2024 Pacific Championships

Not sure how I feel about this. I'm desperate for credible international competition, and it's beginning to feel more and more that the only way this will happen will be under NRL rule. If that's the case, could that be worse than what we've had?

Could a 4N become 6N? 

The only issue would be home competitions. They're never going to come over here for this kind of competition.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, jim_57 said:

Looking at the possibilities here, how would France touring and playing in the Pacific Bowl next year work if they need to qualify for the ‘World Series’ in ‘25?

Only way I can see it working is if Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, Serbia & Ukraine play a tournament while France play in the Pacific Bowl. Then France plays the winner either after that or mid-season next year which isn’t ideal.

Unless they change the World Series to have 5-6 teams instead and have more than one European entrant but I can’t see that happening as I suspect they’ll want it done as quick and easy as possible.

It is a nice thought but I’d say France will end up staying and they’ll run the Euro Cup that was cancelled this year.

I don't think a scenario where France is given an advantage over their European rivals is going to happen.

As you acknowledge, the likelihood is that they do the Euro Cup, which was meant to run this year, in 2024. With the winner going to World Series. 

What happens to the non-qualifying nations in 2025 and 2026 is key.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Not sure how I feel about this. I'm desperate for credible international competition, and it's beginning to feel more and more that the only way this will happen will be under NRL rule. If that's the case, could that be worse than what we've had?

Could a 4N become 6N? 

The only issue would be home competitions. They're never going to come over here for this kind of competition.

The IRL, as long as they have NRL support - which they now do as Abdo & PVL are on the IRL board - should be able to do a good job going forward, as they have more teeth.

The future is regional it seems. The NRL and the Australian government are bank rolling the Pacific Championships and using it as a regional diplomatic exercise. And as there is an odd number of Pacific nations, that works to give England an opponent every year. 

The calendar until 2030, released in August, does allow tours and series with meaning, as well as World Cups and regional & development tournaments. This should be a good basis for building not only at the top but all the way down. We just need the next stage of detail to come out. 

It means France have to prove themselves to get put at the top-table, rather than have that gifted to them and just being below par. That isn't a bad thing.

This does expose Wales, Scotland and Ireland, with fewer RLWC opportunities and therefore reduced attraction for heritage players. So there is a debate about their future. 

• Like 1