jordan Howden and Tom Carr, but that said I can’t fault the effort, I thought we tried really hard.</p>

<p>“I thought defensively we were pretty tough, it was just disappointing to take the wrong options on Rochdale’s line.</p>

<p>“The most disappointing aspect is that we didn’t score in the second half and fair play to Rochdale, that was the biggest disappointment of the game for me.</p>

<p>“We bombed three really good chances and didn’t manage the game well at all in the second half.</p>

<p>“We tried hard, but I just don’t think the quality or decision making was there in the second half from us.</p>

<p>Danny Yates’ try just before the hour mark sealed the win for the hosts.  That effort was a controversial one however, with Yates looking to have started his run from an offside position to collect Lewis Galbraith’s kick.</p>

<p>Following the match Thornton was aggrieved by the decision to award the try</p>

<p>“It looked offside from where I was sat, I was sat right level with it,” said Thornton.</p>

<p>“He looked a good yard in front of the kicker, I thought the touch judges let the referee down there because it should have been called.</p>

<p>“However if it goes against you, it goes against you, as the season comes round these thing balance out normally.</p>

<p>“It probably was the turning point in the game, the try stood and we have to live with that.</p>

<p>“We have a lot of improvement in us though and I think that is the key and we have to go back to Rochdale.</p>

<p>“We have Tom Carr, Kyle Kesik, Matt Nicholson and Jordan Howden to come back to name a few, we still have some key players to come back into our side.</p>

<p>“Rochdale were pretty much at full strength on Sunday, so I’m not sure how much improvement Rochdale have got, but we certainly do.</p>

<p>The Dons head coach also revealed he is pleased with the Super 8s fixtures the Dons will face over the coming weeks.</p>

<p>“I’m very happy, we don’t have too far to travel on our away trips with us going to York, Hunslet and Rochdale which is good.</p>

<p>“I think we can have a big say on what happens in these Super 8s, it is really important that we win our home games and we have to set that marker down now.</p>

<p>“We have to make sure nobody comes to the Keepmoat Stadium and takes any points from us, that is going to be key.</p>

<p>“We are only one point behind York now for third spot and that is the key to finish in the top three to get home advantage in the playoffs.</p>

<p>“That is what we will be trying to do, if we win our home games and win some away, we will have a fair chance of doing that.”</p>

<p>Dates for the fixtures will be announced on Wednesday at 8am on <a href="http://www.doncasterugbyleague.co.uk%20%20%20"target="_blank">www.doncasterugbyleague.co.uk</a></p>

<p> </p>

View the full article

Archived