Lam: We were outstanding

Warriors News

• Adrian Lam reacts to Wigan’s comprehensive victory over Salford.
  • Lam: “It was the performance we needed and probably our first 80 minute performance of the year.”
  • FT | Wigan Warriors 58-12 Salford Red Devils.

Adrian Lam lauded the complete performance of his side following Wigan’s 58-12 victory over Salford on Friday evening.

The Warriors marked their biggest win of the season, tallying 9 tries that included a Bevan French hat-trick and braces for Oliver Gildart, Sam Powell and Liam Farrell.

Reacting to the victory in his post-match press conference via Zoom Link, the Wigan Head Coach praised the well-rounded efforts of his players.

sw30_Leeds-v-Wigan-1024x687.jpgLam in the stands watching his side’s victory at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

“Tonight I thought we were outstanding. I’m really pleased for the players, the fans and the Club.

It was the performance we needed and probably our first 80 minute performance of the year.”

After missing out on any action last week due to the fixture postponement with Catalans, the Papua New Guinean stressed how much the week off presented a challenge to his squad.

“We had a really good win at Warrington but then obviously had the week off. Sometimes in those situations you can find yourselves unsure of the next performance. 

“We spoke about that and worked on our mindset, because that’s what let us down in the Challenge Cup.”

OH MY DAYS!!! BEVAN FRENCH 🤯🔥 How many steps?!

Unbelievable from the @WiganWarriorsRL back live on @SkySportsRL Arena #SuperLeague #SLWigSal pic.twitter.com/SQ6Ovmb811

— Betfred Super League (@SuperLeague) October 23, 2020

Arguably the star of the show on the night was full-back Bevan French, who grabbed three eye-catching tries.

On the Australian’s performance: “He’s been unbelievable for us, and I think he’ll get better. 

“If we can keep him here next year then he will certainly go again I feel. He’s improved himself as a player and we are doing our best to keep him.” 

“It’s well-known he’ll be getting a few bites from the NRL and just rest assured that we’ve left no stone unturned.”  

45849698-90d7-4318-a928-58d5f4b3866b-102Prop Tony Clubb returned from injury, having not played since March, to mark his 150th appearance for Wigan.

However the Head Coach also made clear that it wasn’t just a one-man show, praising a number of other performances on the night.

“We started great, our attitude was great and our forward pack were bang on and created a platform for us to perform like that.”

Lam pinpointed the need for squad rotation and explained the omission of young half-back Harry Smith.

“This week we’ve been fortunate enough to have plenty of players available. Harry Smith obviously missed out as a result, and we’ve not forgotten about that. 

“But tonight was about giving an opportunity for some of those who haven’t played that much this year, because we need a balance in our squad so we can rely on players when it matters.”

Adrian-Lam-1024x256.png

The post Lam: We were outstanding appeared first on Wigan Warriors Blog.

View the full article

Archived