Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Melbourne's second tier talent is now available for Super League

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 897 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy B @ Jul 14 2010, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So can you tell me what the present quota of imports is - and what is the programme set down for reducing it ?

its reducing by one next year from this years 6 to 5. and thats where the reduction stops for next few years. There'll be a further reduction as the kolpak players reclassified as fed trained ( which are boosting a fair few clubs over this years quota off 6) gradually retire as the exemption they are using isnt available to players coming to SL from 2008 onwards.

#42 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,934 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy B @ Jul 14 2010, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
4) Yes in this modern age Junior clubs do nurture the yougsters from a very early age with a disgusting amount of recompense, but in the days of not so long ago such junior set ups did not exist on the scale they do now. For instance in my area and in my teenage years any one who had ambitions of playing RL at a professional level went training initially with the under 17's - progressing to under 19's. My club signed many players from this age group not amatuer RL. So in those days you could say it was the schools who first developed the young Rugby players with no recompense at all.

At Parkside the local Hunslet School RL fed the best into the U17 juniors who then became the U19 intermediates and on to the "A" team and senior side!!! I remember those days Jim.

Up north Leeds loads of schools did not play RL!! Every time I hear schools in non RL areas taking the game up it reet gladdens mi heart...........

#43 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Jimmy B @ Jul 14 2010, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) No and neither can anyone else - the cynic in me says it was just BS to get P7R scrapped and will be forgotten.

3) Lets not put a ploy on words - of course players can sign for anyone they want, but if they are lured from club A to club B with the promise of a pay day that club A cannot match, then club B has, O.K, "taken" them away from club B. I have never blamed a player for following the bigger money - far from it, but I was merely pointing out that it has happened forever in my time of watching RL.

4) Yes in this modern age Junior clubs do nurture the yougsters from a very early age with a disgusting amount of recompense, but in the days of not so long ago such junior set ups did not exist on the scale they do now. For instance in my area and in my teenage years any one who had ambitions of playing RL at a professional level went training initially with the under 17's - progressing to under 19's. My club signed many players from this age group not amatuer RL. So in those days you could say it was the schools who first developed the young Rugby players with no recompense at all.

1.. its not BS its just that we havent got th info on the top of our heads becuase its not that important a peice of knowledge for our day to day lives.. there are many rules and regulations of the sweet manufacturing industry i could quote you as i need to but sadly RL laws on quotas i dont know.. i just know the basic idea that it is reducing..

#44 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

a quick google while i have 2 minutes came up with this

Dave Hadfields column in 2007.. says about the reduction over the years

an explanation on the wigan fas forum showing that the "non federation trained" alowance is being reduced towards 2011

not a big fan of wikipedia for facts but it says it here too about the reductions

Rugby League forums has it too.. i think lifted from wiki though

relague.com article about Bradford and Simon Finnegan,. reading through it it explains about dwain chabers would need to be top 8 non federation trained this year but next yar would need to be top 6 as they reduce the number of non federation trained players you can have

seriously a very quick google shows it isnt BS it is happening.. as much as we talk ruibbish on here sometimes we do know what we are talking about a lot of the time (more than hapy to admit when we are wrong aswell fr the most part or when unsure) but just dont hold all the exact facts at the forefront of our brain becuas ethere are more important things there..

(you could have googled this yourself to be fair to try and prove it is BS rather than just saying "it bs becuase you dont know the exact details"!)

#45 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (RP London @ Jul 15 2010, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a quick google while i have 2 minutes came up with this

Dave Hadfields column in 2007.. says about the reduction over the years

an explanation on the wigan fas forum showing that the "non federation trained" alowance is being reduced towards 2011

not a big fan of wikipedia for facts but it says it here too about the reductions

Rugby League forums has it too.. i think lifted from wiki though

relague.com article about Bradford and Simon Finnegan,. reading through it it explains about dwain chabers would need to be top 8 non federation trained this year but next yar would need to be top 6 as they reduce the number of non federation trained players you can have

seriously a very quick google shows it isnt BS it is happening.. as much as we talk ruibbish on here sometimes we do know what we are talking about a lot of the time (more than hapy to admit when we are wrong aswell fr the most part or when unsure) but just dont hold all the exact facts at the forefront of our brain becuas ethere are more important things there..

(you could have googled this yourself to be fair to try and prove it is BS rather than just saying "it bs becuase you dont know the exact details"!)

Have another read at my original post.
My original post ASKED if it was BS ! I did not say it was BS because I don't know the exact details.
Please don't mis quote me.

Edited by Jimmy B, 15 July 2010 - 11:32 AM.

