RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

- - - - -

O/T - Away Ales

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hillsborough Lad_*

Guest_Hillsborough Lad_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:40 AM

Eagletarian, is there anything I should keep my eye out for whilst north of the border? And is it true that Basil will have to drink Irn-Bru all day, rather than his beloved Pepsi?!

#2 brummie-eagle

brummie-eagle
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Hillsborough Lad @ Feb 10 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eagletarian, is there anything I should keep my eye out for whilst north of the border? And is it true that Basil will have to drink Irn-Bru all day, rather than his beloved Pepsi?!

Its Irn-Bru all the way! You off to Murrayfield Magic?
why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

#3 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

Aye, see you ya drunken sassanach that yes are!!
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#4 Guest_Hillsborough Lad_*

Guest_Hillsborough Lad_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

biggrin.gif

Nah, a few of us are off to watch Hearts V Falkirk on Saturday, one of my mates is always banging on about Hearts so we've got cheapo train tickets and a day out north of the border is planned

Might be back up there in a few weeks if Edinburgh Eagles win on sunday!!

#5 brummie-eagle

brummie-eagle
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

Had a good weekend away there last year, lots of great pubs down in the Grassmarket area
why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

#6 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (Hillsborough Lad @ Feb 10 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never been a big fan of Scottish beer, my favourite are Caledonian's 70,80 & 90 shilling followed by Deuchars IPA.....Try some of their Malt Whisky, if you see Old Pulteney, that goes down a real treat, its distilled in the distillery which is the most northerly, it is very very smooth.

Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#7 aquilla

aquilla
  • Coach
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

There are lots of pubs in Edinburgh to suit all tastes really.

If you are going to the Magic though there aren't many between the Haymarket station and the ground itself but many of the small hotels open their bars and some even have tents in the car park but you may only get Carling.

There is a pub that's quite a traditional one called the Abbotsford on Rose Street near to the main railway station. It serves beer from small breweries but the pumps seem to be gas rather than hand pulled. Saying that it all tasted good to me and they changed as the barrels ran out. They also had some continental beers but not sure about ciders.

It's not what you'd called a "lively" pub but gets busy with people who just want to drink and chat. You usually get quite a few RL fans in when it's the magic and before then the Cup Final.

There is a massive Weatherspoons called the Standing Order which is fairly central and very popular.

Many fans seemed to head for Rose Street, some let you in with colours on others don't. Some have bouncers, again others don't. Cowgate seemed to be busier with the younger end.

But like any city many places to suit almost everyone.

Would be a good place to go if they got a NL team, providing of course they started off at the bottom and worked their way up, and assuming we aren't in SL by then smile.gif
There are two rules for success:
1.) Don't tell all you know.

#8 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

The essential phrase is "A pint of heavy please" !! biggrin.gif

Caledonian's 70,80 & 90 shilling .... and all McEwans are good ales and the Deuchars IPA (a good old fashioned Pale Ale), which you can get "down south" of the border, tastes far nicer "up there"

It is worth sampling "Ben Nevis 10 year Single Malt" and its not too sharp on the palete.

#9 Guest_Hillsborough Lad_*

Guest_Hillsborough Lad_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:08 PM

I shall report back what I remember on Monday! Cheers for the info everyone cool.gif

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,363 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

Hold on for the Reserves fixtures.

We might be at Whitehaven on the Saturday.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users