PREVIEW | Howden keen for Cougars clash

Dons News

Jordan Howden can’t wait for the competitive action to start as the Dons get set to take on Keighley in the iPro Cup.

The Dons won two out of three games in pre-season with the stand-off playing in all of the matches, after not playing throughout the off season last year.

The former Castleford man is set for his second season with the club, and, after struggling with a hip problem in 2016, says he is just happy to be able to prepare properly this time around.

“Pre-season has gone well for me, it was nice to get through it as I didn’t really have one last year. I’ve sat out the odd session here and there but generally I’ve taken part in much more than last year,” he said.

“We’re taking the injury on a week by week basis. It’s a case of getting through it as much as I can throughout this season and then get it sorted and hopefully come back fit next season.

“I just want to stay fit and play as many games as I can to prove myself for next year. With the operation in October I need to prove what I can do this year and earn a contract for next year.”

The 20-year-old is keen for the Dons to be strong domestically in all three competitions, and he says a win at Cougar Park would be the ideal start in a tough battle.

“They won the competition last year so we’re expecting a big challenge from them. It will be a fight between the middles as the pitch isn’t the best,” he added.

“We want to progress as far as we can in every competition this year, Keighley is the next game for us and we take it week by week.

“We’re going to have to learn to adapt to different opposition, and it’s at their place so we’ll go there with a game plan and try and get the job done.”

View the full article

Archived