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

#46 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy B @ Jul 15 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have another read at my original post.
My original post ASKED if it was BS ! I did not say it was BS because I don't know the exact details.
Please don't mis quote me.

i paraphrased, apologies

exact quote "No and neither can anyone else - the cynic in me says it was just BS to get P7R scrapped and will be forgotten." just becuase we couldnt put the exact figures down you decided or sorry "the cynic in" you decided it was BS to keep with your agenda of franchising not working..

all you had to do was do a little tiny bit of research yourself to silence the critic... touch too easy though.. best just to jump to conclusions.

Edited by RP London, 15 July 2010 - 12:32 PM.

#47 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (RP London @ Jul 15 2010, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i paraphrased, apologies

exact quote "No and neither can anyone else - the cynic in me says it was just BS to get P7R scrapped and will be forgotten." just becuase we couldnt put the exact figures down you decided or sorry "the cynic in" you decided it was BS to keep with your agenda of franchising not working..

all you had to do was do a little tiny bit of research yourself to silence the critic... touch too easy though.. best just to jump to conclusions.

Who says I have got an agenda of Franchising not working ? Please don't make assumptions.
Rather than do a "tiny bit of research" myself I preferred to ask on this thread - anything wrong with that ?

#48 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy B @ Jul 15 2010, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who says I have got an agenda of Franchising not working ? Please don't make assumptions.
Rather than do a "tiny bit of research" myself I preferred to ask on this thread - anything wrong with that ?

yes its lazy..

you asked about 3 of us if we knew.. we all said it was but we couldnt remember which.. so becuase we couldnt remember you said.. "the cynic in me says it was just BS to get P7R scrapped and will be forgotten" rather than seeing if you could find out for yourself.. that is laziness but "the cycnic in" you outweighed the logic of double checking before jumping to a conclusion just becuase some people couldnt remember the exact details.

Do you think franchising is working?

(aplogies i know this is a tad off topic)

#49 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (RP London @ Jul 15 2010, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes its lazy..

you asked about 3 of us if we knew.. we all said it was but we couldnt remember which.. so becuase we couldnt remember you said.. "the cynic in me says it was just BS to get P7R scrapped and will be forgotten" rather than seeing if you could find out for yourself.. that is laziness but "the cycnic in" you outweighed the logic of double checking before jumping to a conclusion just becuase some people couldnt remember the exact details.

Do you think franchising is working?

(aplogies i know this is a tad off topic)

Look mate I would have thought someone on this forum would have known - nothing to do with lazyness. If it upsets you that I ask a question on here (it is a fans forum after all) don't respond. What I choose to conclude is my prerogative.

You tell me weather it is working you seem to be well informed.

#50 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy B @ Jul 15 2010, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look mate I would have thought someone on this forum would have known - nothing to do with lazyness. If it upsets you that I ask a question on here (it is a fans forum after all) don't respond. What I choose to conclude is my prerogative.

You tell me weather it is working you seem to be well informed.

it is your perogative but you were wrong because although we all said we couldnt remember the exact details but that it was happening, you disbelieved this even though we answered your question you then didnt believe us.. why ask the question if your going ignore the answer? you either need to believe people or if you do not then research to prove them wrong.

i have answered you each time you have asked a question (including the below.. ) so it quite obviously doesnt "upset" me that is quite rediculous.. what annoys me is that you disbelieve the answer given to you, a which point why ask even though the same answer comes from different people.

i shall answer your straight forward question

yes i do

i have answered the questions you have asked of me.. i even googled to help you even though i knew in my own mind it was not BS.. please do me the courtesy of answering my question.. Do you think it is working?

Edited by RP London, 15 July 2010 - 02:52 PM.

#51 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (RP London @ Jul 15 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we all said we couldnt remember the exact details but that it was happening. you disbelieved this even though we answered your question you then didnt believe us.. why ask the question if your going ignore the answer?

i shall answer your straight forward question

yes i do

i have answered the questions you have asked of me.. i even googled to help you even though i knew in my own mind it was not BS.. please do me the courtesy of answering my question.. Do you think it is working?

"We all said" ? Just how many of you responded ? And having seen what is suppossed to be happening it gives me no confidence that our international side is going to benefit by the reported reductions.
Lets just get the Melbourne Storm players into our game and have done with it.

I will answer you in two years time. It is far too early to say weather it is or it isn't.
On what grounds - not whats projected - do you feel it is working ?

Edited by Jimmy B, 15 July 2010 - 02:57 PM.

#52 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy B @ Jul 15 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"We all said" ? Just how many of you responded ? And having seen what is suppossed to be happening it gives me no confidence that our international side is going to benefit by the reported reductions.
Lets just get the Melbourne Storm players into our game and have done with it.

I will answer you in two years time. It is far too early to say weather it is or it isn't.
On what grounds - not whats projected - do you feel it is working ?

