Thornton Expecting Tough Match

Dons News

Doncaster Rugby League head coach Gary Thornton spoke to the official website ahead of Sunday's clash with Keighley Cougars.

The Dons are looking to go four points clear of sixth placed Keighley, to all but secure a play-off place.

Thornton is not expecting victory to be an easy feat though.

He said: "I think anybody in this Super 8s series is going to be tough opposition, that is why they are here, because they have earned the right." said Thornton.

"There is quite a lot riding on this game, I think if we win this one, we pretty much guarantee a place in the play-offs, which is our objective.

"A win is massive for us and if we manage to get it, it will put a bit of breathing space  between us and the teams below us.

"We had a a very good result against them back in March, Cougar Park is a tough place to go, but we played really well that day and really deserved the win.

"There has been a lot of water under the bridge since then though and we have had a lot of highs and lows.

"We just want to continue going as we are, I don't think we are playing too badly at the minute, we played really well against Hunslet and did some really good stuff against Toulouse, so I think it is just a case of keeping the momentum going at the minute.

"We just need to cut out the errors and try to capitalise on the chances we create a bit more.

"It is massive for us to have Jordie Hedges and Jordan Howden available with them being our first choice pivots.

"It is great to get them back together, I think we have really missed the pivotal positions this year when they have not played.

"Just before Jordan missed out and Jordie picked up his suspension they were showing some really good signs of being a really good partnership, so hopefully they can carry on from where they left off." 

The injury situation continues to get worse for the Dons however, with Liam Welham the latest to be struck down.

"I'm like a broken record now, the injuries we seem to get are never just minor one week or two week jobs," said Thornton.

"Liam Welham is probably going to be out for the rest of the season, every injury we get, the length of recovery times seems to be six, seven or eight weeks out.

"It has just been the story of the season, it is getting a bit boring repeating myself every week, unfortunately we have had the curse of the injuries this year and they all seem to be major ones.

"Iafeta Paleaaesina came through fine which is good news, Makali Aizue is patching up week by week, other than that, touch wood there are no new worries.

"We should have Mason Tonks back this week, whilst we may get some back over the next couple of weeks, we can't afford to lose any more because we are down to the bare bones now."

The Dons head coach was also full of praise for Paleaaesina after he made a return to action for Doncaster last week.

He added: "I think having Paleaaesina is huge for us, his contribution on Sunday showed how valuable he is to us.

"We certainly miss him when he is not here, he is great to have around the place, the boys really look up to him because of his experience and what he has done in the game.

"When he puts a Doncaster shirt on he is a Dons player, he puts his heart and soul into everything he does on and off the field.

"He is a great asset for us, we thank Hull FC for letting him play enough games on dual registration in the regular season to play in the Super 8s."

Tickets for Sunday's clash with Keighley Cougars can be purchased by CLICKING HERE.

View the full article

Archived