This isnt a thread about franchising.. as a very quick answer i think it is working as a year and a half the division looks settled, clubs are moving towards getting their acts in gear or they are getting twitchy bums, clubs in the championship are getting their houses in order as best they can and getting themselves lined up for the next round and they are still trying to win the divisions becuase it is important so there has been no apathy there.. clubs are putting huge emphasis on their youth structures and academies, many of the teams are looking to bring though their youth which shows that the academies are producing it to a good level, the quota is then helping to encourage coaches to put their faith in his youth, or simply forcing their hand which may be more the case with tomkins and noble at wigan..

i believe a year and a half in it is doing what it was set in place to do.. you can easily say whether it is working or not by seeing whether it is doing what it should be doing by this point.. whether it "has worked" or "has failed" is not something tht you can say now.

as i say do you think it is working? (the very nature of the question is that at present in the early reaches is it dong what it set out to do?) you can answer this question in the same way as i have.. look at what franchising is supposed to do and see if the moves are being made that they were expecting and for whih franchising was brought in.. i am not asking for a difinitive "it is the way forward" or "get p&r back" but is it working at the moment.. surely you can answer that..

"we all said" is everyone who answered you.. not a difficult concept. (btw in the post before the one quoted i had already said "3 had answered and we all had said".. this being a conversaion its quite obvious what i meant with "we all said")

whether you have confidence these reductions will work is up to you at least you are now admitting they are happening rather than claiming it is BS

Edited by RP London, 15 July 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#53 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (RP London @ Jul 15 2010, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This isnt a thread about franchising.. as a very quick answer i think it is working as a year and a half the division looks settled, clubs are moving towards getting their acts in gear or they are getting twitchy bums, clubs in the championship are getting their houses in order as best they can and getting themselves lined up for the next round and they are still trying to win the divisions becuase it is important so there has been no apathy there.. clubs are putting huge emphasis on their youth structures and academies, many of the teams are looking to bring though their youth which shows that the academies are producing it to a good level, the quota is then helping to encourage coaches to put their faith in his youth, or simply forcing their hand which may be more the case with tomkins and noble at wigan..

i believe a year and a half in it is doing what it was set in place to do.. you can easily say whether it is working or not by seeing whether it is doing what it should be doing by this point.. whether it "has worked" or "has failed" is not something tht you can say now.

as i say do you think it is working? (the very nature of the question is that at present in the early reaches is it dong what it set out to do?) you can answer this question in the same way as i have.. look at what franchising is supposed to do and see if the moves are being made that they were expecting and for whih franchising was brought in.. i am not asking for a difinitive "it is the way forward" or "get p&r back" but is it working at the moment.. surely you can answer that..

"we all said" is everyone who answered you.. not a difficult concept. (btw in the post before the one quoted i had already said "3 had answered and we all had said".. this being a conversaion its quite obvious what i meant with "we all said")

whether you have confidence these reductions will work is up to you at least you are now admitting they are happening rather than claiming it is BS

Last word with you on this - I repeat, I ASKED weather it was BS I did not claim it was - again - please do not mis quote me.
My question related to an apparent determination to reduce imports as part of the package for bringing in Franchising. From what I have seen there is no apparent difference to what was proposed prior to franchising. The Dave Hadfield report was dated Feb 2007.
End of chat.

#54 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (Jimmy B @ Jul 15 2010, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last word with you on this - I repeat, I ASKED weather it was BS I did not claim it was - again - please do not mis quote me.
My question related to an apparent determination to reduce imports as part of the package for bringing in Franchising. From what I have seen there is no apparent difference to what was proposed prior to franchising. The Dave Hadfield report was dated Feb 2007.
End of chat.

you didnt ask.. you said and i quote "the cynic in me says it was just BS".. that is a statement of what you are thinking not a question.. so NO you didnt ASK.. you suggested it was.. if you dont actually think that and wish you had ASKED fine but the quote (so i didnt misquote.. an apology i know wont be forthcoming even though it would be nice and i apologised when i paraphrased rather than quoted) is you stating not you asking.

Yes the quota issues came in before franchising which is my point.. this is a quota issue not a franchising issue.. franchising was NOT to do with the over seas players it was about many things.. one of which included the type and quality of overseas player (as said many times before.. its about the journeymen and putting in youh instead!)... the fact the quota changes came in before franchises shows that this issue is NOT a franchising one!!!

its the end of the chat for you which means no apology and no answering of a straight forward question.. fantastic,.. i have answered all yours and there is not even the curtesy of a reply to mine.. cheers

right off home for the weekend... just in case you ask a question and get annoyed i dont answer it before monday! I answer questions but i wont until back at a computer just so you know..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users